Wolves Off-Season Rumors

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Wolves Off-Season Rumors

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

#Wolves & #Nets discussing a trade. Could involve a sign and trade with one of Nets free agents. Budinger, Shved, M.Thornton names involved.
mrhockey89

Re: Wolves Off-Season Rumors

Post by mrhockey89 »

Sounds like a deal to try to get us out of some contracts. Unfortunately, I really wish we wouldn't trade Chase when his value's at it's lowest. Don't mind it otherwise.
worldK

Post by worldK »

Works salary wise and 2 wing for 1 to clear the logjam makes sense. I have no interest in thornton though, hope we could trade his expiring for a big or pg.

worldK wrote:Works salary wise and 2 wing for 1 to clear the logjam makes sense. I have no interest in thornton though, hope we could trade his expiring for a big or pg.

I'm pretty sure we'd be getting Thornton via S/T so it wouldn't be getting him to move him elsewhere. He'd fill our backup SG role and add another quality shooter to a team that needs them badly.
KiwiMatt

Post by KiwiMatt »

Wolves interested in Trevor Booker according to hoopshype.
worldK

Post by worldK »

Camden0916 wrote:
worldK wrote:Works salary wise and 2 wing for 1 to clear the logjam makes sense. I have no interest in thornton though, hope we could trade his expiring for a big or pg.

I'm pretty sure we'd be getting Thornton via S/T so it wouldn't be getting him to move him elsewhere. He'd fill our backup SG role and add another quality shooter to a team that needs them badly.

Cam, what are you talking about? thornton has 1 more yr remaining. Why on earth would a sign and trade be needed?

worldK wrote:
Camden0916 wrote:

Cam, what are you talking about? thornton has 1 more yr remaining. Why on earth would a sign and trade be needed?

Oop! You are correct. For some unknown reason I was led to believe he was a free agent. That's my fault for not checking.

I still think if we traded for him, we'd keep him.
Monster

Post by Monster »

I don't know how much there really is to this rumor but I don't like the idea of dumping Bud but if there are real concerns about his knee it makes sense. I used to really like Thornton but the last couple years I've cooled on him a lot. The trade does make some sense the Nets are sort of desparate (why they might take a chance on Bud's health) and last I looked on hoopshype they had a lot of roster spots open so a 2 for 1 might make sense for them. Thornton is an expiring so that would give us some cap space for next year if Bud didn't opt out.

What would be the point of cap space? It could be as simple as the ability for one or 2 of the euro guys to sign next year. If we made that trade and made no other moves between JJ Thornton and Luc we would have over 16 million in expirings next year. Also that would be an interesting group to take back an expensive player in a trade... Hmm
repplile [enjin:8691898]

Post by repplile [enjin:8691898] »

Camden0916 wrote:
Oop! You are correct. For some unknown reason I was led to believe he was a free agent. That's my fault for not checking.

I still think if we traded for him, we'd keep him.

I think you probably thought that because he's one of the nets shortest lived contracts. Now that Livingston's been signed by GS they don't have any notable free agents besides Paul Pierce and Jason Collins neither of whom are coming here so it makes the original tweet seem a bit suspect.

I'd honestly like to make a move to get KG back in the fold, and I'd bet if we're talking trade with BKN that's Flip's motivation as well. He could be a good mentor to our young guys and help instill a professional attitude in our locker room. Playing out his last year as a t-wolf would put a lot more butts in the seats at target center next year and build some community good will in the wake of Love's departure. Zgoda and others have been saying that once KG retires he will probably assume a small ownership stake in the Wolves/ be a minor member of the coaching staff. This would just bring him here a year earlier.

I think it makes a lot of sense for basketball reasons too. Our team is awful defensively because nobody besides rubio seems to care much at that end. KG does and I think his attitude along with fans reverence for him would inspire a lot of the younger players to build that part of their games up. Cap space wise he's a 12m expiring that we could use to consolidate a lot of our mid sized contracts and free up roster spots. Brooklyn needs more players (they're only at 11) and I bet they'd love to shed KG since they already have Plumlee, Teletovic, and Kirilenko able to play PF next season. Furthermore if Pierce leaves, coupled with Kidd's departure I doubt KG would be very happy to be there. In contrast I think there's no question he'd waive his no trade clause to come back and play here for his old coach. I'd welcome him back with open arms.
Phenom

Post by Phenom »

That would be crazy if KG came back and stepped in for Love. CRAZY. I wouldn't be expecting big things from him obviously.

As for Thornton, I would like to have someone with his scoring ability off the bench. Should have just gotten him in the Derrick Williams deal to begin with.