Flip's Agenda - #1. New Coach

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Re: Flip's Agenda - #1. New Coach

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

longstrangetrip wrote:Anyone listen to Flip on Mike and Mike this morning? Definitely a different tone than he set yesterday when asked about his interest in coaching. Today he said "There's been a lot of talk about that, but I don't see it happening". Sounded pretty definitive, and made me wonder what had changed in a day. It's not totally unlikely that he met with Glen after yesterday's presser, and Glen told him that he was not a candidate for the coaching position. Just conjecture on my part, but it was interesting to me how differently he was speaking today.

I watched todays M&M, but I didn't have anything to compare it to honestly. I've never believed that Flip was going to be the head coach of this team, though. I missed whatever presser apparently.
Phenom

Post by Phenom »

Thanks for the info Lip. I would be stoked if Freddy wanted the job and got it.

On a side note, if Vogel were to get canned he would jump to the top of my list.

Phenom's_Revenge wrote:Thanks for the info Lip. I would be stoked if Freddy wanted the job and got it.

On a side note, if Vogel were to get canned he would jump to the top of my list.

Vogel would jump to third on my list. What's the difference between Vogel and Hollins?
Phenom

Post by Phenom »

I like both to be honest. By top of the list, I really mean a group of guys I would very happy with: Van Gundy, Hollins, Vogel, Hoiberg. You know, anyone whose name starts with a V or H, apparently.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

longstrangetrip wrote:Anyone listen to Flip on Mike and Mike this morning? Definitely a different tone than he set yesterday when asked about his interest in coaching. Today he said "There's been a lot of talk about that, but I don't see it happening". Sounded pretty definitive, and made me wonder what had changed in a day. It's not totally unlikely that he met with Glen after yesterday's presser, and Glen told him that he was not a candidate for the coaching position. Just conjecture on my part, but it was interesting to me how differently he was speaking today.

Long -- I had exactly the same thought. Sure seemed like Glen had a stern chat with Flip.
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

At the presser Flip laid out the steps for finding a coach. He was going to sit down with Glen to layout the characteristics they want in a new coach. This is probably where the "stern chat" about Flip NOT being a candidate happened. Next was for Flip to use his immense body of connections to coaches to generate a list of candidates, and then contact those candidates to gauge their interest. The interview process would come next, where a comparison of "visions" for the team would take place.

I wonder how open Flip will be about the progress of the coaching search. Surely he won't pull a Kahn and disappear for a few weeks holding secret interview sessions with potential candidates...
mjs34

Post by mjs34 »

I am pretty sure I saw the word secretive used in an article quoting Flip on the coaching search!
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

I'm fine with Flip being secretive so long as he moves quickly and aggressively in pursing elite head coaching candidates, including SVG.
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

One factor that needs to be considered in the timing of our next coach...competition. Right now, the only other teams also looking for a new coach are the Knicks, Pistons and Jazz. I can't imagine anyone good is craving the job in Utah or Detroilet, but the NY job might be intriguing for some. A guy who likes a microphone and a camera, like SVG, might want the biggest market experience.

So far, none of the four coachless teams have made any moves...perhaps they are all waiting to see if any playoff teams make a coaching change.

longstrangetrip wrote:One factor that needs to be considered in the timing of our next coach...competition. Right now, the only other teams also looking for a new coach are the Knicks, Pistons and Jazz. I can't imagine anyone good is craving the job in Utah or Detroilet, but the NY job might be intriguing for some. A guy who likes a microphone and a camera, like SVG, might want the biggest market experience.

So far, none of the four coachless teams have made any moves...perhaps they are all waiting to see if any playoff teams make a coaching change.

SVG won't end up in NY. I'd be willing to make a large bet on that one. Wrong system fit and Phil Jax needs someone he can take under his wing. Stan's too established for all that nonsense.

Everyone's doing that, including us. If McHale gets the boot... I could see Flip throwing him a bone. I don't want Kevin, though.