So, Flip as the new coach is official?

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
AbeVigodaLive

So, Flip as the new coach is official?

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

So, Flip is the new coach, right?
Why wouldn't he take it?

Consider...

1. He TRIED to find a replacement. Because of the Love situation, he was snubbed. So he avoids the PR backlash of "he wanted the job all along."
2. The other option is a retread like Sam Mitchell? Does he move the needle any more than Saunders? Probably less so for most people, right?
3. He can gain power that only a few guys in the league have. And act humble about doing what's best for the franchise. Double win.
4. He has minimal expectations as a coach. Most people are resigned to the Wolves taking a step back (which is sad considering the team wasn't even .500 last season)
5. It's a no-lose situation. Win... and Saunders is seen as the miracle worker around the league. He's suddenly a top-notch coach AND GM. And one of the most powerful guys in the L. Lose...? Well, he only took the job by default. Now, he can hire the real coach and concentrate on GM duties. It actually extends his shelf life.
bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232]

Re: So, Flip as the new coach is official?

Post by bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232] »

I wouldn't be to upset if this is what happens.
Monster

Post by Monster »

That's a reasonable perspective. I'll point out that we have been talking about how some guys are a little older for the position and Flip isn't OLD but he is 59 so maybe in the back of his mind he may not want the daily grind of coaching especially if he is rebuilding a roster with young guys. I think there will be someone more exciting than Mitchell that will take the job. I think unless something weird happens (which the way the coaching news has been that seems almost likely lol) I think the Wolves won't end up hiring someone till after the draft. That's fine with me.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

I don't think Flip will take HC duties, but I damn sure would rather have him lead this team than Sam Mitchell. So if that's the toss up, I'll take Flip.
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

I've been fairly certain from the beginning that Flip would not end up as coach, but Souhan's article makes a lot of sense. I'm still probably the only guy on this board in Sam Mitchell's corner, but Saunders as an interim guy until the Love situation sorts it out may not be too bad an alternative.

Kahn's blunder with Love's contracts puts Wolves fans like myself in a position where it's difficult to expect much out of this coaching search.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wolves/260863551.html?page=2&c=y
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

As you all know I've been predicting from the outset that Flip would ultimately appoint himself head coach. And I've suspected from day one that making himself head coach was Flip's objective from the day he became President of Basketball Operations. I also suspected that Flip would manipulate the coaching search to serve his objective and overcome Glen's resistance to the idea. So I think it's only a matter of time.

Let me say at the outset that I think Flip has been a pretty good NBA head coach and I agree with Cam that Flip would be a far better choice than Sam Mitchell. However, let's not be mislead into believing that the uncertainty surrounding Love is preventing Flip from hiring a very good head coach, including Hollins, Mark Jackson or George Karl. Those guys really want to be back as NBA head coaches and there are very limited options for them. They all have big egos and track records of success that would lead them to believe they would be successful here. Their thinking would go something like the following: If Love is traded, then expectations will be fairly low and i'll have a younger team to mold to my liking. If Love stays with a couple roster tweaks this summer, I believe I can turn a big chunk of those close losses last season into close wins. Don't underestimate the ego and confidence that goes with being head coach material.

So don't be fooled. If Flip wants to hire a top caliber head coach like Hollins, Jackson, Karl or Blatt, he can and he will. Otherwise, the process has simple been a prelude to Flip doing what he likely intended to do from the beginning. If we do end up with Flip as our head coach I will be sadly disappointed. But honestly, we could do worse. Do you remember Kurt Rambis?? :).
colvillhoops [enjin:6641266]

Post by colvillhoops [enjin:6641266] »

I am ok with Flip as coach as a bridge to get through the next couple of years to where maybe we will have a club that a Fred Hoiberg or a Billy Donovan would be interested in coaching.

Also, if K. Love is not completely out the door he does seem to have a decent relationship with Flip and maybe there would be an outside chance he might change his mind(although I would trade him now if the right deal comes along!)
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

lipoli390 wrote:As you all know I've been predicting from the outset that Flip would ultimately appoint himself head coach. And I've suspected from day one that making himself head coach was Flip's objective from the day he became President of Basketball Operations. I also suspected that Flip would manipulate the coaching search to serve his objective and overcome Glen's resistance to the idea. So I think it's only a matter of time.

Let me say at the outset that I think Flip has been a pretty good NBA head coach and I agree with Cam that Flip would be a far better choice than Sam Mitchell. However, let's not be mislead into believing that the uncertainty surrounding Love is preventing Flip from hiring a very good head coach, including Hollins, Mark Jackson or George Karl. Those guys really want to be back as NBA head coaches and there are very limited options for them. They all have big egos and track records of success that would lead them to believe they would be successful here. Their thinking would go something like the following: If Love is traded, then expectations will be fairly low and i'll have a younger team to mold to my liking. If Love stays with a couple roster tweaks this summer, I believe I can turn a big chunk of those close losses last season into close wins. Don't underestimate the ego and confidence that goes with being head coach material.

So don't be fooled. If Flip wants to hire a top caliber head coach like Hollins, Jackson, Karl or Blatt, he can and he will. Otherwise, the process has simple been a prelude to Flip doing what he likely intended to do from the beginning. If we do end up with Flip as our head coach I will be sadly disappointed. But honestly, we could do worse. Do you remember Kurt Rambis?? :).

Wait. What?

Are you being facetious? While I was saying it was always Flip's job since the day he was hired, weren't you pointing to your "inside sources" claiming that Saunders was not going to be the coach?
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Abe -- I posted my view that Flip would likely make himself the next head coach long before my source said it would be Hoiberg. I also posted a few weeks ago that I think my source was wrong. :). I was at the press conference announcing Flip as our new President of Basketball Ops where Flip refused to say he would not coach the team. His answer to that question made it clear to me that Flip intended to eventually coach this team. But he still has to overcome Glen's resistance.
WildWolf2813

Post by WildWolf2813 »

abe- you're missing the big reason why Flip would take the HC job.

If he sucks, who's firing him?