Backup PG

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Re: Backup PG

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

I feel like Collison is sort of the perfect compromise. He's a guy that can be a solid placeholder in the event Rubio gets hurt. As a backup, he gives us solid 3-point shooting and a veteran presence. And heck, he may even finish some games if Rubio is struggling.

I wouldn't completely write off Tyus Jones as a solid #2 PG. He really improved last year, but there is a limit as to what he can do out there. One thing we know about him is that he the dude rarely makes mistakes. And if you have stars and other solid vets surrounding you, that may be "good enough".
KiwiMatt

Post by KiwiMatt »

TRKO wrote:I really would like to acquire Patrick Beverly. What do you think is needed in return?

Would love to somehow acquire Pat Beverley. His contract is great - 16 mil over the next three years with team option on the last. If Houston are chasing Blake Griffin and CP3 as rumoured they may look to dump his contract.

Jordan Hill (team option this season) and a future 2nd round pick.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Q12543 wrote:I feel like Collison is sort of the perfect compromise. He's a guy that can be a solid placeholder in the event Rubio gets hurt. As a backup, he gives us solid 3-point shooting and a veteran presence. And heck, he may even finish some games if Rubio is struggling.

I wouldn't completely write off Tyus Jones as a solid #2 PG. He really improved last year, but there is a limit as to what he can do out there. One thing we know about him is that he the dude rarely makes mistakes. And if you have stars and other solid vets surrounding you, that may be "good enough".

I like Collison also. I wonder if he would be a good guy to make a quick offer at the beginning of FA while everyone else is chasing other guys.

As for Tyus it sounds like they really like him Layden said nice stuff about him that sounded fairly legit. Glen said they probably need to get a PG because of Rubio went down that would be asking a lot of Tyus. They have to add a PG of some kind they may as well have a vet even if it's a likely much cheaper guy like Shelvin Mack or Aaron Brooks. I'm not advocating for it but it would be a bit amusing to have Jennings and Rubio on the same team...just the idea is funny that's as far as it needs to go. Lol
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

KiwiMatt wrote:
TRKO wrote:I really would like to acquire Patrick Beverly. What do you think is needed in return?

Would love to somehow acquire Pat Beverley. His contract is great - 16 mil over the next three years with team option on the last. If Houston are chasing Blake Griffin and CP3 as rumoured they may look to dump his contract.

Beverley would be a great acquisition for the Wolves. He'd be a perfect fit as a two-way player with a nice 3-point shot who could back up Ricky at PG and Wiggins or Butler at SG. And he would only cut into about $6 million of our cap space. If the Rockets are desperate to dump salary we might have a shot at getting him. But I think there are probably other teams with better assets to give. You mentioned the only player we could trade who would make sense for the Rockets, namely Jordan Hill. I'm sure other teams with cap room to absorb Beverley's modest salary can provide players with non-guaranteed or team-option contracts like Hill's. But the worst is our lack of draft picks. We have no second round picks next year and we can't trade next year's 1st round pick. We don't have our own 2nd round pick in 2019 either. In other words, we just don't seem to have the assets to acquire Beverley.

We have about $22 million in cap room. We'll have to use that cap room to fill out our roster, which should include getting a veteran backup PG. I'd focus on Collision and Mills and hope to get one of those two for no more than $10 million a year. Then I'd use the other $12 million on Joe Ingles or Tony Snell as two-way players to back up the wing position and add more 3-point shooting. I have no ideal whether that would be enough money to sign them, but I think it's in the ballpark. Getting Collison or Mills and Snell or Ingles would put our roster at 11, including including a bench consisting of Belly, Tyus, Aldrich, Collison/Mills, Snell/Ingles, and the rookie Patton. Then we'd have to fill in the remaining 4 roster spots using cap exceptions -- mainly the minimum vet salary exception. I could see Casspi being one of those 4 along with a couple D-Leaguers and possibly and undrafted playe from this year's draft.

Let's fact it, we're not in a position to trade for Beverley. Nor are we in a position sign Redick (who could likely consumer at least $15 million or our $22 million in cap space) or replace Ricky with an all-star caliber PG like Lowry or George Hill who could likely cost $10 million more than Ricky -- thereby consuming nearly half of our cap space without adding a single bench player to our rotation. Thibs has to deal in the real world and it won't be easy to do what needs to be done. He has to be strategic and selective in who he pursues and he may need to do big-time sales job to recruit the ones he wants. Having Butler sure helps in that regard.
Monster

Post by Monster »

lipoli390 wrote:
KiwiMatt wrote:

Beverley would be a great acquisition for the Wolves. He'd be a perfect fit as a two-way player with a nice 3-point shot who could back up Ricky at PG and Wiggins or Butler at SG. And he would only cut into about $6 million of our cap space. If the Rockets are desperate to dump salary we might have a shot at getting him. But I think there are probably other teams with better assets to give. You mentioned the only player we could trade who would make sense for the Rockets, namely Jordan Hill. I'm sure other teams with cap room to absorb Beverley's modest salary can provide players with non-guaranteed or team-option contracts like Hill's. But the worst is our lack of draft picks. We have no second round picks next year and we can't trade next year's 1st round pick. We don't have our own 2nd round pick in 2019 either. In other words, we just don't seem to have the assets to acquire Beverley.

