Let Me Be The First

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Coolbreeze44

Let Me Be The First

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

It sounds strange that I would beat Pork Chop to this, but I am declaring my status as 100% Pork Chop. And as SP declared, once you are 100% you can't go back.

This does not mean I don't think Ricky is a good player. It does not mean he can't play for a long time in the NBA. What it means is you cannot win an NBA championship with Ricky as your starting point guard. And since that is all that matters to me, I am ready to move on in terms of our point guard leadership. I'm not sure if Zach can be the guy or not, but we need to find someone that can knock down shots on a consistent basis from the 1 position. I'm convinced you have to be able to at least make uncontested shots in the 4th quarter, and we haven't gotten that from Ricky.

We are going to have a nice lottery pick again this year, it might be wise to move on from Ricky and attempt to find the next PG to grow with our outstanding young core.

This is not easy for me to write because I like Ricky very much and have been one of his biggest supporters from day 1. But I have seen the truth at this point, turn the page.
worldK

Re: Let Me Be The First

Post by worldK »

Can't argue with what you wrote cool. I'm not 100% pork chop yet but i can certainly see the validity of those who are.

One more thing I noticed with rubio is aside from not scoring or making open jumpers in 4th quarters. He is also not assisting much. He gets most of his assists in the first 3 quarters. His inability to score has affected his ability to do what he does best in 4th quarters. I also see him pass up open jumpers and you can tell his confidence is shot. Ideally, Zach can develop into a competent pg that you can just play him in the 4th and rubio can still start games and be rubio for the first 3 quarters. But I need to see more maturity from lavine.

People will always point to rondo as a guy who can't shoot but won a championship as a template for rubio. But rondo can score when he wanted to. He had a nice floater and can attach the d and get to the rim and finish. Rubio is not the same type of athlete as rondo is/was.

I'm a big rubio fan and supporter. Had been from the start. Love his passion and how hard he plays. But he can't shoot. He can't when he entered the league and he still can't in year 5. We can't overlook that and just keep saying that we need to just surround him with shooters and we will be alright and great. That will certainly help but as an individual, he really needs to shoot better and him shooting better significantly makes us better. So its on him as well.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Defenses tighten as the game goes on and officials might even swallow whistles.
Remember, that was a major problem of the 2014 team.

Plus there's this...

"Oh shit. It's a 4 point game? Really? It's the Wolves. Alright boys, it's time to put them away."

It's the NBA after all... it's how things work.
Porckchop

Post by Porckchop »

Here's what I saw in the last 4 mins of last nights game. Ricky takes the ball past half court hands it off to Lavine and runs to the corner and watches. He was wide open on every possession to close out that game. No one guarded him and no one passed him the ball. He did get one open look but missed. Is that really what we should expect from our leader?
He's not winner, Peks not a winner and Martins not a winner either. I just feel like if you want to breed that kind of culture sometimes you gotta cut the fat that got you to the current situation. All three should've never been resigned, but now it's time to cut bait.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

But the numbers say that team is better with Rubio on the court.

[Note: Granted, the Wolves are 127 - 232 since drafting Rubio.]
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

So would you be willing to dump Rubio for an expiring contract? If you could package Rubio with Pek for an expiring would you?
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:

What is our record when he plays?
Porckchop

Post by Porckchop »

Better or less bad?
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

bleedspeed177 wrote:So would you be willing to dump Rubio for an expiring contract? If you could package Rubio with Pek for an expiring would you?

I think we can get a shooter for him. If that comes in the trade, or with the money we clear on an expiring I'm okay with it.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

bleedspeed177 wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:

What is our record when he plays?

Much better than when he doesn't. But that's sorta my point. I've probably said it 1,000 times by now. I don't care about how Rubio compares to his backups. I care how he compares to other PGs.

I still like the player. I think he's a lot of fun. I just don't see him as a long-term answer for a legit playoff team. To be fair, that's fine for now since the team is poised to lose about 55 - 60 games. Most of the rest of the team is even further behind than Rubio at this point.