Wolves and Pek Reach Agreement

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
thedoper

Re: Wolves and Pek Reach Agreement

Post by thedoper »

I like the deal. We were stuck with Pek at 12mil on the cap if it was either 4 or 5. Won't make much of a difference.
foye2smith [enjin:6593248]

Post by foye2smith [enjin:6593248] »

One thing I have noticed is the real positive outlook by a majority of the media. Everyone knew Pek would be back but the Wolves even got Pek to leave some year to year money on the table in exchange for an added year.

Don't forget a little over a month ago Adrian Wojnarowski had announced the deal had been done 4 years 50 million (~12.5 a year).

I'm not too worried about the extra year and Pek's skills depleting. For one, his game is built on strength and hustle(don't read as speed) and two, should Love bolt and things go south fast Pek's expiring contract could be used as an asset for a future move.

I was worried when talks took so long and Pek's camp leaked that he wanted more money. I've been "so-so" on Flip's offseason but I think he handled Pek beautifully (even though he held all the cards).
zigzag22 [enjin:6591633]

Post by zigzag22 [enjin:6591633] »

...And because everyone loves a solid dose of speculation, MAYBE Flip threw the 5th year in there to the same agent who represents the team's best player (Kevin Love) as a peace offering for when Love's negotiations come back around in 2 years. That would assume Flip is extremely crafty (which some on this board highly disagree with), but nevertheless it's a thought!
worldK

Post by worldK »

Fair deal I guess. Pek wanted to be paid similar to noah and horford. Both those players were signed to 5yr 60m deals. Pek got a smiliar deal although noah and horford signed their deals when they were much younger and both made the all star team already..

I hope the deal is front loaded, maybe starting at 13.5m this year going down every year so we would be in better cap situation when its time for rubio and love's extention
MinnesotaJock [enjin:6589402]

Post by MinnesotaJock [enjin:6589402] »

All I gotta say is this...

[youtube]HApwAOFf9h4[/youtube]
mjs34

Post by mjs34 »

Flip is completely out of his league. He had all the leverage and gave up everything including another possible 8 mil in incentives. Pek shouldn't have seen 60 mil with incentives.

Pek is nowhere near the player that Noah and Horford are. Pek will never make an allstar game, although that really isn't a measurement of a players true value.

I couldn't care less about making peace with Love's agent. Love got a max salary deal. He didn't have to sign it. Why is it good business for a player to take advantage of FA, but when the team uses the RFA to their advantage, they are somehow dissing the player?

Nobody was or will be offering Pek a max deal. His injury history extends well beyond the last couple seasons in the NBA. He is an average man defender at best, and a poor team defender. I don't know what Flip is referring to when touting Pek as a good PnR defender. It might be his biggest weakness.
ace [enjin:6598567]

Post by ace [enjin:6598567] »

sjm34 wrote:Flip is completely out of his league. He had all the leverage and gave up everything including another possible 8 mil in incentives. Pek shouldn't have seen 60 mil with incentives.

Good businessman don't always try to screw the person they are making a deal with. You don't want to piss players off, especially ones that are as good as Pek. Flip had all the leverage, but why one earth would he force Pek to take a smaller deal and make him unhappy? Players around the league see that and it lowers their opinion of the organization. It's fair market value for a center of his quality, so he gave it to him.
Crazysauce

Post by Crazysauce »

I go back and forth on this deal. In one part I agree with SJM, think that we almost bid against ourselves. Saying that we got a discount I dont think is the case at all either. I just feel if nobody was willing to make an offer, especially with how long they waited, then we were bidding against ourselves. On the other hand, 12 million isnt terrible and Pek does work very hard as well as wants to be here. I was still holding out hope that we would sign him around ten per year, and I think that is fair. Just hope Flip knows what he is doing.
mjs34

Post by mjs34 »

Pek and his agent were trying to screw the wovles and succeeded, but I guess the door doesn't swing both ways. Why is it only business for the players, and not the teams?
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

sjm34 wrote:Pek and his agent were trying to screw the wovles and succeeded, but I guess the door doesn't swing both ways. Why is it only business for the players, and not the teams?

How did Pek screw the team he is worth 12 mil a year IMO, I agree with Ace on this one we can't rip him off it looks bad to the rest of the league, also most of us were fine with 4 years 50 mil, so we added a year and if he does not pan out and is hurt a lot during that fifth year he will be a good contract to trade