Rubio has had enough chances I am done with him

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
AbeVigodaLive

Re: Rubio has had enough chances I am done with him

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

bleedspeed177 wrote:
m4gor wrote:Rubio is allowing 25pts per 48 minutes at 21 PER to his opponent, that is big drop off from his rookie numbers and it is actually quite a bad number in comparison to other starting PGs around the league, this is what scares me most ..
His offensive game has not improved much if at all, and it is hard to see him as an elite defender either, so why he is starting PG in the NBA? ..
Btw. Any idea why he is so much worse defender? Did he lost some speed/lateral quickness permanently after ACL?

I always thought he was overrated as a defender. I wonder how he would fair against SG's.

Defending on the perimeter is a tough gig. You can only do so much with today's hands-off rules.

Rubio is an all-world steals guy, which sets him apart on that end of the court. He has great anticipation and fast hands and his lankiness helps. But the NBA still runs a lot of pick-and-rolls and he has struggled to get through picks.
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
bleedspeed177 wrote:
m4gor wrote:Rubio is allowing 25pts per 48 minutes at 21 PER to his opponent, that is big drop off from his rookie numbers and it is actually quite a bad number in comparison to other starting PGs around the league, this is what scares me most ..
His offensive game has not improved much if at all, and it is hard to see him as an elite defender either, so why he is starting PG in the NBA? ..
Btw. Any idea why he is so much worse defender? Did he lost some speed/lateral quickness permanently after ACL?

I always thought he was overrated as a defender. I wonder how he would fair against SG's.

Defending on the perimeter is a tough gig. You can only do so much with today's hands-off rules.

Rubio is an all-world steals guy, which sets him apart on that end of the court. He has great anticipation and fast hands and his lankiness helps. But the NBA still runs a lot of pick-and-rolls and he has struggled to get through picks.

Those defensive stats are troubling at first glance, m4gor. Maybe I'm too much of a Rubio apologist, but I really like watching him on defense. I don't think you can underestimate the impact on those numbers of the lack of big man help when he gets beat off the dribble or on a pick.
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

longstrangetrip wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:
bleedspeed177 wrote:

Those defensive stats are troubling at first glance, m4gor. Maybe I'm too much of a Rubio apologist, but I really like watching him on defense. I don't think you can underestimate the impact on those numbers of the lack of big man help when he gets beat off the dribble or on a pick.

Exactly. The phrase, "it takes a village" really applies when it comes to defending opposing PGs. So those numbers are as much a reflection of the slow-footedness and lack of length by guys like Pek and Love as it is a reflection of Rubio's defense. I do agree that he is not great at fighting through screens. One thing you will see them do more often is "ice" screens, which means stepping out in front of the screen before it even happens and redirecting the opposing PG toward the screener's defender. But our ability to recover off of the ensuing ball rotation to shooters or cutters is pretty horrible.
m4gor [enjin:6667447]

Post by m4gor [enjin:6667447] »

Q12543 wrote:
longstrangetrip wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:
bleedspeed177 wrote:

Exactly. The phrase, "it takes a village" really applies when it comes to defending opposing PGs. So those numbers are as much a reflection of the slow-footedness and lack of length by guys like Pek and Love as it is a reflection of Rubio's defense. I do agree that he is not great at fighting through screens. One thing you will see them do more often is "ice" screens, which means stepping out in front of the screen before it even happens and redirecting the opposing PG toward the screener's defender. But our ability to recover off of the ensuing ball rotation to shooters or cutters is pretty horrible.

well it sounds like a nice and logical apologize on first look, but the problem is that we have same bigs as we had before and i am not buying that PEK is worse in D than he was two years ago, we definitely havent lost any defensive savvy big recently to blame Rickys drop off on that loss, so the question remains, wth is going on with Rubio?
m4gor [enjin:6667447]

Post by m4gor [enjin:6667447] »

on Rickys rookie season he allowed 19.8 pts per 48 minutes on 16.4 PER with majority of floor time played with PEK, last year he allowed 22.9 pts per 48 minutes on 18.6 PER again with majority of floor time with PEK (and DW at PF) and this year he allows 25.0 pts per 48 minutes on 20.6 PER, again with PEK on the floor (these are all numbers he gathered as PG, i excluded SG numbers as he usually played SG with some weird wild comp on the floor)

so when i speak about drop off i mean same team, same coach, same system, same/similar personal on the floor, now try to explain me why he allows 25 percent more points on 25 percent better PER(meaning not only pts are up, but also assists etc) for his opposition
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

Pretty compelling numbers, m4gor...good research. I'm stumped. I can only conclude that either Ricky's on-the-ball defense has regressed, or Pek's help defense has. Either way, those numbers are not good.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

Let's face it. Ricky's a terrible defender. :D
PatrickBateman [enjin:8062834]

Post by PatrickBateman [enjin:8062834] »

Rubio conitnues to get worse.

I have seen enough. Don't even play him the rest of the 2nd half Aldeman.

The plug needs to be pulled now before it's too late.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

Just got an update on my phone saying Rubio doesn't feel comfortable on the court. Whose fault do we put that on? Credit to Lip and the others who have noticed Rubio's demeanor on the floor. Called it.
thedoper

Post by thedoper »

Camden wrote:Just got an update on my phone saying Rubio doesn't feel comfortable on the court. Whose fault do we put that on? Credit to Lip and the others who have noticed Rubio's demeanor on the floor. Called it.

Wait Lip isn't making Rubio comfortable on the court? Not cool.