Who Will Flip Take

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Phenom

Re: Who Will Flip Take

Post by Phenom »

Flip made a big deal about two-way players this time last year. Where is his stance on getting 2 way players at the moment? Does he feel he has enough of those? Did he say how he viewed Oak's defense?
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

He did mention "two-player" again today.

He also commented on Oak's FT % and how it should not be as bad as it is. They are anxious to get him in for a workout so they can evaluate his FT shooting, among other things...
bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232]

Post by bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232] »

I would love it if we took the ready or not you are starting approach with LaVine. We are rebuilding and Martin should be coming off the bench for us.
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

Camden wrote:Yep, he's going to take Okafor.

Ha, no doubt! I see you are fully preparing yourself Cam.

To an offensive minded and old-fashioned coach like Flip, having the opportunity to draft a low-post virtuoso like Okafor is a dream come true. He will rationalize away all of his other shortcomings due to his singular skill-set.

I think it will take damn near a palace coup by his underlings in the front office to change his mind. Oh, intellectually, he grasps the argument for KAT and probably has a soft-spot for Russell too. But emotionally, he'll keep drifting back to Okafor.
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

I hear a lot of people talk about how valuable Martin is as a shooter. I think in a vacuum that is true. He can make a lot of shots and can be streaky good. What nobody talks about or seems to remember is what a spineless jelly fish he is. He has no guts, no flair for the dramatic, no leadership qualities. Plus he's likely to miss a good portion of the season with one of his may ailments. Why can't we see him for what he brings in totality?
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

Q12543 wrote:
Camden wrote:Yep, he's going to take Okafor.

Ha, no doubt! I see you are fully preparing yourself Cam.

To an offensive minded and old-fashioned coach like Flip, having the opportunity to draft a low-post virtuoso like Okafor is a dream come true. He will rationalize away all of his other shortcomings due to his singular skill-set.

I think it will take damn near a palace coup by his underlings in the front office to change his mind. Oh, intellectually, he grasps the argument for KAT and probably has a soft-spot for Russell too. But emotionally, he'll keep drifting back to Okafor.

Like a lot of you I would prefer Towns. But I don't think it will be very hard for me to get excited about Okafor if he's the choice. He would make things a lot easier for our other players. Provided he improves as a free thrower, he could be a great end of game option. He will demand double teams and passes very well out of them. We're just going to have to win 119-108 instead of 104-95.
mrhockey89

Post by mrhockey89 »

Just for the record, guys....we have the #1 pick...It's pretty tough to mess that up because even if Flip makes the wrong choice, it's still likely going to be a right choice. ALL 3 of those guys will make this team a lot better, and will likely be a big building block for the future.
Papalrep

Post by Papalrep »

Hockey--Just for the record, guys....we have the #1 pick...It's pretty tough to mess that up because even if Flip makes the wrong choice, it's still likely going to be a right choice. ALL 3 of those guys will make this team a lot better, and will likely be a big building block for the future.

That may be true, but looking at ot that way robs us of our ability to pontificate and show off our great basketball minds
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

mrhockey89 wrote:Just for the record, guys....we have the #1 pick...It's pretty tough to mess that up because even if Flip makes the wrong choice, it's still likely going to be a right choice. ALL 3 of those guys will make this team a lot better, and will likely be a big building block for the future.

Go look back at the last 20 to 25 drafts. It's typically 50/50 in terms of the top two picks. One guy turns into a stud and the other guy is anywhere from a total bust to mediocre. It is absolutely not a sure thing.
mrhockey89

Post by mrhockey89 »

Q12543 wrote:
mrhockey89 wrote:Just for the record, guys....we have the #1 pick...It's pretty tough to mess that up because even if Flip makes the wrong choice, it's still likely going to be a right choice. ALL 3 of those guys will make this team a lot better, and will likely be a big building block for the future.

Go look back at the last 20 to 25 drafts. It's typically 50/50 in terms of the top two picks. One guy turns into a stud and the other guy is anywhere from a total bust to mediocre. It is absolutely not a sure thing.

I don't disagree with that, but I don't think we can suggest past drafted players can be an indicator for future (unrelated) players results. Just as the past 20-25 drafts history would suggest the Wolves wouldn't end up with the #1 overall pick.

If we were assuming that one will bust though, you have to take Okafor, because his offensive skill set on the low post are a virtual lock to translate.

Side note Q, on your reasons to draft Okafor thread you forgot to mention Okafor's enormous hands