Jimmy Butler Trade Ideas

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
kekgeek

Re: Jimmy Butler Trade Ideas

Post by kekgeek »

CoolBreeze44 wrote:This is what an NBA team located in Minnesota needs. A plethora of draft assets from which to build a dynamic young team. We can't lure free agents so this is the RIGHT way to build a team here. Of course you have to make good picks, and you have to have some luck. But this would be yet another opportunity where a smart front office could really build something Danny Ainge style. Sure beats the hell out of all you Butler apologists spanking it to watching Jimmy over the next few months. Get rid of that fucking asshole and do it now with this package.

Can't until Nov. 1st
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

monsterpile wrote:2 more points.

IF the Rockets do this deal of let's just say Knight and Chriss for Butler...that means we suddenly have some space below the lux tax to offer a player some money above a vet min deal this season. I really don't know if Patrick McCaw is worth it (that's a strange deal Over there) but maybe we offer him some money and opportunity to play and we get a potentially intruiging player for basically nothing.

Speaking of opportunity let's say we do suck and Okogie or someone else doesn't step up to be that next wing player next to Wiggins. Guess who would have a possible wide open starting spot regardless of how much money we have to offer? This team. Someone that's moderatly worthwhile would likely take a decent amount of money on a 1 year deal to be a full time starter here.

Bonus point. If we suck...fine we get a better draft pick. That could be another upside of dealing Butler now. I've seen some positives from this team (and Thibs) along with some injuries already hitting other teams that it's even possible this team might actually not suck the whole year if Butler is dealt. This team is flawed without Butler but it's also not the preseason team we saw either.

Nice job making the case, Monster. As you know, I've been among those wanting to deal Butler sooner rather than later. But I think it's important to get at least one young promising player in the deal unless we get picks that are likely to be lottery picks. The Houston picks are likely to be in the 20s based on the players they have now and the recent track record of that organization finding ways to position itself as a contender.

I'd deal Butler to Boston for Hayward if we also received the 2019 Sacramento pick, which is highly likely to be a high lottery pick. Give me Hayward, the 2019 Kings pick and the Memphis pick, which is only 1-8 protected in 2019, 1-6 protected in 2020 and unprotected in 2021. That's a deal I'd get excited about. I'd even through in Justin Patton. Would Boston do this deal? I have no idea and no one has reported that Boston has any interest in Butler. But I actually think it would be a great deal for Boston. Butler along with Tatum, Kyrie, Horford, Brown and Smart has the makings of a team that could get past Toronto and actually give the Warriors a run for their money. Boston would still have all their own 1st round picks to go with a lot of young talent in Tatum, Brown, Smart and even Kyrie, who is only 25 or 26.

But if I'm just getting 4 picks in the 20s spread over 7 years and no talented young prospects, I just can't get excited.
JasonIsDaMan [enjin:7981157]

Post by JasonIsDaMan [enjin:7981157] »

lipoli390 wrote:

IF the Rockets do this deal of let's just say Knight and Chriss for Butler...that means we suddenly have some space below the lux tax to offer a player some money above a vet min deal this season. I really don't know if Patrick McCaw is worth it (that's a strange deal Over there) but maybe we offer him some money and opportunity to play and we get a potentially intruiging player for basically nothing.

Speaking of opportunity let's say we do suck and Okogie or someone else doesn't step up to be that next wing player next to Wiggins. Guess who would have a possible wide open starting spot regardless of how much money we have to offer? This team. Someone that's moderatly worthwhile would likely take a decent amount of money on a 1 year deal to be a full time starter here.

Bonus point. If we suck...fine we get a better draft pick. That could be another upside of dealing Butler now. I've seen some positives from this team (and Thibs) along with some injuries already hitting other teams that it's even possible this team might actually not suck the whole year if Butler is dealt. This team is flawed without Butler but it's also not the preseason team we saw either.

Nice job making the case, Monster. As you know, I've been among those wanting to deal Butler sooner rather than later. But I think it's important to get at least one young promising player in the deal unless we get picks that are likely to be lottery picks. The Houston picks are likely to be in the 20s based on the players they have now and the recent track record of that organization finding ways to position itself as a contender.

