Flip's Agenda - #1. New Coach

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Re: Flip's Agenda - #1. New Coach

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

60WinTim wrote:I am guessing Doogie was adding some sarcasm, but here's a tweet from this morning...

Darren Wolfson ?@DarrenWolfson 13m
No. Izzo has to say no first. RT @twolvesfan @DarrenWolfson Heard any new names mentioned as #Twolves candidates in the last couple of days?

Saw that too. I thought he was just being a smartass, though.
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

And Barreiro had this to say, which makes some sense:

Dan Barreiro ?@DanBarreiroKFAN 1h
Do not look for Wolves to make a coaching move before draft lottery order is set on May 20.
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

I don't like Hollins because of his complete lack of respect for the role advanced stats should play with a team. It's one of the main reasons they let him go in Memphis because he was wasting their effort to bring the stats into the mix after the hiring of Hollinger. I don't think a team should be run by advanced stats, but they do have their place and he was having none of it in Memphis. Izzo and Freddy are staying in college. I don't like the idea of bringing a college coach to coach this team. We aren't young and rebuilding. We have too many veterans to not bring in a veteran head or assistant NBA coach. I don't like Karl's system with Love and Pek as our bigs as they will get run down quickly if they have to play at Karl's traditional pace. He's also never been known as much of a defensive guru. SVG gets to be picky with his next gig being the top coach on the market and I don't know if we have what it takes to get him with Love's pending free agency. Kerr is going to take one of the big jobs whether it be the Lakers or Knicks. Jackson was a paranoid train wreck in GS off the court and whether he was a good coach or not, I don't want that kind of presence in this organization.

To be honest, I have no idea who we should realistically go all-in after. I think the best move would be to give a respected assistant around the league a chance. I don't know who that is, but he's not going to care about the pending Love free agency because he'll finally be given the keys to the car and it will give us a shot to find a long-term fit instead of a fill-in veteran coach who will just flame out in a couple years like most seem to do nowadays. Whatever happened with Elston Turner? I thought at one point we were thinking of bringing him on as Adelman's successor. He was last 4 for the Blazers job last year and has gotten close to a few gigs. He would certainly fit the criteria of a similar thinker to Adelman given how long he was an assistant under him. Could be a good fit as he went after some defensive coordinator gigs which shows he'll be attentive to that end of the ball more-so than some of these other candidates.
Papalrep

Post by Papalrep »

It's goona be Sam Cassell - Flip's guy. Hope he's good
Papalrep

Post by Papalrep »

gonna -- sorry, I hate bad grammar
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

So much for Stan...

Marc J. Spears ?@SpearsNBAYahoo 35m
The Warriors have contacted former NBA head coach Stan Van Gundy about their head coach opening, a source told Yahoo. No interview set yet.

Marc J. Spears ?@SpearsNBAYahoo 33m
Former NBA coach Stan Van Gundy has interest in the job, a source said. Van Gundy has not had interest in openings with Lakers and Wolves.

Marc J. Spears ?@SpearsNBAYahoo 6m
A little-known Stan Van Gundy fact is he is a Bay Area native who starred at guard for Alhambra High School in Martinez.
BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520]

Post by BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520] »

60WinTim wrote:So much for Stan...

Marc J. Spears ?@SpearsNBAYahoo 35m
The Warriors have contacted former NBA head coach Stan Van Gundy about their head coach opening, a source told Yahoo. No interview set yet.

Marc J. Spears ?@SpearsNBAYahoo 33m
Former NBA coach Stan Van Gundy has interest in the job, a source said. Van Gundy has not had interest in openings with Lakers and Wolves.

Marc J. Spears ?@SpearsNBAYahoo 6m
A little-known Stan Van Gundy fact is he is a Bay Area native who starred at guard for Alhambra High School in Martinez.

So he was never even contacted by Flip, or he just mentioned his lack of interest when asked by a reporter?
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

We have not been told if Stan was contacted. But I am sure Flip would have at least made contact to gauge his interest...
BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520]

Post by BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520] »

60WinTim wrote:We have not been told if Stan was contacted. But I am sure Flip would have at least made contact to gauge his interest...

I'm not so sure, I would have thought some Tweeter/blogger would have found out.
A Friendly Flatulence [enjin:8907904]

Post by A Friendly Flatulence [enjin:8907904] »

What exactly has flip been doing recently? He is getting paid to do something I hope