Glen Fires the First Shots at Love

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
mnhoops [enjin:11017401]

Re: Glen Fires the First Shots at Love

Post by mnhoops [enjin:11017401] »

First reading those quotes didn't seem so bad until each proceeding headline started getting bolder and bolder about Love on his way out.

Granted it would be nice for him to take the better road with no comments and not that he was mis-quoted but what seemed to start off as a worry that he will be treated like Bosh in Miami as not receiving praise for accomplishments but receiving all the blame turned into him being the 3rd player out of the group.

The contract talks were primarily a truth that even without the broken hands there has always been whispers about his knees as a real concern and 20 million guaranteed is a lot of money for anyone especially at that length. Take a look a Portland with Brandon Roy and granted Insurance covered most of that I believe it's still a big commitment for a team and owner.

The only true shot I took from it was the reference to Big Al who I never even knew requested a trade which the way things went down might be a sour subject but at this point it doesn't gain anything to even bring up. Of course as fans and media these are the questions and answers everyone wants but anyone reading about this could have guessed what the answers and responses would have been.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

The comments are embarrassing.

It's not the first time Taylor has done this. He also ripped the last star player on his way out of town. When it's already difficult to get players to Minnesota... ripping the best ones behind their back as they leave is not going to help matters.

Maybe it's fitting for one of the most inept franchises in sports.
whatdtcom [enjin:6685945]

Post by whatdtcom [enjin:6685945] »

I completely agree with everyone here that Glen perhaps should refrain from saying anything beyond the standard----we wish Kevin nothing but the best in Cleveland.

But you guys have to remember----Papa Glen is an old school BILLIONAIRE. Back then, what you spoke was the truth. There's no sugar coating that goes on. To have a million bucks in our pocket is certainly a lifetime of savings---but for Glen, he's WELL past this mark. I'm sure in some sort of way, he feels entitle to say the things he does say because one, he does own the team and two, because he honestly can not see the fault to state the obvious.

The team can be on a 5 game losing streak and all I can see is him smiling, hugging and shaking everyone's hand from his courtside seats. He's honestly a genuine guy---even said hi to me---that bring up some very valid points.

But who's the bigger blame in all of this? The blind owner that can't see his fault? Or the rest of the staff, that needs to remind him but don't because they're scare to lose their job? Is it Flip? Who's really the 2nd guy at the Target Center (behind Glen). At what part in the TWolves pecking order that someone standup and tell Glen? They do have a public relations team right?
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

Steve McPherson made a good point on twitter. Taylor can't use the injury argument for Love not getting a 5 year deal now or in the past when he just gave Pek a 5 year deal and he doesn't play more than 65 games a year. It's just another poke saying one thing when he did another with a more injury prone player. Don't forget he also signed Martin to a 4 year deal and he is injury prone as well.
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

Also, the Kyrie > Love posts are cute but so far from the truth. While playing little to no defense, Love is a top 10 player in this league and is probably a top 5 player. Kyrie is not even a top 5 PG in this league, let alone overall player. Love will be the number 2 guy in Cleveland because he is twice as lethal offensively as Bosh and will be the primary pick and roll big while Kyrie is the backup pick and roll initiator. Love will be the pick setter for Lebron and Kyrie making him get twice as many looks as Kyrie will get.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:The comments are embarrassing.

It's not the first time Taylor has done this. He also ripped the last star player on his way out of town. When it's already difficult to get players to Minnesota... ripping the best ones behind their back as they leave is not going to help matters.

Maybe it's fitting for one of the most inept franchises in sports.

Agree! He's affable, but also petty. And most of all, he's an idiot.
Hicks123 [enjin:6700838]

Post by Hicks123 [enjin:6700838] »

Man, while I get the sentiment, all Kevin Love has done the past year is torpedo this team. I am not at all concerned about his comments and how they impact our ability to attract players in the future. Other players certainly have eyes and ears and have seen how Love has handled this whole situation....which is not well IMO. And many have cited the "disrespect" given him when we didn't apply the max 5 year deal. It may have been a mistake looking back, but it was certainly not a sign of disrespect. The team had concerns, and thus gave him what they deemed appropriate. Nothing wrong with that.

I just find it funny that a guy like Love can show all the antics he has shown, including giving an ultimatum and forcing his way out of town, and then Taylor takes heat because he says Love is a horrible defender and is a bit injury prone....which are both true.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Hicks123 wrote:Man, while I get the sentiment, all Kevin Love has done the past year is torpedo this team. I am not at all concerned about his comments and how they impact our ability to attract players in the future. Other players certainly have eyes and ears and have seen how Love has handled this whole situation....which is not well IMO. And many have cited the "disrespect" given him when we didn't apply the max 5 year deal. It may have been a mistake looking back, but it was certainly not a sign of disrespect. The team had concerns, and thus gave him what they deemed appropriate. Nothing wrong with that.

I just find it funny that a guy like Love can show all the antics he has shown, including giving an ultimatum and forcing his way out of town, and then Taylor takes heat because he says Love is a horrible defender and is a bit injury prone....which are both true.

Read the Robson article about Love's time in Minnesota. In the era of "petulant/self-centered players", the unnecessary obstacles the Wolves put in front of Love bordered on the comical.

One thing Robson didn't even mention...

Love sat behind a starting frontcourt of Ryan Hollins and Darko Milicic at one point for about 20 games. Who could ever think that was a smart play? Love has flaws. And he comes off as extremely disingenuous nearly every time he opens his mouth.

But nobody should blame him for wanting out of Minnesota after what transpired over the past 6 years.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

khans2k5 wrote:Steve McPherson made a good point on twitter. Taylor can't use the injury argument for Love not getting a 5 year deal now or in the past when he just gave Pek a 5 year deal and he doesn't play more than 65 games a year. It's just another poke saying one thing when he did another with a more injury prone player. Don't forget he also signed Martin to a 4 year deal and he is injury prone as well.

Convenient narratives or blatant hypocrisy is nothing new with Taylor.

Remember, Garnett was ripped for "Tanking" at the end of the 2007 season. Let's not forget that at the end of the 2006 season, Mark Madsen took SEVEN 3 pointers in a 9 minute span in the 4th quarter and OT of the final game of the season. He shot 1 - 13 for the game.

Embarrassing. Absolutely embarrassing.
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

As Captain Hook would say, "Bad form, Glen. Bad form."

I appreciate Glen keeping the Wolves in Minnesota. And he is willing to spend money at times. But Glen needs to hire a media relations guy to handle himself (sort of like they did with Kahn after his mouth filled up with a closet full of shoes!).

And I really appreciate Love taking the high road thus far, even after Glen's comments. I'm sure Glen had no intention of his comments becoming a huge story and taking away from the new guys big day. But he's gotta be smarter than that.