Next season's coach

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
60WinTim

Next season's coach

Post by 60WinTim »

Stein's source is probably Doogie and/or Walters, but we might as well let the speculation begin!

http://espn.go.com/blog/marc-stein/post/_/id/1929/whats-next-for-kevin-love-and-wolves
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Re: Next season's coach

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

Adelman to step down as head coach in the off-season. Yippeee!
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

And the PP guy just added this (which I did not know):

Andy Greder ?@twolvesnow 10m
#Twolves and coach Rick Adelman each have a two-week window at end of the season to opt out of final year of the coach's four-year contract.
thedoper

Post by thedoper »

We all know that Lip is Stein's source. Freddy would be good. I really like LST's thought of Howland as well.
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

I just find it hard to believe that Hoiberg would ever want to leave his gig in Iowa. Seems like a dream job to me and one that he excels at. He could have a statue erected in 30 years.

As for Izzo, unlike Hoiberg, he's been coaching at the college level for so many years that I think he would have a hell of a time adapting to coaching NBA players. It wasn't that long ago that Freddie was a pro himself and worked in a pro front office. Not the case with Izzo. I think he'd fare poorly in the NBA.

I don't know enough about the unemployed former head coaches or rising star assistants out there to make any of my own suggestions. I just don't think Hoiberg or Izzo are possibilities, but for different reasons.
BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520]

Post by BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520] »

Unfortunately our coach will be whoever Love wants. I'd be ok with The Mayor, but prefer SVG.
colvillhoops [enjin:6641266]

Post by colvillhoops [enjin:6641266] »

I remember Lip's post a while back where he mentioned that if Adelman does not come back the person Flip wanted was someone who Lip was very excited about. He didn't or couldn't mention names. Fred sounds like that could be the name??
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

Q12543 wrote:I just find it hard to believe that Hoiberg would ever want to leave his gig in Iowa. Seems like a dream job to me and one that he excels at. He could have a statue erected in 30 years.

As for Izzo, unlike Hoiberg, he's been coaching at the college level for so many years that I think he would have a hell of a time adapting to coaching NBA players. It wasn't that long ago that Freddie was a pro himself and worked in a pro front office. Not the case with Izzo. I think he'd fare poorly in the NBA.

I don't know enough about the unemployed former head coaches or rising star assistants out there to make any of my own suggestions. I just don't think Hoiberg or Izzo are possibilities, but for different reasons.

Q, I've heard the argument that Freddy has it too good in Ames to leave, but it just doesn't make sense to me. The Wolves job is just so much more attractive in so many ways:

1) He makes $1.5 million at Iowa State. Adelman makes $5 million. Does Freddy really want to turn his back on an extra $3.5 million a year?

2) Fred is a family guy, and coaching a pro team is much more family friendly than coaching a college team. Both are intense during the fall and winter, but the kids are in school then. The difference is the summer. Pro coaches don't have much to do from the end of the playoffs until the beginning of training camp, while college coaches spend their "off-season" in potential recruits' living rooms and AAU gyms. I don't know why anyone with a family would choose college coaching over pro coaching.

3) Have you been to Ames before? It's pretty dismal. The best thing I can say about it is it's only 30 minutes from Des Moines (whoo hoo!).

I don't know if Fred is the right guy, but he's too smart to turn down an offer from the Wolves.
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

Fred has one thing in Ames that he can't get anywhere else. If he wants to coach the rest of his life for the Cyclones, they're going to let him. He's called the mayor for a reason. He is a legend in Ames and $3.5 for a few years is nothing compared to $1.5 million for as long as he wants. Job security on that level just isn't available in the NBA. Pop is probably the longest tenured coach in the NBA on 1 team at 18 years. There are a couple college coaches with even more years than that. The job security is just better on the college level and that is just as appealing to some people than a few years of making better money with a lot of pressure and very little security.
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

khans2k5 wrote:Fred has one thing in Ames that he can't get anywhere else. If he wants to coach the rest of his life for the Cyclones, they're going to let him. He's called the mayor for a reason. He is a legend in Ames and $3.5 for a few years is nothing compared to $1.5 million for as long as he wants. Job security on that level just isn't available in the NBA. Pop is probably the longest tenured coach in the NBA on 1 team at 18 years. There are a couple college coaches with even more years than that. The job security is just better on the college level and that is just as appealing to some people than a few years of making better money with a lot of pressure and very little security.

I'm not buying it, khans. Fred is "the mayor" in Ames because he's a good guy who has had success both as a player and a coach there...but he needs both. The only guys who have jobs for life in college are the legends
who win every year...if Freddy can't perform, just being a nice guy and a local legend won't be enough. You need two things to consistently perform in college...players and money. And Ames, Iowa will never be on the radar for high school stars, and Iowa State will never be a top spending school. McHale was quite popular in Minnesota too, but we sure turned on him when he did a couple things we didn't like.

You're correct, though that NBA coaches don't often stay in the same job long. But they do tend to recycle into new jobs fairly regularly. Freddy would likely insist on a 4-5 year contract, and 4-5 years at $5 million a year puts a smart guy on easy street for the rest of his life.