We have about $22 million in cap room. We'll have to use that cap room to fill out our roster, which should include getting a veteran backup PG. I'd focus on Collision and Mills and hope to get one of those two for no more than $10 million a year. Then I'd use the other $12 million on Joe Ingles or Tony Snell as two-way players to back up the wing position and add more 3-point shooting. I have no ideal whether that would be enough money to sign them, but I think it's in the ballpark. Getting Collison or Mills and Snell or Ingles would put our roster at 11, including including a bench consisting of Belly, Tyus, Aldrich, Collison/Mills, Snell/Ingles, and the rookie Patton. Then we'd have to fill in the remaining 4 roster spots using cap exceptions -- mainly the minimum vet salary exception. I could see Casspi being one of those 4 along with a couple D-Leaguers and possibly and undrafted playe from this year's draft.

Let's fact it, we're not in a position to trade for Beverley. Nor are we in a position sign Redick (who could likely consumer at least $15 million or our $22 million in cap space) or replace Ricky with an all-star caliber PG like Lowry or George Hill who could likely cost $10 million more than Ricky -- thereby consuming nearly half of our cap space without adding a single bench player to our rotation. Thibs has to deal in the real world and it won't be easy to do what needs to be done. He has to be strategic and selective in who he pursues and he may need to do big-time sales job to recruit the ones he wants. Having Butler sure helps in that regard.

BB insiders says we have our 2nd round pick in 2018 and we do have Miami's 2nd in 2019. I wonder if Houston would have any interest in Dubs over in Europe since they love 3 point shooters. I agree we don't really have many assets to get Beverly though but we will see how that all plays out. I'd like to try and get Collison or Mills from the jump in FA I may actually prefer Mills because he is such a volume shooting guys but I'd take either one. A guy that would actually be a nice fit is Barea and Dallas has him signed for under 4 million a year for 2 more years and his Salery goes down. I can't wait till we are the smart teams that makes these types of moves.
Monster

Post by Monster »

So apparently Tyus has a dog now also. My guess is Tyus is the leader of his pack.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/lookit/2017/6/25/15870198/tyus-jones-dog-duke-husky-pomeranian-nba
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

monsterpile wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:
KiwiMatt wrote:

BB insiders says we have our 2nd round pick in 2018 and we do have Miami's 2nd in 2019. I wonder if Houston would have any interest in Dubs over in Europe since they love 3 point shooters. I agree we don't really have many assets to get Beverly though but we will see how that all plays out. I'd like to try and get Collison or Mills from the jump in FA I may actually prefer Mills because he is such a volume shooting guys but I'd take either one. A guy that would actually be a nice fit is Barea and Dallas has him signed for under 4 million a year for 2 more years and his Salery goes down. I can't wait till we are the smart teams that makes these types of moves.

Monster -- RealGM has our 2019 2nd round pick going to Portland (via Cleveland) or Cleveland, stemming from the Wiggins deal with Cleveland. I wold LOVE to get Beverley. I just don't see a realistic scenario to get him. That's why it's so important to have a bank of draft picks.

Like you, I'd prefer Mills over Collison for the reason you gave. But I'm guessing he'll be harder and more expensive to get than Collison. I've always like Barea, but I see Tyus Jones as our Barea.
Monster

Post by Monster »

lipoli390 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:
KiwiMatt wrote:

Monster -- RealGM has our 2019 2nd round pick going to Portland (via Cleveland) or Cleveland, stemming from the Wiggins deal with Cleveland. I wold LOVE to get Beverley. I just don't see a realistic scenario to get him. That's why it's so important to have a bank of draft picks.

Like you, I'd prefer Mills over Collison for the reason you gave. But I'm guessing he'll be harder and more expensive to get than Collison. I've always like Barea, but I see Tyus Jones as our Barea.

Yeah I know that 2019 pick is gone to finish up the Tyus trade that's why I mentioned the Miami pick.

If Tyus is a Barea I think we would be realitively happy. I think Tyus can be more than that. I feel good about Tyus and dealing Dunn away has the benefit of actually possibly giving Tyus a chance to have more of a real role going forward which hasn't been mentioned much. Now with Lavine gone he is my favorite player on the Wolves.

The benefit of Collison is that he is probably a bit more versatile than Patty Mills. If you have to have one guy start 20+ games for you at PG I think I might pick Collison.both guys can play with various players including Rubio and Tyus. I don't know how realistic getting one of those guys as a backup really is unless all the other opportunities dry up. Well will see.
Monster

Post by Monster »

So what dirt cheap backup PG do you want?

Aaron Brooks? At least he shoots a high volume of 3's and of course he knows that Thibs guy. Lol

They need another guy but I also wonder if with a number of legit vets on this team now Tyus will actually be the backup and a guy like Brooks getting the Jordon Hill treatment if Tyus performs reasonably well.