Keep Ricky in Minnesota

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
TRKO [enjin:12664595]

Re: Keep Ricky in Minnesota

Post by TRKO [enjin:12664595] »

alexftbl8181 wrote:
Phenom's_Revenge wrote:
alexftbl8181 wrote:Man Rubio is such a difference maker, such a winner. Since Rubio came into the league only 4 teams have missed the playoffs in that time. So pretty much every team and every point guard has made the playoffs except him.

So unless Rubio is worse than all of those point guards this is a great example of how team supersedes individual play. Since advance stats tell us that Ricky is a plus, we should strive to add more pluses to him and make a real run at this thing. I like where you are going with this.

Question is, how are you going to put more pluses around him. If you think your going to package Martin and Payne for some plus piece, your living in a fantasy. The Wolves have also never been big players in free agency.

It comes to a point where it looks like you've gone as far as you can with Rubio. I think everyone can agree there isn't some great leap Rubio has left in his potential. Maybe another PG somewhere else would thrive in this system playing with the Wolves players compared to where they are now, even if they aren't a "pass first point guard"

I think it would be prudent to wait until the offseason when we presumably have a new coach in place before we deal. That's provided some team doesn't blow us away. Rubio is a league average PG who won't win or lose you games. I feel we need a PG that is a better shooter, because with Wiggins, Towns, and LaVine's scoring ability the PG will get some open shots.
TRKO [enjin:12664595]

Post by TRKO [enjin:12664595] »

Unless we are blown away by an offer trading Ricky makes no sense. I think the thing to do is try and draft someone better than him. While we can do better at the PG position, we can also do much much worse.
Porckchop

Post by Porckchop »

TRKO wrote:Unless we are blown away by an offer trading Ricky makes no sense. I think the thing to do is try and draft someone better than him. While we can do better at the PG position, we can also do much much worse.

I agree with this. Why trade him now for a player that might help us win just enough games to get us out of the lottery. Wait till we know we can draft a guy like Dunn and then use Ricky as a tool to find a shooter for next year.
Porckchop

Post by Porckchop »

I'd also like to point out that Avery Johnson has a career shooting percentage of .479. Rickys is .366 .
And most of Rickys biggest supporters on here felt him, Pek and Martin were building blocks 2 years ago . Haha
Monster

Post by Monster »

PorkChop wrote:I'd also like to point out that Avery Johnson has a career shooting percentage of .479. Rickys is .366 .
And most of Rickys biggest supporters on here felt him, Pek and Martin were building blocks 2 years ago . Haha

Abe and I already went over Avery Johnson's FG percentage. Maybe you missed it but...ahh never mind you missed the point I was trying to make anyway. Lol
Porckchop

Post by Porckchop »

monsterpile wrote:
PorkChop wrote:I'd also like to point out that Avery Johnson has a career shooting percentage of .479. Rickys is .366 .

Abe and I already went over Avery Johnson's FG percentage. Maybe you missed it but...ahh never mind you missed the point I was trying to make anyway. Lol

I got it, but I didn't see anything about just how big the discrepancy was . Seems The focus was more on how shitty of a Ft and 3pt shooter Avery was .
Does ft attempts equate to success in this league? The Wolves are at or near the top and still a cellar dweller team.
Phenom

Post by Phenom »

To be fair Pek and Martin did have a place on the later Love-led teams.

As for finding more pluses to go with Rubio and company, a creative front office can do it. At the end of the day, Wig, Towns, Zach are going to be THE guys. Ricky, Gorgs, and Bazz might be their supporting cast. Perhaps Dublejevic and Bjelica will be as well. It is up to the next POBO to round it out and a coach to work out the pieces. With Wiggins post ability and Towns versatility and LaVines ability to handle, a good coach can fit Ricky in at any point in a game. If Ricky missing a jumpshot every game is keeping the team down, I think we made a huge mistake hiring the next coach.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Phenom's_Revenge wrote:To be fair Pek and Martin did have a place on the later Love-led teams.

As for finding more pluses to go with Rubio and company, a creative front office can do it. At the end of the day, Wig, Towns, Zach are going to be THE guys. Ricky, Gorgs, and Bazz might be their supporting cast. Perhaps Dublejevic and Bjelica will be as well. It is up to the next POBO to round it out and a coach to work out the pieces. With Wiggins post ability and Towns versatility and LaVines ability to handle, a good coach can fit Ricky in at any point in a game. If Ricky missing a jumpshot every game is keeping the team down, I think we made a huge mistake hiring the next coach.

Good post.

Also Dublejevic would look so good on this team right now. A big strong guy that can shoot 3's. That would help shore up 2 of the big problems of this team.
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

Phenom's_Revenge wrote:To be fair Pek and Martin did have a place on the later Love-led teams.

I wish it was that simple Phenom. The ability to score at crunch time is directly proportional to the number of threats you can make the defense cover for. The less threats you have the easier you are to defend. The easier you are to defend, the more times you are going to fail down the stretch of games. It may not show every night, but probability wins out in the long run.
Phenom

Post by Phenom »

CoolBreeze44 wrote:

I wish it was that simple Phenom. The ability to score at crunch time is directly proportional to the number of threats you can make the defense cover for. The less threats you have the easier you are to defend. The easier you are to defend, the more times you are going to fail down the stretch of games. It may not show every night, but probability wins out in the long run.

And the ease of defending a unit is just as much about offensive strategy as it is players talents. I say put the ball back into Ricky's hands runhinged PnR with KAT. KAT can shoot over anyone and I don't care what percentage Ricky shoots, his man won't sag off if he is driving the lane. If we are going to park him in the slot or corner while Wiggins goes 1v1 all the time then we will continue to see problems but I have higher expectations for the next coach. Mix it up a little. My junior high kids can run more variation.