Flip's Agenda - #1. New Coach

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Re: Flip's Agenda - #1. New Coach

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

lipoli390 wrote:Among the candidates known or believed to want a NBA head coaching position who haven't been hired by any other team yet, here are my top candidates for the Wolves position in order of preference:

1. Fred Hoiberg
2. Billy Donovan
3. Bill Blatt
4. Mark Jackson
5. Scott Skiles
6. Lionel Hollins
7. George Karl
8. flip Saunders

I have zero interest in Byone not on this list.

Donovan is for certain not leaving Florida. Not only was that my opinion from the start, but my close friend's father works relatively high within UF's athletic department and that's what he's told me as well.

Question: Scott Skiles over Hollins and Karl? Why why why.
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

lipoli390 wrote:Among the candidates known or believed to want a NBA head coaching position who haven't been hired by any other team yet, here are my top candidates for the Wolves position in order of preference:

1. Fred Hoiberg
2. Billy Donovan
3. Bill Blatt
4. Mark Jackson
5. Scott Skiles
6. Lionel Hollins
7. George Karl
8. flip Saunders

I have zero interest in Byone not on this list.

I like your top three a lot, and also am partial to Hollins. Blatt has openly said he wants to coach in the NBA, but I thought I read that he prefers to be in the Northeast where his roots are. Hoiberg and Donavan have openly said that they are not leaving their college jobs, but of course things can always change. I haven't heard any public Hollins comments, but he's still a young man and almost certainly wants to coach in the NBA again...too bad his boy doesn't still play for the Gophers, because that could have been a selling point. I would not be happy with the other 4 guys on the list for various reasons.

The ugly unavoidable fact is that David Kahn's Love blunder really detracts from the attractiveness of our coaching position. I don't know, of course, but I suspect that it is a major reason that Freddy isn't interested yet. Better to wait 3-4 years to see if the pieces in the post-Love era are good enough to make a run, and let somebody else suffer through the lean years. Your point that NBA jobs are rare and will always be desirable is certainly true, but the top guys know that new opportunities come up every year, and since none of them are financially destitute, they can afford to wait for the right opportunity.

Lionel Hollins is a sneaky 60-years old. Not exactly a young man.
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

I'm not mad at anyone, except maybe Pera. I don't think any amount of "perceived" feet dragging on the Wolves part made a damn bit of difference. Memphis was not going to let Joerger go until he and Pera had a one-on-one meeting. And that meeting is what decided the outcome.

But that doesn't make it any less gut wrenching to have come so close to finding "the right coach", only to see him slip away. Damn!

Oh well. Time heals all wounds. I'll give Flip a pass on this one, and we'll see how well he rebounds. It occurs to me this is just like last years draft: excited about #9, but KCP is taken one pick earlier, and we pass on McCollum only to wind up with Shabazz. But it turns out Flip did just fine in the draft after all...
bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232]

Post by bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232] »

The more I found out about Joerger the less I liked. So I am not heart broken.

At this point if I was Glen I would say. Flip you focus on the draft and trade options for KLove. The window to hire a coach is closed until after the draft. Build the team and then bring in 5 coaches that want the job and have them sell their vision of the team. If they can't mold their system to the players in place they likely are not a good fit for the job.
mjs34

Post by mjs34 »

So Joerger was playing the wolves -

Dave Joerger says on Sports 56/87.7FM he was offered Minnesota job but wasn't tough decision after talking with Robert Pera Twitter @Eli560 - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.RWPku9Kj.dpuf

sjm34 wrote:So Joerger was playing the wolves -

Dave Joerger says on Sports 56/87.7FM he was offered Minnesota job but wasn't tough decision after talking with Robert Pera Twitter @Eli560 - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.RWPku9Kj.dpuf

Got himself more money. Hard to be mad at the guy.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

I don't blame Flip at all for losing out on Joerger. In fact, I give Flip a lot of credit for taking a shot at hiring him. At this point, I'm with Bleed in thinking that Flip should now focus primarily on the draft and deciding what to do with Love. It might be easier to hire a new coach once the uncertainty surrounding Love is gone, regardless of whether the Wolves keep or trade him.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Camden0916 wrote:
sjm34 wrote:So Joerger was playing the wolves -

Got himself more money. Hard to be mad at the guy.

And got to stay with a team he has been with since 2006 and built all those relationships with the players and that roster is better than the Wolves Love or no Love. I doubt Joerger even interviews if he thought his job was secure. He got assurance he was wanted there so it was a no-brainer. Good for him. This is sorta like Kerr picking a better roster over working for Phil. Its a no-brainer really.

Wolfson: Spoke w/ George Karl. On #Twolves: "I respect the process. I want to coach again, and Minnesota fits my criteria." Still no contact w/ Flip.

What the fuck are we doing interviewing Sam Mitchell then?