Next season's coach

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
60WinTim

Re: Next season's coach

Post by 60WinTim »

Oh great. Eric Musselman just announced he's leaving Arizona State (he is an assistant). Guess who replaced Adelman when he left Sacramento... :roll:
whatdtcom [enjin:6685945]

Post by whatdtcom [enjin:6685945] »

A couple of thoughts from this thread....

Lloyd---couldn't agree more with this assessment. The Spurs have just developed a bunch of no bodies to a cohesive team---and all they do is win. Why not get someone from that culture and develop it here!

Rick is about 90% gone after this season. As someone very close to Flip said to me---Flip is management now and doesn't like to meddle into the coaching aspects of the game citing that he hated that when he coached. Flip would rather let the coach "hang himself" or after a long pause succeed with our current roster. It was very telling which was discussed internally.

Future coaches---While the hot coach is Freddy here in MN. Don't discount him taking the the Golden State job or at least look into it.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

whatdtcom wrote:A couple of thoughts from this thread....

Lloyd---couldn't agree more with this assessment. The Spurs have just developed a bunch of no bodies to a cohesive team---and all they do is win. Why not get someone from that culture and develop it here!

Rick is about 90% gone after this season. As someone very close to Flip said to me---Flip is management now and doesn't like to meddle into the coaching aspects of the game citing that he hated that when he coached. Flip would rather let the coach "hang himself" or after a long pause succeed with our current roster. It was very telling which was discussed internally.

Future coaches---While the hot coach is Freddy here in MN. Don't discount him taking the the Golden State job or at least look into it.

The Golden State job? Is Mark Jackson on the way out? That would be surprising.
Volans19

Post by Volans19 »

lipoli390 wrote:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/warriors-jackson-says-future-depends-175848497--nba.html
worldK

Post by worldK »

Im warming up to hoiberg. If he is the choice then I would hope to have a nba experienced coach as the lead assistant.. If monty williams got let go by the pelicans this off season, he is someone i would love freddy to bring in as his lead assistant.

The positive with hoiberg is we know he is a big fan of rubio. So i expect him to use rubio well. He was here when we drafted love and im not sure of their relationship but if love respects him then thats a positive as well.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

worldK wrote:Im warming up to hoiberg. If he is the choice then I would hope to have a nba experienced coach as the lead assistant.. If monty williams got let go by the pelicans this off season, he is someone i would love freddy to bring in as his lead assistant.

The positive with hoiberg is we know he is a big fan of rubio. So i expect him to use rubio well. He was here when we drafted love and im not sure of their relationship but if love respects him then thats a positive as well.

I'm not saying you're wrong at all, but what happened to make you think Hoiberg is a big fan of Rubio? This is probably something I haven't seen or put together myself. Could change the whole way I think about him, to be honest.
worldK

Post by worldK »

Cam, during the 2009 draft, hoiberg was working at the front office of the team. I remember him speaking glowingly of rubio and how he can be a positive impact on a team. That is before khan drafted rubio.
worldK

Post by worldK »

Other tidbits about freddy's talent evaluating:

I remember hoiberg having doubts whether mayo can be a superstar in the league. He felt mayo lacks nba quickness to get by nba defenders and would be a jump shooter in the league. The guys he likes the most at the kevin love draft was rose,love and lopez.
Flip was on record saying he thought love could be a double double guy, but never thought he could be a 20+10+ guy and one of the best players in the league. David khan famously said love would be the 4th best player on a contending team.

He was a firm believer in rubio before the draft.

He didnt think corey brewer projects to be a lock down defender. A disruptive and active defender? yes. But a lockdown bruce bowen, prince type that he is being hyped to be? no. Felt brewer didnt have the fundamentals and discipline to be that lock down defender.

He coached royce white and though he is a lottery talent. He told mchale that when the rockets did background check on white. Of course white has mental issues as well and we may never know whether he indeed has lottery talent or not.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Volans19 wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/warriors-jackson-says-future-depends-175848497--nba.html

Thanks for posting. I hadn't heard that. I'd still be really surprised if the Warriors let Jackson go after this season regardless of what happens in the playoffs. But anything's possible in the NBA.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

worldK wrote:Im warming up to hoiberg. If he is the choice then I would hope to have a nba experienced coach as the lead assistant.. If monty williams got let go by the pelicans this off season, he is someone i would love freddy to bring in as his lead assistant.

I'd be fine with Fred. But I'd still prefer Stan VanGundy or Hollins because of their track records of success as NBA head coaches. I'd actually be fine with Monty Williams as our next head coach. I think it's going to be Fred, but we'll see. I really hope Flip makes his coaching decision before the draft and even before we start draft workouts. I think it's critical to have our next head coach involved in the draft process from the beginning.