Derrick Williams Trade

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Monster

Re: Derrick Williams Trade

Post by Monster »

I forgot to say welcome or welcome back Jason!

Outlaw's history says he will play bad soon. If you want someone to play minutes that isn't brutally bad give Price Shved's minutes and yes Price isn't great either. Like I said earlier Shved Is the next guy we need to figure out what we have or don't have then maybe we can move him for a guy like Outlaw straight up! :) I hold out a little hope for Shved but its not looking good at all right now.
JasonIsDaMan [enjin:7981157]

Post by JasonIsDaMan [enjin:7981157] »

How did you know it was me? lol Good to see your screen name again.

He might go south, but his contract is almost identical in years and $'s to Shved's. He's not going to the Hall of Fame, but if he can play at the level he is playing this year for 15-20 minutes a night for the next 1.8 years, it's a great swap. This bench has been brutal. I'm really upset they didn't just give a 3yr/$12m deal to AK.
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

3 yr/12 mil deal to AK? They offered 3 yr/21 mil, and AK turned it down! This was repeated on last Friday's Funkadelic.

He did at first because he thought more was coming. But when the best offer was that 2yr/$7m deal from BKN was the best he got, MIN should have come back with 3yr/$12m and he probably would have taken it.

Even if you don't think AK is better than Brewer, I believe we can all agree that he would be better than DC/Hummel/Shabazz (and dare I say Turiaf) off the bench.
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

Well, you are preaching to the choir. The vast majority here wanted AK re-signed, and considered it one of Flip's mistakes this offseason (myself included). Of course, that opinion has been watered down with Brewer's solid play and AK's most severe stretch of back spasms of his career...

I see you stuck with 60WinTim. Very OpTimistic.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

JasonIsDaMan wrote:He did at first because he thought more was coming. But when the best offer was that 2yr/$7m deal from BKN was the best he got, MIN should have come back with 3yr/$12m and he probably would have taken it.

Even if you don't think AK is better than Brewer, I believe we can all agree that he would be better than DC/Hummel/Shabazz (and dare I say Turiaf) off the bench.

Who's to say that AK even wanted to come back? Seemed pretty evident to me that he wanted to play for the Nets and that "loaded" roster. Still glad we don't have him for your offer of 3 yr/$12M. That just sounds like dead money for the now and future. At least with Brewer and Mbah a Moute, they're more likely to actually play than AK. Guy's already hurt and we're not even 20 games in. Imagine how pissed we'd all be right now with D-Will/DC/Hummel starting because AK's out (as well as Bud).

Also, it wasn't a matter of AK or DC/Hummel/Shabazz. It was AK or K-Mart... and later Brewer. Had we signed AK, we wouldn't have been able to sign Martin and likely wouldn't have even pursued Brewer. Even better is trading D-Will for MaM. Our SF pool when healthy looks deep. MaM, Brewer, Bud, Hummel. Job well done Flip.

AK said he signed with BKN because it was the best offer he got, not because of their roster or any "special compensation" from Porchorov.

I think it's a lot to ask that a guy in his 30's play all 82. If he produces the same per-minute stats as he did last year in about half the playing time, I think 3yr/$12m is a success.

I don't remember the order the contracts were signed or what MIN's EXACT cap situation was, but they're $4m under the lux. Couldn't they fit him in?
markkbu [enjin:6588958]

Post by markkbu [enjin:6588958] »

Camden wrote:
JasonIsDaMan wrote:He did at first because he thought more was coming. But when the best offer was that 2yr/$7m deal from BKN was the best he got, MIN should have come back with 3yr/$12m and he probably would have taken it.

Who's to say that AK even wanted to come back? Seemed pretty evident to me that he wanted to play for the Nets and that "loaded" roster. Still glad we don't have him for your offer of 3 yr/$12M. That just sounds like dead money for the now and future. At least with Brewer and Mbah a Moute, they're more likely to actually play than AK. Guy's already hurt and we're not even 20 games in. Imagine how pissed we'd all be right now with D-Will/DC/Hummel starting because AK's out (as well as Bud).

Also, it wasn't a matter of AK or DC/Hummel/Shabazz. It was AK or K-Mart... and later Brewer. Had we signed AK, we wouldn't have been able to sign Martin and likely wouldn't have even pursued Brewer. Even better is trading D-Will for MaM. Our SF pool when healthy looks deep. MaM, Brewer, Bud, Hummel. Job well done Flip.

I wasn't going to re-hash this, but I obvious agree with Cam. AK is not a player that I want on this team. His history of going MIA at the end of the season is not the example that we want set from our "veteran" players.

The Net look like a good fit for him. He is injured with their other "high-caliber" players, so I'm sure that they are doing some good bonding with their time off. And if they miss the playoffs, he won't have to worry about having another sub-par playoff performance.

It would take a Timberwolves fan to call AK "MIA". Look, he was never worth $18m/yr, and he never developed a 3-point shot. But to say he was anything short of a battler is ridiculous.

I'm glad he didn't exercise the 2nd year of his option because that really would have thrown off the payroll. And his turning 3yr/$21m was way too much hubris. But you can contend for a championship with him as your 3rd or 4th best wing, or 4th best post, making $4m/yr.