Things I don't like about Jimmy Butler

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Things I don't like about Jimmy Butler

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

I'm one of the few desperate holdouts on this board that is still hoping Jimmy reconsiders and signs a long-term deal here...despite the promising Butlerless Jazz game, we still are a much better team with him than without.

That said, and despite the fact that I don't hate him to the degree many here do, his attitude irritates me sometimes and moves me closer to the "get rid of him now" camp. To provide some help in moving LST along, I thought we could have a thread totally dedicated to negative things about Butler...and there will be many until he is gone. I'll start in the following post, and am looking forward to some participation. One ground rule...NO BUTLER POSITIVITY WELCOME IN THIS THREAD.

Re: Things I don't like about Jimmy Butler

I really hated his "all about me" appearance at Derrick Rose's moving post-game press conference Wednesday night, forcing the camera to pan away from Rose and toward him for 15 seconds. It was weirdly narcissistic. Butler would probably say he was just supporting his boy, but it sure looked to me like he couldn't stand Rose getting some of the oxygen that Jimmy has been absorbing for the past month. Grow up, Butler.
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

Good thread LST. Butler came up the ranks as a worker and a grinder, an unheralded prospect to say the least, and a pretty difficult childhood to boot. What bugs me is that someone from those humble beginnings - really up until just a few years ago - has become such a self-centered, machiavellian ass.

He still exudes that blue collar work ethic on the floor, but he is the very opposite of that off the floor - more like a political operative that uses P.R. and a lot of hot air to manipulate the narrative around him.

Very good point, Q. This is a difficult thread for me, because I embarrassingly predicted after Thibs traded for Butler that Jimmy would retire as "the most popular T-Wolf ever". I really believed it, but man does it look stupid now.

Lip may provide some insight into up-close dick-ness he has observed during games.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

LST - I'm glad you started this thread. It shows you know and admit you have a problem, which of course is the first step to recovery. So now it's up to the rest of us on this Board, your friends, to help you in your long-overdue recovery.

1. I'll start by echoing your take on Butler's weirdly narcissistic interruption of the Rose press conference. The way it looked to you was the way it looked to me and any objective observer. Even my wife, who loves Jimmy, was disgusted by Butler's impromptu and obviously self-absorbed cameo.

2. I'll continue with what I heard recently from a guy who has had professional dealings with several of the Wolves players and other players around the League, including Butler. He said that Butler is the prima dona of prima donas. He told me that Butler acts like royalty and treats staff, assistants, service industry people etc., with contempt.

3. He's dishonest and lacks the courage of his convictions. In other words, he's a coward. What was telling to me was the story a few months ago from the Chicago reporter (Joe Cowley) who is close to Butler, reporting that Butler was fed up with Towns and what Butler apparently referred to as Towns' nonchalant attitude. Shorterly thereafter, Butler posted that video where he was talking as if he was about to comment on that story before he abruptly stopped the video with a wry smile on his face. Since his public trade demand, he's made conflicting comments - in one breath calling out his teammates, and in another breath saying it's NOT his teammates, but management that has caused him to seek a trade. He's clearly being dishonest and manipulative.

4. I'll end for now with the 4th quarter of Monday's Laker game. It was a great, close game in the 4th and Towns was having a particularly great game. Towns was suddenly left to guard LeBron 1 on 1 on a switch. Not surprisingly, LeBron drove around Towns and scored on a layup - something LeBron has been doing his whole career better than perhaps any player in League history. Towns clearly tried to stay with him, never game up, but couldn't stop him. As Towns was coming to the bench, Butler was screaming at him about that play. It was a disgusting display by Butler. Towns to that point was having a tremendous game - scoring, passing, fighting for every rebound. I was there and can attest to the consistently intense effort Towns gave in a tough, highly competitive game. This display by Butler was yet another in a long line of exhibits illustrating that Butler is a jerk and the antithesis of a leader.

OK LST, I think that's about all you can handle for now. I don't want to overwhelm you into a relapse. I'm just thrilled to know you're on the road to recovery.
Monster

Post by Monster »

longstrangetrip wrote:I really hated his "all about me" appearance at Derrick Rose's moving post-game press conference Wednesday night, forcing the camera to pan away from Rose and toward him for 15 seconds. It was weirdly narcissistic. Butler would probably say he was just supporting his boy, but it sure looked to me like he couldn't stand Rose getting some of the oxygen that Jimmy has been absorbing for the past month. Grow up, Butler.

Butler coming in there during that PC of Rose isn't exactly what bothers me it's that it was the ONLY time he was a part of that whole night. He has said these are his guys all that shit and then he is nowhere to be found in an incredible night and then comes in a does that? That was when I was officially done with Butler.
TAFKASP

Post by TAFKASP »

I hate how Jimmy makes KAT pout.
I hate how Jimmy's effort makes Wiggins look disinterested.
I hate how Jimmy's situation makes Glenn appear incompetent.
I hate how Jimmy and the other Timberbulls, with all their baggage, make the players who were supposed to be this franchises savior's look underwhelming.
I hate Jimmy.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Via a conversation on Twitter Wolfson had with a fan after they listened to Glen's appearance on Doogie's podcast the conversation ended up saying that we have heard from Jimmy and now heard from Glen and we still don't really know why Butler wants to be traded. Glen basically said he wasn't sure and said that was a question for Jimmy. Glen and Thibs don't deserve the benefit of the doubt but Butler doesn't either. It's like Butler went from being kind of a cranky very good player (maybe kinda like a KG but not the same talent level) to being a weirdo more along the lines of Demarcus Cousins or Ron Artest that need significant management and can't be the main guy of your team or you are probably in very big trouble.
crazy-canuck [enjin:18955461]

Post by crazy-canuck [enjin:18955461] »

1. He's full of shit.

Everyone else is the problem, but himself. Jimmy is a team game. Theres no "I" in team but there is one in JimME.

2. Narcissistic

The rose interruption during the post game interview was bad, but i thought his instagram pic the day after was just as bad.

3. Non-leader

He was supposed to come in and lead the young guys abd he even said the right things in that regard. But, he always saw them as competition and did what he could to separate himself from them.

4. JimME iso ball in close games at the end of quarters.

Self-explanatory.

5. Really full of shit.

Takes games off because he isn't in game condition, yet its his own damn fault for not showing up to training camp.
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

monsterpile wrote:Via a conversation on Twitter Wolfson had with a fan after they listened to Glen's appearance on Doogie's podcast the conversation ended up saying that we have heard from Jimmy and now heard from Glen and we still don't really know why Butler wants to be traded. Glen basically said he wasn't sure and said that was a question for Jimmy. Glen and Thibs don't deserve the benefit of the doubt but Butler doesn't either. It's like Butler went from being kind of a cranky very good player (maybe kinda like a KG but not the same talent level) to being a weirdo more along the lines of Demarcus Cousins or Ron Artest that need significant management and can't be the main guy of your team or you are probably in very big trouble.

Part of it is Jimmy can't actually say he wants to be traded. So that's a big time deflection from Glen because he knows Jimmy can't really answer the question directly because he can't say he wants a trade. Yes Jimmy has sent mixed signals, but at the same time he's restricted in what he can actually say without getting fined. I don't get why players are restricted in talking about their own situations. If a guy wants a trade it should be able to come out of his mouth and he just can't comment on where he wants to go.