5 Biggest Mistakes the Minnesota Timberwolves Made This Season

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
observerII [enjin:6598557]

Re: 5 Biggest Mistakes the Minnesota Timberwolves Made This Season

Post by observerII [enjin:6598557] »

What is truly incredible is the list of posters on this board who still think the Wolves should have kept DWilliams. Oh boy, he has really set the world on fire in Sacramento.
mjs34

Post by mjs34 »

observerII wrote:What is truly incredible is the list of posters on this board who still think the Wolves should have kept DWilliams. Oh boy, he has really set the world on fire in Sacramento.

As opposed to the fireballs' we currently have on our bench ????
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

Trading Ridnour instead of Barea. Or does that count as an off-season mistake? Hmmm...
WildWolf2813

Post by WildWolf2813 »

As soon as I saw that Adelman wouldn't even use Shabazz or Gorgui in blowouts where 5 corpses couldn't blow a giant lead so fast, I knew things weren't gonna go well.

Just such a punch to the gut. The crazy thing is that initially some of you guys were all for not playing Muhammad or Dieng.
BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520]

Post by BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520] »

longstrangetrip wrote:
BizarroJerry wrote:There's a lot of pining here for Hoiberg, do we know if he's really a good coach? I'm not so sure NBA coaching experience is necessary (see Kidd, Jason). But I wonder if he's not just now seeing the fruits of his celebrity recruiting a few years ago. Maybe some people who have watched Iowa St. play can chime in? He seems pretty mild mannered, I thought people wanted someone who's more fiery, aggressive, Thibodeau-like?

It's a great question, Lloyd, and not one I have the answer to. The uncertainty about how good a coach he will be is probably why there is an equal amount of love here for SVG.

Although I don't know if he is the right guy, I would support him for the following reasons:

1) Royce White would walk over hot coals for him. He seems like the kind of coach that gets the maximum out of his players by showing them he believes in them in his quiet way. The nature of the NBA is that rosters will always have a few guys who came from a troubled early life, and Hoiberg seems like the kind of guy who would be a great father figure for them. I think he could get the most out of Shabazz, for instance, or even a lost soul like Alexey Shved.

2) He has over achieved at Iowa State. He had much less talent on his roster than rival Kansas, but he still coached ISU to a better overall record.

3) He is known to coach a pro style game, so the transition shouldn't be too difficult.

4) He is very smart. Having heard him speak a few times at my breakfast club, I came away very impressed with his basketball acumen, as well as his ability to control Sid Hartman :) .

At first I was on board with the concept of a fiery coach, and Fred doesn't fit that profile. But Jeff Hornacek is the poster boy for coaches that turned teams around, and I wouldn't describe him as fiery. Frankly, anyone that is more engaged during a game than Adelman will seem fiery.

Good points LST. Although I wouldn't take anything Royce White says or does as genuine. I'm just worried that we're giving too many points for being a former Wolf and because he has a cabin on Gull Lake. But I'm starting to believe he may do better than SVG with our younger players.
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

In Hoiberg we trust.
BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520]

Post by BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520] »

Another huge mistake was Flip not offering AK a 3 year extension last summer. His 37 games at 5.2 ppg would have been nice this season.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

I'll take the coach that has links to developing Dwyane Wade and Dwight Howard over an unknown (Hoiberg) at the NBA level.

SVG, who coached his Magic to beat the best player in the world (LeBron) in the ECF.

Same coach that took Rafer Alston starting at point guard and Hedo Turkoglu starting at SF to the NBA Finals.

Same guy who won over 64% (55% in playoffs) of his games as a coach.

Out of eight seasons as a head coach in the NBA, he won 50+ regular season games five times.

One of those three non-50 win seasons was his rookie year, so to speak, and he ended up with 42 wins.

In 2011, he didn't reach 50 wins because of the lockout/short season. 56% win pct that year so comparable to 46 games won out of 82.

One of those three seasons that he didn't reach 50, he was fired at the beginning of the year after only 21 games.

The guy's resume speaks for itself. If he were willing to coach this group of talent, which he might be, then it shouldn't be a hard decision at all. He's a winner. He trusts his players, evident by how he handled Dwyane Wade's rookie year. He usually coaches efficient offenses and he knows the importance of defense, especially in the playoffs. Let's not overthink this. Is Hoiberg a bad option? Not necessarily, but would I take him over Van Gundy? You're crazy.
alexftbl8181 [enjin:6648741]

Post by alexftbl8181 [enjin:6648741] »

How about the fact that after all these years people say you have to surround rubio and love with as many 3 point shooters as you can, STILL haven't been able a single 3 and D guy?
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

I like SVG, but I doubt Flip hires someone that might not be able to coexist with him.