Stephen A Smith

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Phenom

Re: Stephen A Smith

Post by Phenom »

kekgeek1 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDrl_lMoCKU&list=UUIIKPy27YWW5yhc0qvr4KnA

To raise some of you guys blood pressure :)

Steven A is obviously out of touch with Wolves fans. But this is fine. Let perception help this deal go through.
Monster

Post by Monster »

zigzag22 wrote:My absolute favorite part of this situation is the certain media members who say "Flip Saunders needs to bite the bullet today and trade him otherwise the Wolves lose significant leverage..."

Really? Sort of like how we HAD to trade Love before the draft because the Boston pupu platter was the best we could get? Or how we had to take the GS offer because they would never include Klay and Lee/Barnes was the "best we could get..."

Bottom line is, as it CURRENTLY stands, you have to really enjoy how Flip is handling a situation that he cannot win. He has to trade the better player and get less in return, but by sticking to his guns (despite media backlash), he has successfully forced other teams to sweat a bit (rather than the small-market Wolves always having to sweat and panic).

I think the point of Flip's leverage that Horatio has brought up makes me consider another possible option for Flip. What if Flip doesn't get a no-brainer deal but he goes back to love in a few weeks and says, LKevin you saw the rumors you know teams want you and we turned down attractive deals to keep you. We are committed to you and we truely believ we can build something here we can all be proud of. We aren't asking you for anything byond this year... Etc" Flip can honestly show Love helistened to offers and at the end of the day He wanted to keep Love. Coach K's comments gave Flip even more leverage and stroked Love's ego a bit at the same time. Maybe Flip really has thought all along he will keep Love because what out there is actually more valuable than Love?

What we really don't know is where the Love situation is at. Do you actually believe all these reports? Some of the supposed trade offrs are a joke. What do we really know about Love? We know because it makes all the sense in the world he is going to opt out and be a free agent. It makes sense he can sign a new better paying deal (another reason not giving him 5th year was stupid) no matter where he goes that gives him the max. We know he hasn't contacted LaVine so probably not the other rookies which isn't a good sign. He said they when asked about the Wolves and his silence says a lot but he really hasn't said much publically and yet what he has said publically was actually praising Flip and had no issue with stuff Flip said about him and even said its probably something to think about. Love said he wants to win is tired of losing just like every fan here.

I'm not really wrapped up in this theory but if Love was absolutely forcing his way out like its basically being reported to the media then I find it odd that the reports from him when asked about playing with Lebron he is just "Intruiged". If he was really wanting out my guess the response would be "Hell yes!!!! Lebron!!!!!" Yeah I know that's pretty weak evidence but I really think Flip is not up against the wall as much as the media is leading people to believe.

Would it be tricky to have him on the roster next year? Yep but guys also know players like Love help you win games and make it easier for everyone. I'm interested to see how things play out.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

I have to admit, I love S. A Smith. And you have to give him and Skip credit for appreciating the value of
Kevin Love. Add coach K's recent comments on Love an you hear a rising chorus of expert sentiment that reinforces the common sense compelling case for Cleveland to give Flip what he wants.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

lipoli390 wrote:I have to admit, I love S. A Smith. And you have to give him and Skip credit for appreciating the value of
Kevin Love. Add coach K's recent comments on Love an you hear a rising chorus of expert sentiment that reinforces the common sense compelling case for Cleveland to give Flip what he wants.

I will agree with that the national media is really helping drive up Love's value, what he deserves.
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

I don't have ESPN so my only exposure to Smith and Bayless are snippets such as the one posted by kekgeek. My perception is that these two guys are blowhards, but regardless, that exchange was heartening to watch.

I also think people underrate Love's defense. I'm not suggesting he's a great defender, but he is not nearly as bad as people make him out to be; he actually does some good things on the defensive end that help an overall team defensive scheme.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Q12543 wrote:I don't have ESPN so my only exposure to Smith and Bayless are snippets such as the one posted by kekgeek. My perception is that these two guys are blowhards, but regardless, that exchange was heartening to watch.

I also think people underrate Love's defense. I'm not suggesting he's a great defender, but he is not nearly as bad as people make him out to be; he actually does some good things on the defensive end that help an overall team defensive scheme.

Would you be willing to elaborate on the positives of Love on the defensive end?
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

monsterpile wrote:
Q12543 wrote:I don't have ESPN so my only exposure to Smith and Bayless are snippets such as the one posted by kekgeek. My perception is that these two guys are blowhards, but regardless, that exchange was heartening to watch.

Would you be willing to elaborate on the positives of Love on the defensive end?

Sure. First and foremost, he's one of the very best defensive rebounders in the NBA. Folks seem to take this for granted, but it's absolutely key to playing good team defense. If you allow your opponents second and third chance shots, that is not good defense. Love ends possessions by collecting a large percentage of missed shots. That's a big deal.

Love also does quite well in guarding individual post-ups. His strong frame makes it difficult for players to back him in close. He also avoids fouling, which is a bit of a double-edged sword. The positive of that strategy is that he rarely gives opponents free throws, which is one of the most efficient ways to score the basketball.

Where Love is weak is getting back quickly in transition and providing rim protection. We all know this. But I'm willing to make that tradeoff if I'm getting an efficient 26 PPG, 4+ assists, and 12+ boards every night. That takes a hell of a lot of effort.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Q12543 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:

Sure. First and foremost, he's one of the very best defensive rebounders in the NBA. Folks seem to take this for granted, but it's absolutely key to playing good team defense. If you allow your opponents second and third chance shots, that is not good defense. Love ends possessions by collecting a large percentage of missed shots. That's a big deal.

Love also does quite well in guarding individual post-ups. His strong frame makes it difficult for players to back him in close. He also avoids fouling, which is a bit of a double-edged sword. The positive of that strategy is that he rarely gives opponents free throws, which is one of the most efficient ways to score the basketball.

Where Love is weak is getting back quickly in transition and providing rim protection. We all know this. But I'm willing to make that tradeoff if I'm getting an efficient 26 PPG, 4+ assists, and 12+ boards every night. That takes a hell of a lot of effort.

Thanks Q great post.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

lipoli390 wrote:I have to admit, I love S. A Smith. And you have to give him and Skip credit for appreciating the value of

Was nice to see them tear down Cleveland and their offer, but these are the two idiots who think Flip needs to be "drug tested" for turning down Love/Martin/13 (LaVine) for Thompson/Lee/Barnes. Skip proposed a Love for Irving swap for crying out loud. They don't really understand sports, but they're allowed to discuss them on TV for hours on hours. It's like SportsNation. If you're looking for semi-entertaining sports talk, that's where you'll find it. If you want intelligent sports discussion, that is without a doubt the wrong place to go for it.
mrhockey89

Post by mrhockey89 »

Isn't it crazy to look back on the pre-draft stuff and think about how many ways Flip could have played this? Most people agreed that the Wolves best value was pre-draft when we load up on picks and players of our choosing. By waiting until free agency played out a bit, the LeBron domino allowed this extra Cleveland scenario to play out, which is absolutely ideal for the Wolves in that not only does it get the Wolves the option at the only trade they could complete that could actually end up in a net win in the end (for both teams, really), but something all fans would be able to get behind and it also gets Love out of the West and strengthens the East.