I'd deal Butler to Boston for Hayward if we also received the 2019 Sacramento pick, which is highly likely to be a high lottery pick. Give me Hayward, the 2019 Kings pick and the Memphis pick, which is only 1-8 protected in 2019, 1-6 protected in 2020 and unprotected in 2021. That's a deal I'd get excited about. I'd even through in Justin Patton. Would Boston do this deal? I have no idea and no one has reported that Boston has any interest in Butler. But I actually think it would be a great deal for Boston. Butler along with Tatum, Kyrie, Horford, Brown and Smart has the makings of a team that could get past Toronto and actually give the Warriors a run for their money. Boston would still have all their own 1st round picks to go with a lot of young talent in Tatum, Brown, Smart and even Kyrie, who is only 25 or 26.

But if I'm just getting 4 picks in the 20s spread over 7 years and no talented young prospects, I just can't get excited.

Is BOS making that offer?
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

CoolBreeze44 wrote:This is what an NBA team located in Minnesota needs. A plethora of draft assets from which to build a dynamic young team. We can't lure free agents so this is the RIGHT way to build a team here. Of course you have to make good picks, and you have to have some luck. But this would be yet another opportunity where a smart front office could really build something Danny Ainge style. Sure beats the hell out of all you Butler apologists spanking it to watching Jimmy over the next few months. Get rid of that fucking asshole and do it now with this package.

Danny Ainge gets future lottery picks - doing deals with the Nets and last summer trading down for Tatum and getting the Kings 2019 pick from the Sixers. I have a hard enough time trusting our front office to make smart use of lottery picks, but trusting them to make good use of picks in the 20s is more than I can fathom. Otherwise, I agree with your general framework of adding draft assets and building a dynamic young team through the draft. But I get your point. This could turn out to be terrific for the long-term interest of the Wolves franchise.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

JasonIsDaMan wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:

No Boston offer has been reported. I have no idea whether Boston has made or would make that offer. But if I were Thibodeau, I'd definitely make that offer. And I'd do it now in the immediate aftermath of the report about the Houston offer. I'd also call Pat Riley and tell him that he can hang up on me again or take one last shot at a reasonable deal for Butler.
TheFuture

Post by TheFuture »

Agree 100%. I was against getting rid of him for a role player, cap filler, and a mediocre pick. Would rather just wait it out and clear the cap organically. But this amount of picks changes a lot. Oddly enough, I also trust Thibs to make those picks.
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

You don't have to make those picks in the 20's. There are a ton of things you can do to build with those picks. Trade a pick one year for multiple picks the next. Package a player with a pick to move up. Move down for a better pick in a future year. You get the idea. But yes, we don't want Thibs entrusted with this. That would be beyond stupid. I have no doubt I could take those assets and build a contender over 5-7 years. We would have to be patient again, but it gives us a chance.
TheFuture

Post by TheFuture »

lipoli390 wrote:
JasonIsDaMan wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:

No Boston offer has been reported. I have no idea whether Boston has made or would make that offer. But if I were Thibodeau, I'd definitely make that offer. And I'd do it now in the immediate aftermath of the report about the Houston offer. I'd also call Pat Riley and tell him that he can hang up on me again or take one last shot at a reasonable deal for Butler.

How far should one press their luck?

Do you honestly expect Miami to up their offer? They are not contending in the next few years. Riley knows that.

Houston actually has a realistic chance, that's why they can afford to do this.

Boston with Butler would be great, but are we actually better off with Hayward at 30+ mil in the west?

Its time we accept that we have to give the keys to Wiggins and Towns fully and see what the hell we actually have. Bringing on an outside star just prolongs our actual realization of haves and have nots. Start to build around them like we always should have, and this is a great way to begin.

lipoli390 wrote:
JasonIsDaMan wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:

First off, having Pat Riley whine at you because he's not getting his way is a badge of honor.

Second, you can only do the trades that are in front of you. Four 1sts/3 flips/5 2nds is very fair for JimmyBricks and anyone else other than KAT and Okogie.

Another thing the Wolves need to be concerned about: I'm just not seeing the huge rush by the other 28 teams to give up prime assets for Basketball-Terrell-Owens.