Summer League Playoffs Game 1- Sac-Town

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Summer League Playoffs Game 1- Sac-Town

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

I should probably define one of the words in my subject line because it may be unfamiliar to some of us . "Playoffs" is a word used to describe a series of games played after a regular season in order to determine a champion. This word is not often used in the land of 10,000 lakes.

Anyway, our Summer Wolves have made the summer league playoffs (because everyone does) and plays Sacramento at 8PM EDT on NBA-TV. Sac-town has lost their first three summer league games, but are intriguing because of Ben McLemore.

Here are some things I will be looking for in this game:

1) At least two Wolves decision guys (Flip and Terry Porter) have declared Muhammad to be a SG who can also play some SF. If so, it will be interesting to see if they assign him to McLemore defensively. If not, it may indicate they are not really serious about how they view Shabazz.

2) Shabazz has really struggled in his first three games. The StarTrib this morning said he was working hard on his weaknesses (primarily passing and defense), and in all fairness he has looked better than advertised in those areas. But he has looked uncomfortable trying to establish his offensive game. I want to see him score today more like he did at UCLA.

3) Dieng was very impressive in the second half of game 3, and afterward said that he felt much more comfortable with the pace of the NBA. He played with a high level of confidence, and stuffed the boxscore with points, rebounds, blocks and steals...and even a nice assist. I want to see him continue that type of play today.

4) Robbie Hummel has been the best player on the court most of the time this summer. I had forgotten what a high basketball IQ he has, and the knee issues don't appear to be much of a factor. Many of us on this board would like to see him make the roster, but there is talk that Flip is looking for another reliable ball handler to complete the roster. Robbie needs to continue the polished, versatile game he showed in the first three games in order to be considered a candidate for 15th man.

Okay, let the (summer) playoffs begin, and may they not be the only playoffs the Wolves participate in this season!
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Re: Summer League Playoffs Game 1- Sac-Town

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

It's the participation trophy of playoffs. Bazz needs to step his game up. It can't be that hard to become more of a team player where the rest of his game falls apart because of the new style. Show me something that can give me confidence in him being a contributor this year. He can still turn it around, but he has to step his game up and tonight would be a good night to do it against McLemore.
Jakapoo [enjin:6588675]

Post by Jakapoo [enjin:6588675] »

The T-Wolves made it for the first time in TEN YEARS woohoo!!! Oh, just summer league... Damn. :mad:

In all seriousness, this may be the Timberwolves only shot at a title... ever. :/
zicky25 [enjin:6651746]

Post by zicky25 [enjin:6651746] »

yuck start by Bazz... 0-3? Nice pass by CJ though.

1-4 for Bazz actually, but gets the early hook after forcing his offense.

Hummel starts at PF, and looking very sharp. 4 pts and 4 rebounds in the first 7 minutes.

21-10 first quarter mostly because Sac-town doesn't have anybody good, and Dmetri McCamey is hot again.

Shabazz ineffective and Dieng didn't play in the first quarter.

Only 1 point and 2 TO's for McLemore, who looks as unprepared for the NBA as Muhammad.

DM is looking like he belongs somewhere in the league!

Yeah, don't know much about McCamey, but he is one of those great Summer League players.

Announcers just said Ben McLemore's next assist will be his FIRST in summer league.

back to back dumb plays by Dieng along with not hustling back on D.

As I post that he blocks someone haha

Hummel twists an ankle and comes out of the game. Kid just cant get a break.

Shabazz providing a glimmer of hope with 2 quick 2nd half buckets.