The Love-Wiggins Deal Thread

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Lipoli390

The Love-Wiggins Deal Thread

Post by Lipoli390 »

Lots of discussion about a possible Love for Wiggins deal in a number of threads. So I thought I'd start one dedicated solely to discussing that potential deal as we hear more and more reports pointing in that direction. Here are some of my thoughts:

1. Do I want it to happen? Absolutely yes! In spite of my misgivings about Wiggins' ball-handling and motor/aggressiveness, there is no disputing his potential to be a star. This franchise can't afford to be timid. Timidity for a franchise like ours is a prescription for mediocrity or worse. Love is a great player, but it is highly unlikely he would stay here after next season if we were to keep him. The chance to get a potential superstar or all-star in return with another good young asset or two (e.g., Bennett) is an opportunity the Wolves can't afford to pass up.

2. Will it happen? I initially thought it would happen, but then I started to believe the Cavs' public statements of their intent to keep Wiggins were sincere. Actually, I think their statements were sincere. Front office personnel and scouts take a lot of pride in their picks and tend to get further entrenched in their selections as time goes on unless proven otherwise by the player's failure. But the X factor was LeBron and apparently he finally weighed in and is now urging the Cavs to get Love even if it means giving up Wiggins. That was the breakthrough the Wolves needed. And no doubt Love's agent is also pushing both sides to do the deal. So I'm back to where I started when LeBron first announced his return to Cleveland. That is, I anticipate the Wolves dealing Love to the Cavs for some package including Wiggins. As I see it, the only thing that can stop such a deal from happening would be Flip. If he would rather keep Love or trade Love for a veteran-centric package, then the Wiggins deal won't happen. I'm developing more faith in Flip lately, so I can't see a Flip saying no to this one. Keeping my fingers crossed.

3. What players will be involved in the deal? I see the Wolves including Glen Robinson along with Love in the deal. Unless the Cavs sign Wiggins and wait 30 days to do the deal, Wiggins and Bennett would NOT be enough even with Haywood thrown in. Waiters or Thompson would have to be be included with Bennett and Wiggins, and if it's Waiters, the Cavs would still have to include Haywood -- something I don't think the Cavs will do given the lack of size in the middle on the Cavs' roster. However, if the Cavs include Thompson with Bennett and Wiggins they could match salaries by including Felix or Dellavedova without giving up Haywood. Ultimately, I see the Wolves getting Tristan Thompson along with Bennett, Wiggins and Felix in exchange for Love and Robinson. Thompson is key to matching salaries without the Cavs giving up Haywood. Also, Thompson's agent would probably push in that direction. Why? Because in Cleveland Thompson is a backup PF getting very limited minutes behind Love. On the Wolves, Thompson would be the favorite to start.

4. When will the deal happen? It should happen pretty quickly at this point. LeBron wants it to happen and Love's agent wants it to happen. There really isn't too much to negotiate since there are limited combinations that match salaries. There may be Back and forth on whether we get the Cavs' own pick or the Miami pick. Not a big deal in the scheme of things. So I see the deal getting done by next Monday. The only caveat would be if the two sides decide that Cleveland should sign Wiggins first to help match salaries. But that would be risky since Wiggins can't be included in a deal for 30 days after signing. That would be 30 days for a change of mind on one side or the other.
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Re: The Love-Wiggins Deal Thread

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

I'm not as high on Wiggins as others are, but this is probably the best deal we can get at this point and I do think he can eventually become a very good two-way wing, just not a superstar.

I am actually pretty interested in the details (i.e. the other moving parts here) because who else we ship out and what else we get back does matter to me in terms of building a competitive squad for 2014/15.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Lip I think you covered most things. I do think its possible they get a 3rd team invloved to iron out some salary issues which might help things but also take more time for the deal to be done. I don't know what is out there for FA vet centers but I agree I don't think they are going to want to give up Haywood. I think Flip is going to hold out for TT because that would make the team reasonably competitive. Of course that means someone else would need to go. We can just cut Shved as far as I am concerned. Lol
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Q12543 wrote:I'm not as high on Wiggins as others are, but this is probably the best deal we can get at this point and I do think he can eventually become a very good two-way wing, just not a superstar.

I am actually pretty interested in the details (i.e. the other moving parts here) because who else we ship out and what else we get back does matter to me in terms of building a competitive squad for 2014/15.

Q - I also have misgivings about Wiggins, but I see him having a higher ceiling than you see. I also share your interest in the other pieces of the deal. In my first post on a possible Cavs deal, I expressed my strong preference for getting Tristan Thompson in the deal. I like the idea of getting a PF who can step in right away as a starter averaging over 9 boards and 11 points yet still young enough to have more upside.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

monsterpile wrote:Lip I think you covered most things. I do think its possible they get a 3rd team invloved to iron out some salary issues which might help things but also take more time for the deal to be done. I don't know what is out there for FA vet centers but I agree I don't think they are going to want to give up Haywood. I think Flip is going to hold out for TT because that would make the team reasonably competitive. Of course that means someone else would need to go. We can just cut Shved as far as I am concerned. Lol

Monster - I'd love to send Shved to Cleveland and it my sincere hope that Blatz has very fond memories of coaching him on the Russian National team. :). Unfortunately, including Shved would really complicate the matching issue and force the Cavs to include Haywood in the deal. A third team could be brought in, but I haven't thought that through. Any thoughts on possible three-ways that would work?
Monster

Post by Monster »

My misgivings about Wiggins are from an article or 2 I read that suggest he is a little odd and while I haven't seen much I know his offense may be limited because of handle and whatever you want to call it aggressiveness on that end. The thing that makes me like him is the raving about his ability to defend and those steal block numbers for a freshman perimeter player show some promise there. Based on the situation I just don't see getting anything better than this guy who has been hyped for a long while and could be the answer at SF we have been looking for since idk maybe Malik Sealy died? Wally wasn't considered a 2 way player its been a mishmash of guys since then.

Idk about the 3-way deal its hard to know who actually has cap room I guess start with the teams that were able to bid on Boozer and go from there? Like I said in another thread I wonder if Flip has a deal lined up where he moves a wing or two. Flip has been tight lipped and quite frankly defiant (which I like) about what he is or isn't doing. I think he has a plan of what he wants I hope he can excecute it.
Crazysauce

Post by Crazysauce »

Looks like Warriors are trying to get back in on the deal now?

https://twitter.com/YannisNBA/status/489989503361089536
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

I just can't help salivating about potentially adding two elite athletes in one year. We go from being one of the least athletic teams to one of the most dynamic. I'm sure Ricky is relishing the thought of having Wiggins and Lavine on the break with him. We may not win 40 games, but every game is going to be must see TV.
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

crazysauce wrote:Looks like Warriors are trying to get back in on the deal now?

https://twitter.com/YannisNBA/status/489989503361089536

Think Flip is playing this right or what? But for what it's worth, I think the Cleveland deal is much better.
Crazysauce

Post by Crazysauce »

That is if this guy is wrong who says the deal is done and its Wiggins Thompson and Waiters for Love and GR3

https://twitter.com/NBAForward?original_referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.realcavsfans.com%2Fshowthread.php%3F40835-The-Kevin-Love-Safari%2599%2Fpage253&tw_i=489968841884053504&tw_p=tweetembed