Official 2014 NBA draft thread

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Hicks123 [enjin:6700838]

Re: Official 2014 NBA draft thread

Post by Hicks123 [enjin:6700838] »

He has already been talked about a bit, but I actually think LaVine is an interesting guy. Ready for the NBA? Absolutely not. But man, he has some freakish talents. First, he is SOOOOO explosive. Best pure athlete in draft if I had to guess. Also, when it comes time for workouts, he will certainly be one of the top 3-4 fastest players in workouts. He is just so quick. Also, very good shooter with massive range. Those are the GOOD things that stand out when watching him.

The bad? Well, while a very good shooter, the thing that makes him inconsistent are his body mechanics. They are a bit all over from shot to shot, making him erratic at times. Not repeatable motion. If you watch Stauskas, he shoots the same every time, making him automatic. LaVine is also frail at 180 lbs. He will simply not be able to guard anyone at the next level until he adds size. But, he is very young and should fill out some.

I can see why this guy is polarizing to GM's already. He certainly has the height, skill and athleticism that makes people jump out of their seats. On the other hand, he is frail, and shows his young age and inexperience by completely disappearing in many situations.

He could be the ultimate bench weapon in a few years as he will be able to spot play either guard spots. If he can harness his talent, I certainly see the Westbrook comparisons. I, for one, want to see more of this guy. While he wouldn't help a lot next season, he may be worth developing.
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

Hicks123 wrote:He has already been talked about a bit, but I actually think LaVine is an interesting guy. Ready for the NBA? Absolutely not. But man, he has some freakish talents. First, he is SOOOOO explosive. Best pure athlete in draft if I had to guess. Also, when it comes time for workouts, he will certainly be one of the top 3-4 fastest players in workouts. He is just so quick. Also, very good shooter with massive range. Those are the GOOD things that stand out when watching him.

The bad? Well, while a very good shooter, the thing that makes him inconsistent are his body mechanics. They are a bit all over from shot to shot, making him erratic at times. Not repeatable motion. If you watch Stauskas, he shoots the same every time, making him automatic. LaVine is also frail at 180 lbs. He will simply not be able to guard anyone at the next level until he adds size. But, he is very young and should fill out some.

I can see why this guy is polarizing to GM's already. He certainly has the height, skill and athleticism that makes people jump out of their seats. On the other hand, he is frail, and shows his young age and inexperience by completely disappearing in many situations.

He could be the ultimate bench weapon in a few years as he will be able to spot play either guard spots. If he can harness his talent, I certainly see the Westbrook comparisons. I, for one, want to see more of this guy. While he wouldn't help a lot next season, he may be worth developing.

He certainly can jump high, I'll give you that. What he hasn't demonstrated is an ability to play basketball...couldn't even crack the starting lineup at UCLA.

I don't see Russell Westbrook...I see Rodney Williams.
Hicks123 [enjin:6700838]

Post by Hicks123 [enjin:6700838] »

LST, I am certainly not unaware that he could go that direction as well. That being said, there are certainly "basketball related areas" that give the edge to a guy like LaVine capitalizing over a guy like Rodney Williams. Let's start with Skill. Rodney really never had any. Wasn't really skilled in any facet of the game, he was simply an athlete. Also, long-term, his size made him a SF at the NBA level, which he showed none of the requisite skills. LaVine, on the other hand, shows skills needed to be a guard at the next level (not sure yet if SG, PG or combo...TBD depending on development). He has the handles necessary to play, has the length to play, and is certainly more than a capable shooter. In watching many of his highlights, he certainly has NBA range and then some. Again, maddeningly inconsistent, but it is clearly a strength at times.

All that said, I am really not advocating for this guy. In fact, if our goal is to pacify Love and get better IMMEDIATELY (which should be the goal), then he is clearly not a player to look at in the 2014 draft. That being said, based on what I see from a current skill as well as an upside standpoint, he is intriguing for the right team in the 15-20 range.
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

Hicks123 wrote:LST, I am certainly not unaware that he could go that direction as well. That being said, there are certainly "basketball related areas" that give the edge to a guy like LaVine capitalizing over a guy like Rodney Williams. Let's start with Skill. Rodney really never had any. Wasn't really skilled in any facet of the game, he was simply an athlete. Also, long-term, his size made him a SF at the NBA level, which he showed none of the requisite skills. LaVine, on the other hand, shows skills needed to be a guard at the next level (not sure yet if SG, PG or combo...TBD depending on development). He has the handles necessary to play, has the length to play, and is certainly more than a capable shooter. In watching many of his highlights, he certainly has NBA range and then some. Again, maddeningly inconsistent, but it is clearly a strength at times.

All that said, I am really not advocating for this guy. In fact, if our goal is to pacify Love and get better IMMEDIATELY (which should be the goal), then he is clearly not a player to look at in the 2014 draft. That being said, based on what I see from a current skill as well as an upside standpoint, he is intriguing for the right team in the 15-20 range.

Yeah, I agree that LaVine isn't the guy to help the "keep Love" goal. I was really excited a couple months ago to go watch him live at Pauley because I had read all the hype. Man, was I disappointed! He only got off the bench for 15 minutes, and was largely invisible. But he could really sky in the layup drill at halftime! It made me think of Williams who could also sky, but couldn't do much else to help his team. I don't know if you remember, but Williams was showing up as a lottery pick in many mock drafts during his freshman year...I suspect LaVine will go in the same direction.
TeamRicky [enjin:6648771]

Post by TeamRicky [enjin:6648771] »

I want Glenn Robinson with a late 1st or 2nd round pick. He would have been a lottery pick had he come out last year. Nice pedigree.
WildWolf2813

Post by WildWolf2813 »

TeamRicky wrote:I want Glenn Robinson with a late 1st or 2nd round pick. He would have been a lottery pick had he come out last year. Nice pedigree.

Glenn is soft and disappears in virtually every big game he plays.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

WildWolf2813 wrote:
TeamRicky wrote:I want Glenn Robinson with a late 1st or 2nd round pick. He would have been a lottery pick had he come out last year. Nice pedigree.

Glenn is soft and disappears in virtually every big game he plays.

This is true, though for a second round pick I'd probably draft him. I don't think he'll be there, though. Plenty of other options, however.
northernhoops [enjin:9491634]

Post by northernhoops [enjin:9491634] »

Gary Harris video
http://youtu.be/wTYbe62dXLo
Thoughts? Moved to the top of my SG
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

northernhoops wrote:Gary Harris video
http://youtu.be/wTYbe62dXLo
Thoughts? Moved to the top of my SG

Love Harris too. He's second on my SG list. Wish his ability to create offense was better. Not too much to complain about overall, though.
northernhoops [enjin:9491634]

Post by northernhoops [enjin:9491634] »

Closest thing to a two way player, that could be available at our pick in my mind