Backup PG

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Monster

Backup PG

Post by Monster »

A backup PG is a need regardless if we keep Rubio or move him and add someone else. Glen Told Wolfson they like Tyus but would be concerned if Rubio went down throwing Tyus in there. They need some sort of player there.

Darren Collision would be the high end that's possible. There are now only so many spots at PG and that may make a guy like him a possibility for this team. In addition the Wolves right now have nobody as the backup SG. Collison could play minutes as a combo guard. He hits 3's but actually isn't a volume guy. If he sees this team as one that could be winning and getting plenty of minutes as a 6th man plus a decent amount of money might get him here if the other options aren't too exciting. He goes have the domestic issue from a while ago that COULD have some sort of small effect on how much he would get in FA but probably not a ton. Patty Mills may fit even better actually.

There are a bunch of guys in the middle. A bold somewhat risky move would be to chase Deron Williams.

Lower end guys are Shelvin Mack Aaron Brooks or Sergio Rodriguez.

There are former promising players that now look like guys they suck like MCW and Brandon Jennings.

There could be options of getting guys in trades also.

If the Wolves could get the right backup PG on a value contract it could really help the team quite a bit. It won't be hard to improve over what we had last year with a rookie as the backup.
BloopOracle

Re: Backup PG

Post by BloopOracle »

If get Lou Williams he could play it as well as 6th man with getting a great 3 point shooter for only 7 million. You can still run Tyus at times and still have 10+ million to go after a PF or more 3 point shooting. He's not a typical PG but we can just have whatever star wing we staggered bring the ball up and initiate at times.
TeamRicky [enjin:6648771]

Post by TeamRicky [enjin:6648771] »

With so many point guards taken in this draft, I'm sure there will be many veteran point guards out there who will be just happy to have an NBA job. I don't think we need to spend a lot. Maybe get one that can shoot 3s like Mario Chalmers and play some defense. Patty Mills and Beverly would be better options, but I don't know how willing they are to be a backup and come here on a cap friendly deal. Some other names: Brandon Jennings, Trey Burke, Raymond Felton, MCW, Rajon Rondo, Deron Williams, Greivis Vazques, Aaron Brooks, Norris Cole, Jose Calderon, Beno Udrih & Kirk Hinrich.
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

Making a run at Redick makes much more sense now than it did before. He gets listed as a PG, too, but I don't recall ever seeing him play the point.

I can see us making a run at a combo guard with some decent dollars. But if we wind up with more of a SG/SF type, like Miles or Afflalo, then I would expect us to get one of the left over PGs and let he and Tyus battle it out.
SameOldNudityDrew

Post by SameOldNudityDrew »

I'd like to shift the topic a bit from backup PGs to guards in general who can provide 3 point shooting, since that's really what we need. There are a few different groups of free agents I can think of (and man there are a lot of options out there). All of these guys would help us stretch the floor, though some more than others, particularly the volume shooters.

First, let me repeat I think Joe Ingles should be a very high priority in free agency, and since I've laid out that case elsewhere, I'm leaving him off this list, although I'd love to get both Ingles and maybe another guy from these lists. I generally list the players I like best in each category toward the top.

Rubio Out, All In!
These are guys who would replace Rubio as a starter and would require a max contract, basically putting us all in financially to try to compete with the Warriors right away. These guys are stars, pure and simple, and we'd have to sell them on winning, and trade Rubio to fill out the roster! I'm not sure this is the best way to go, but it sure would be fun!
[list]
[*] Chris Paul-great D, shoots over 40% from 3, could be sold now that we have Butler?
[*] Kyle Lowry-also shoots over 40% from 3, shot 50% more 3s than Paul, good defense, great player just keeps getting better, but injuries and playoff history may be a concern
[/list]

Rubio Out, But Not Quite for a Star
This guy shouldn't cost as much as the two above, and wouldn't be as good, but he'd probably fit our need to just have a PG with range who doesn't need to score 20 to be effective, because we already have three 20 PPG scorers. Rubio would be traded, and this guy would be signed basically to start, but not necessarily star, if that makes sense.
[list]
[*] George Hill-solid D, good 3 point shooter (40%) though doesn't shoot it as much as Paul or Lowry, doesn't need to dominate the ball, which is good with Butler. On paper, this guy makes a lot of sense, although I really hate to lose Rubio. Adding Hill, Ingles, and a stretch 4 could be a really nice summer, IMO.
[/list]

Very Good PG to backup Rubio and who could play as Combo Guards
These are guys that could play the point as backups to Rubio or play as combo guards.
[list]
[*] Patrick Beverly*(trade needed)-Great defender, good 3 point shooter (38% last year), Rockets were apparently making him available, but we'd have to trade for him. Great fit with culture this team needs.
[*] Patty Mills-again, good 3 point shooter (40%), gets up more 3 pointers than Hill or Paul, good pedigree, can start for a good playoff team, defensive liability? Would he leave the Spurs?
[*] Darren Collison-He also shot better than 40% last year but on a low volume, so he's not as high on my list as other guys. He was a starter, so would he be willing to come off the bench?
[*] Milo Teodosic-Big 6'5" PG who plays for Moscow but apparently thinking about coming over (Utah might try to sign him), a career 37% 3 point shooter, widely respected player in Europe
[/list]

