Flip's Agenda - #1. New Coach

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Phenom

Re: Flip's Agenda - #1. New Coach

Post by Phenom »

60WinTim wrote:Latest update...

Marc Stein ?@ESPNSteinLine 2m
Story going online now: ESPN sources say Wolves have made "significant progress" in bid to hire Dave Joerger away from Grizz as new coach

BOOM. Im liking Flip as PoBo more everyday.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

Joerger's coming... http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/10968833
BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520]

Post by BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520] »

Sounds like good progress is being made. However, I'll keep the Joergermeister on ice until I hear an official announcement.
Monster

Post by Monster »

60WinTim wrote:Wow! GREAT find monster!!! Barreiro could learn a few things about how to grill Flip on the Funkadelic!

It seems so obvious that Memphis is trying to position themselves in two ways: 1) to get as much compensation from the Wolves as possible, and 2) trying to sell their fan base on the idea that letting Joerger go is "the right thing to do for Joerger's benefit", and not "we don't want him". And the interviewer just ain't buying it!

The only thing I wish we had a better understanding of is why doesn't Pera want him?

Yes I think its obvious that Memphis knows we want Joerger and even senses we are kinda screwed/desparate with the whole Love thing so they figure they can try and get something out of us while also not having to pay him any salary.

What's bizarre is that whoever the people (its not always been the same people in charge right) that have been running Memphis the last few years has done a tremendous job. The only thing I can really think of that they screwed up was not trading Mayo for something when they had the chance. Other than that they keep making pretty solid moves and have drafted pretty well. It seems this new owner is a little crazy and you know winning can make people do stupid things. Para almost fired Joerger early in the season? This league is bat poop crazy right now. Hiring Joerger will keep me watching the Wolves.
worldK

Post by worldK »

Joerger as our coach seems to be almost a done deal. The guy has the makeup of a great coach with more experience. He is only 40 and is a local guy. i can see him coaching the team for a long time, gives us stability.

With or without love next season, joerger is the right hire. Has nba coaching experience, winning 50 games despite his best player missing 20+games. He coach a vet team with strong personalities like zach randolph and did a good job and earn their respect. Won championships at the d-league. Was defense coordinator for hollins when the grizzlies starts emerging as an elite defensive team. He will be good and can grow with the team.
mjs34

Post by mjs34 »

I think Flip should ask the Griz for a second round pick. We are letting them walk away from a contract they clearly don't want. You don't let a coach interview for other jobs if you are happy with him. Supposedly the wolves ask for permission before the blowup in the FO in Memphis, which is likely why they didn't fire Joerger along with the others.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Joerger would be a really good choice for all the reasons given in World's post. But we should not sign him if Memphis insists on getting a draft pick in return.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

lipoli390 wrote:Joerger would be a really good choice for all the reasons given in World's post. But we should not sign him if Memphis insists on getting a draft pick in return.

We have three 2nd rounders in this draft. According to Wolfson, Taylor values these picks at approx $1.5M a piece. Obviously it's not my money, but if it was, I'd throw our lowest (or highest depending on how you process numbers) 2 at Memphis and take their 50-win coach. This franchise needs momentum and stability. I feel like Joerger can bring both.

Sure, we could wait around and try to wait for them to fire him. I just don't think that's the smartest move. Anything can happen when you don't take initiative.
Phenom

Post by Phenom »

I have no problem giving up a second round pick for him. No reason to get cute when, for all we know, the Grizzlies have no problem holding on to him. Adrian Wojnarowski says that the Grizzlies have been reluctant to let him interview with others. The Wolves do not need 3 or 4 second round picks anyway.
worldK

Post by worldK »

Il give the grizz the lowest of our 2nd round picks or the cash equivalent of it.

Lets face it, no way grizz keeps him after telling the world that they want to give joerger the chance to coach on his home state. It would be a pr disaster for them to retain joerger and it will negatively affect their players and team.

They are holding out for compensation. Considering we have 3 second round picks and given glen and flip's history, we will sell one or two of those picks anyway.( whatever happen to the 26th pick we own in the first round last year?) Give them a second. A goodwill on our part and lets get this rolling.