Flip's Agenda - #1. New Coach

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
worldK

Re: Flip's Agenda - #1. New Coach

Post by worldK »

alexftbl8181 wrote:
longstrangetrip wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
bleedspeed177 wrote:So who are the at large candidates?

Flip - Age 59
Sam - Age 44
Fred - Age 41
Karl - Age 63
Lionel - Age 60

Thanks for posting this I hadn't realized Hollins was that old. I mean its not that old, but its old enough after the Adelman situation.

Bleed, you gave Sam Cassell's age. The "Sam" the Wolves are rumored to be interested in is Sam Mitchell, and he's 50.

Yes! bring back Sam to coach, Chauncy and Joe smith as assistants, and Troy Hudson on the PA. If your going to get the gang together, do it big!

How dare you left out fan fave anthoney peeler! He may still have those photos of flip with him...
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

I have to admit I'm conflicted about the Sam Mitchell rumor, even though I've always been a fan of his. Mitchell wants the best for his players, but he also expects 100% from them at all times, which is the way he played, and he can be tough on players when they underachieve. And this caused some problems when he was coaching Toronto. While most Raptors of that era talk positively about Mitchell, he had serious conflicts with a few players, most memorably Rafer Alston. I think Alston is a whining baby, so I blame him for the conflict, but there is an argument that today's NBA player needs to be coddled and a too-tough coach might be a problem. If I recall correctly, Mitchell was eventually fired because of a disagreement about how to handle Bargnani. Mitchell saw him as a remarkably skilled player with superstar potential, but thought he needed tough love in order to reach his potential. Raptor management disagreed and ordered Mitchell to be softer with Bargnani...and we all know what an underachiever Bargnani turned out to be.

I actually think Mitchell's style could work with this Wolves' team. His drive for excellence could lead to the same kind of 20- win improvement Toronto had in Sam's coach of the year season. Unlike Adelman, who showed his displeasure with players in a passive aggressive manner, players always know where they stand with Sam. And they know he will do anything for them if they put out the effort. I think he's the kind of coach who could get the most out of our hard-working young players, like Rubio, Muhammad and Dieng.

It's a risk, but I think it's a risk with a big upside.
maelstrom11 [enjin:6599701]

Post by maelstrom11 [enjin:6599701] »

I wouldn't mind Mitchell but I'd question whether or not he's got the Xs and Os to run this squad. If he'd be willing to keep a few of Adelman's assistants around and run a similar offense as last year I could see him working out. If he try's to put in a new offense I could see him being a disaster.
Monster

Post by Monster »

The last couple of posts about Sam Mitchell are interesting and about where I stand with him as a possible coach.

Here is a name that hasn't been mentioned much but COULD be a guy that could help keep Love in Minny. Nate McMilian. Why do I say that? Well Nate has been with coach K on team USA since 2006 so maybe Love has a good relationship with Nate. I have no idea if they have much of a relationship or not but its something interesting and Nate is still coaching with the Pacers. I think the Wolves job would he a tough sell for him with Love's status uncertain but anyway I thought I would throw that out there Nate has has alot of success we could do much worse than hiring him imo.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

Name to watch: Dave Joerger
Monster

Post by Monster »

Camden wrote:Name to watch: Dave Joerger

I remember he was a guy we looked at before we hired Adelman. He has ties to Flip so yeah. I'd be pretty excited about Joerger I would have been 3 years ago. If Memphis dumps him he won't be out of work for long.
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/233491/Grizzlies-Interested-In-Thibodeau-With-Bulls-Looking-At-Hoiberg

I found this little nugget interesting, but mostly because Simmons says matter-of-factly that the Bulls would hire Hoiberg if Tibs went to the Griz. I don't like Simmons much, but he doesn't often just pull stuff out of his ass. This tells me that Freddy isn't that tied to Ames. I always thought Iowa State was our competition (if we wanted him), but it sounds like our real competition is other NBA teams.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

Lol if getting Thibs was that simple, someone else would have acquired him already. Chicago's not stupid. They see what the guy gets done.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Please, not Sam Mitchell!!! He had one successful season as head coach and the next season his players rebelled and quit on him. It's time to reach beyond the old country club to fill key basketball positions with this franchise. And if we're such with the country club for this hire, I'd take Flip over Mitchell any day.

I'm still hoping for Hollins or Fred but I'm not holding my breath.
worldK

Post by worldK »

If joerger became available, he will my choice over hoiberg. Dave has ties to the city and he can coach both offense and defense and has actual nba coaching experience.