Starting SG
This seems crazy, but what if we signed a starting-level SG? This would force us to make a decision: 1) bring Wiggins off the bench which seems crazy, 2) go with a small lineup with Butler at the 4, or 3) go totally crazy, trade Rubio, have Butler run the point! I think that idea could make a lot of sense, actually. There's actually only one guy in this category.
[list]
[*] JJ Redick-shooting an average of 45% from 3 the last few years on a high volume, he would cost a lot, and he'd create some lineup questions, but I'd actually be open to having Butler run the point if we could bring JJ in and trade Rubio. Starters: Butler, Redick, Wiggins, G, Towns. That could actually work. Butler's track record of running the point is pretty good. Dude's getting pretty old though.
[/list]

Backup SGs
There are a lot of guys out there who could be signed as backup SGs, for more or less money, to stretch the floor. All of them are flawed though, as I look at this list, which is incomplete because there are a lot of these guys out there.
[list]
[*] Lou Williams-He'd basically give us Zach LaVine back from that trade, 36% from 3 last year on a high rate of 6 per game last year, scores in other ways as well, can play the point because of handles, which could fit well with Butler.
[*] Bojan Bogdanovic-He's an RFA, but Washington is going to be busy worried about locking up Porter, so he's probably gettable. Shot about 37% last year, on par with career. Good size at 6'8", and hits FTs green, but doesn't do much else.
[*] Kyle Korver-defensive liabilities make me cringe a bit, but the dude can shoot (45% last year)
[*] Aaron Afflalo-Not the player he used to be, but can still shoot, hit over 40% last year, though not a high volume shooter
[*] Nick Young-Dude can shoot, but I'm not sure he can fit the culture we want, especially defensively
[*] Brandon Rush-He was a decent placeholder last year, and played a role we need played, but he's just not as good a defender or shooter as we really need
[*] Langston Galloway-Heard he just had his team option declined? shot a lot of 3 pointers last year at 37%, but he's pretty small and got cut for a reason, so I wouldn't prioritize him, doesn't bring anything else to the table, really
[/list]

PGs I Wouldn't Try to Sign
There are a couple guys who have been starters in this league whose names I've heard floated but they're not good enough 3 point shooters IMO to justify signing them to replace Rubio and they wouldn't be willing to be backups or worth the cost.
[list]
[*] Jeff Teague-Shot 35% from three which is only ok, made his team worse by replacing Hill.
[*] Jrue Holiday-Injury history, shot 35% from 3.
[/list]
TRKO [enjin:12664595]

Post by TRKO [enjin:12664595] »

I really would like to acquire Patrick Beverly. What do you think is needed in return?
Monster

Post by Monster »

To clarify on one of the guys on your list Galloway declined his player option which was like 5.3 million. The team can give him a 6.3 million qualifying offer if they want to keep him as a RFA which is more than his player option was.
Duke13

Post by Duke13 »

TRKO wrote:I really would like to aquifer Patrick Beverly. What do you think is needed in return?

I think he would be excellent. I'd be happy with he and Millsap!
TeamRicky [enjin:6648771]

Post by TeamRicky [enjin:6648771] »

monsterpile wrote:To clarify on one of the guys on your list Galloway declined his player option which was like 5.3 million. The team can give him a 6.3 million qualifying offer if they want to keep him as a RFA which is more than his player option was.

I expect you might be surprised at how little some guys get this offseason. This offseason should be very different than last year. Teams overspent and more teams are looking to unload salary than add salary for back end of the rotation guys. Plus, the Warriors dominance will probably keep most teams in a more conservative posture towards spending this offseason. There will plenty of good players getting less than $10 M this year who might have gotten $15M last year. I'm ok with Galloway, but I would rather use that money towards someone who could help us more or who would come more cheaply than $6.3M
Monster

Post by Monster »

TeamRicky wrote:
monsterpile wrote:To clarify on one of the guys on your list Galloway declined his player option which was like 5.3 million. The team can give him a 6.3 million qualifying offer if they want to keep him as a RFA which is more than his player option was.

I expect you might be surprised at how little some guys get this offseason. This offseason should be very different than last year. Teams overspent and more teams are looking to unload salary than add salary for back end of the rotation guys. Plus, the Warriors dominance will probably keep most teams in a more conservative posture towards spending this offseason. There will plenty of good players getting less than $10 M this year who might have gotten $15M last year. I'm ok with Galloway, but I would rather use that money towards someone who could help us more or who would come more cheaply than $6.3M

Well I wouldn't spend that much on Galloway. I'd probably offer something the 3 million range. Galloway maybe thought he could get more money or maybe a long term deal...or maybe he wanted out of sac town. Based on the draft their new PBO might actually have some clue of what he is doing.

A 3 million dollar drop in the cap sure will make a big difference and not many people were expecting that so yeah for some players that's going to lower what they get. Your predictions for player salaries are looking better but some guys are still going to get paid but the guys below the top couple tiers are gonna get really squeezed unless they get signed under one of the excemptions. If your predictions are correct it's a great thing for the Wolves I won't be too mad about being wrong! It's likely a good time for the Wolves have some money and to lock up a couple solid players to cheap contracts like a couple years ago like the Lakers did with Lou Williams and Blazers did with Aminu etc.