NBA Lottery reform is coming

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
TheGrey08

Re: NBA Lottery reform is coming

Post by TheGrey08 »

TheFuture wrote:Tanking is done in every sport. It's just much more noticeable in a star driven league. To lessen the years a team is in tanking mode I think they just need to set up the lottery in tiers. The top 5 worst records in the league should have one "bowl" of lottery balls, so those 5 teams would be guaranteed to pick no lower than the fifth pick. 6-10 worst records have a separate bowl for the 6-10 picks, and 11-14 for those picks. 15-30 simply go by record. I think that would work just fine. You'd no longer have someone with the 3rd worst record picking 7th, 9th, and 6th in 3 years straight. That's the problem with the lottery. The gutter teams cannot get out of the gutter.

Agreed. If they MUST keep some type of lottery this is the only way to go just like the NHL does it.
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

That strategy just doesn't work. If you do three years worth of records the bad teams probably get at least 5 years of good picks before they finally win enough to pull that record up. That's too many good picks. You get 3 and then you move on. If the Sixers have the worst record in the league for 3 years, they aren't going to be a playoff team all of a sudden and pull that record up. Say they have the 10th best record in year 4. That's probably going to still net them a top 5 pick because of how much the previous 2 years would pull down their record. That's too many high picks in a row especially when you essentially control a player for 4-9 years right out of the gate under the current CBA.

edit: talking about multiple years deciding the picks
TheGrey08

Post by TheGrey08 »

Okay, maybe 3 is too much, but I think 2 would work fine. It would prevent instant tanking for the top pick. Plus it would be unlikely that the same team would be the worst team in the league multiple years. The bottom 5-10 usually gets mixed up a decent amount.
horatio81 [enjin:7751176]

Post by horatio81 [enjin:7751176] »

Call me paranoid, but I think this is mostly about giving poorly run big-market teams like the Lakers and Knicks a better shot at landing top three picks going forward. These squads will never be talent-poor to the tune of 15-18 wins (typical top-3 territory) nor are they run well enough to compete with the OKCs and San Antonios of the world. The league is rigging the system to give the LA and NY teams a more plausible chance to win the lottery so we don't flip out when that's exactly what happens over the next 4-5 years.
alexftbl8181 [enjin:6648741]

Post by alexftbl8181 [enjin:6648741] »

anything to change from what the 76ers are doing. What they're putting their fanbase through is a crime
Monster

Post by Monster »

alexftbl8181 wrote:anything to change from what the 76ers are doing. What they're putting their fanbase through is a crime

If I was their fan I would be just fine with what they are doing. They are aquiring assets and possible really good players going forward. What did you want them to be first round fodder for the top seeded teams in the east for the next 5 years? Of course it helps I really liked MCW in last year's draft and I still like his potential a lot. What they are doing takes balls it and it might pay off we will see mostly it depends on health of those big guys.

monsterpile wrote:
alexftbl8181 wrote:anything to change from what the 76ers are doing. What they're putting their fanbase through is a crime

If I was their fan I would be just fine with what they are doing. They are aquiring assets and possible really good players going forward. What did you want them to be first round fodder for the top seeded teams in the east for the next 5 years? Of course it helps I really liked MCW in last year's draft and I still like his potential a lot. What they are doing takes balls it and it might pay off we will see mostly it depends on health of those big guys.

anything to change from what the 76ers are doing. What they're putting their fanbase through is a crime

It's a crime because there is absolutely zero reason to watch a 76er game, much less buy a ticket. They could somehow be even worse next year then they were last year. It's not fair to players like MCW, who has to stew in that losing culture for years, before he has a chance for any pay off.

They tanked all year last year to get the top pick, only to end up with a lower pick then two teams (bucks,cavs) who were trying to win.

It's easy to say that maybe in 3-4 years they'll be very good. It could just end up nobody wants to play or coach a team that's been losing that long.

Yes I would much rather root for a 1st round and out team for 4 years, then a team with no hope of winning more then 20 games for the next 4 years
TheGrey08

Post by TheGrey08 »

monsterpile wrote:

True, but it's shitty to have a fairly young talented team that is getting better and then you just blow it all up again. This wouldn't happen if teams couldn't blow it up & tank so easily/quickly.

TheGrey08 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:

True, but it's shitty to have a fairly young talented team that is getting better and then you just blow it all up again. This wouldn't happen if teams couldn't blow it up & tank so easily/quickly.

Or it turns out players don't like to lose and force their way out like so many other superstars. If Emblid turns out to be good but they are still winning 30 games, people are going to call him a loser just like Love, and he'll be teaming up with Wiggins in Minny in 2021! Book it!

Last thought on the 76ers.

I would hate to be known as the garbage dump of the NBA.

Hey need to get rid of an overpriced player player? Dump him to the 76ers for a 2nd round pick.

Hey need a 3rd team to made a trade work? ask the 76ers! They'll take your trash