Gonna be a long season....

One Stop Spot For All Vikings Related News
Richard109 [enjin:7011909]

Gonna be a long season....

Post by Richard109 [enjin:7011909] »

After watching the game yesterday, my football dreams of this being Ponder's breakout year are crashing down. Even the defense looked horrible.
JDvikes [enjin:6536888]

Re: Gonna be a long season....

Post by JDvikes [enjin:6536888] »

I have a feeling that the lions might make a lot of D's look pretty bad this year, and our's was pretty suspect to begin with. That being said it was just the first game, but imo Ponder looked like crap all around. The pick he tossed when he was out of pocket is just inexcusable. I hate burning these years of AP to hope Ponder turns it on all of the sudden.

I hope they ride AP as much as they can this year and make him happy in his quest for back to back 2k and take the best QB available, which should be good enough to start right away and put Ponder behind us.

I agree with you 100%.

So where are people talking Viking football now that ESPN thru in the towel? Not much activity around here.

Someone posted in another thread where they had seen some posting, but said they felt that site was lacking and wanted to encourage them to post here.
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

I didn't see much of the game last Sunday, but I am not encouraged by much that I have read. Ponder's 3 interceptions, AP's terrible stats after his initial run, and the defense's overall performance are all very disappointing. But I'm still not on board with the despair that I listened to on the radio call in shows after the game. I think the absence of Williams and Felton were very significant, and that they will be better this week with one of them returning. Still, I think they struggle until AP gets his favorite blocker back...his stats with and without Felton are dramatically different.

But overall, I'm having a difficult time reasoning why they should be a worse team than last year. They finished the year strong and made the playoffs despite losing their second most important offensive weapon for the last half of the season, and there are a lot of reasons to argue they should be better this year. First, despite his poor performance in the first game, Ponder should be better. He showed a lot of improvement toward the end of last year, and there are many examples of QBs who took a big step forward in their third years. Second, the addition of Jennings and Patterson plus the possible resurrection of Simpson gives them a much improved core of receivers. Finally, it appears that they had another solid draft, and the new linebackers, cornerbacks and d-liners should be contributing by mid-season.

Their record may not be as good this year (maybe 9-7) because their schedule is much tougher, but they will be improved and I think there will be some optimism about the future of the squad in the second half of the year. I saw last year's 10-6 as somewhat of a mirage, and I think I will be more satisfied with them at 9-7 this year.

A tougher schedule along with overachieving last year are big reasons why I think we will be struggling a lot moving forward. Our o-line was terrible in the opener which doesn't bode well for Ponder improving or AP carrying us. My hope is that the line gets it together and we turn it around quickly. I think that is what our success will ultimately hinge on.

I originally said the Vikings would go 6-10, after last week I am not sure that is possible. In the past, I have never bashed Ponder, but this has to be his make it or break it season. Otherwise we need to find a QB.
MikeVike76 [enjin:7286407]

Post by MikeVike76 [enjin:7286407] »

i feel the same way but I have been reading posts and it seems that a lot of trolls don't come here as much as they did on ESPN.