KAT trade ideas

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Q-is-here

Re: KAT trade ideas

Post by Q-is-here »

kekgeek wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 3:21 pm Wolves met with projected Top 10 pick Anthony Black today. It’s interesting to say the least
That is interesting. I think they have to be working parallel paths as far as next season is concerned. Path #1 is run it back and make tweaks around the edges of the roster, especially bench guards, and Path #2 is a pivot to a roster that has more assets on the Ant/Jaden timeline. The Anthony Black conversation is preparation in the event Path #2 is taken.

I think their desire is to take Path #1, but if some offer comes along for KAT or Gobert that is really good and includes a high first rounder, than they need to be prepared for it.
Crazysauce

Post by Crazysauce »

Sounds like Portland looking to trade out of the 3 spot to add someone next to Dame. Mackey and others have speculated a Kat deal here. Maybe get 3 and Simons back. If scoot falls to 3 this would be intriguing.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

WildWolf2813 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:55 pm
Coolbreeze44 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 1:29 pm Ant is our point guard of the future. And we should be talking to the Nets about Bridges and Claxton which would be the ultimate return for KAT. I don't want Randle, and the Knicks have little else they are willing to give us. Here is what gets you talking about an NBA title

1 - Ant
2 - Bridges
3 - McDaniels
4 - Claxton
5 - Rudy

6 - NAZ
7 - Kyle

Odds of them giving you either Claxton or Bridges, let alone both of them for Towns is less than zero.
Do you seriously believe that the Nets wouldn’t give up Claxton for KAT??? Not sure what you’re smoking, but it’s pretty powerful stuff. Whether they’d give Bridges for KAT is another question. The answer is maybe. But the chances are NOT less than zero by any stretch. Getting both is unlikely, but not out of the question.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Q-is-here wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 4:07 pm
kekgeek wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 3:21 pm Wolves met with projected Top 10 pick Anthony Black today. It’s interesting to say the least
That is interesting. I think they have to be working parallel paths as far as next season is concerned. Path #1 is run it back and make tweaks around the edges of the roster, especially bench guards, and Path #2 is a pivot to a roster that has more assets on the Ant/Jaden timeline. The Anthony Black conversation is preparation in the event Path #2 is taken.

I think their desire is to take Path #1, but if some offer comes along for KAT or Gobert that is really good and includes a high first rounder, than they need to be prepared for it.
Yep. And that’s exactly what they should be doing.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Lipoli390 wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 8:02 pm
Q-is-here wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 4:07 pm

Yep. And that’s exactly what they should be doing.
There is simply no reason for them not to be checking out players in the draft. It’s their job and you just never know what a team might be willing to do to upgrade. It’s been a long time ago now but remember the Wolves traded Foye and Mike Miller to Washington for what turned out to a really valuable pick especially in hindsight. There might be a way to trade into the lottery without moving a big time player. I’m not getting my hopes up for any type of trade bringing back a high draft pick or maybe even a first rounder but I’m just saying yeah they should be doing as much homework as possible for any scenario.

You never know who is gonna drop either. Connelly knows about that as well as anybody. There might be a team that is willing to trade a late first for a guy like Prince along with some sort of salary dump. Again not expecting that to happen but they should be preparing for any scenario. I don’t think anyone wants to trade Kyle Anderson but if you could move him for a good enough pick and maybe save some salary in the process…it may not be the worst idea although that seems pretty unlikely.

Also another reason you do all this homework is that often these guys are available months or a couple years later. Having as much info to inform whether or not you want them is a big deal. It’s also good to go through the process and see how well you had guys ranked. Maybe there was something you missed or maybe they look back and be like damn we nailed which guys we thought would be good so think we are doing things right or whatever. If I was a part of that group I’d be all up in the whole draft process as much as possible.
WildWolf2813

Post by WildWolf2813 »

Lipoli390 wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 8:02 pm
WildWolf2813 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:55 pm
Coolbreeze44 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 1:29 pm Ant is our point guard of the future. And we should be talking to the Nets about Bridges and Claxton which would be the ultimate return for KAT. I don't want Randle, and the Knicks have little else they are willing to give us. Here is what gets you talking about an NBA title

1 - Ant
2 - Bridges
3 - McDaniels
4 - Claxton
5 - Rudy

6 - NAZ
7 - Kyle

Odds of them giving you either Claxton or Bridges, let alone both of them for Towns is less than zero.
Do you seriously believe that the Nets wouldn’t give up Claxton for KAT??? Not sure what you’re smoking, but it’s pretty powerful stuff. Whether they’d give Bridges for KAT is another question. The answer is maybe. But the chances are NOT less than zero by any stretch. Getting both is unlikely, but not out of the question.
They wouldn't. Like I said, they view Claxton the way we view McDaniels and we consider McDaniels damn near untouchable so why wouldn't they?

I'll go back to what I've said all along about KAT and that his reputation now combined with his salary is hurting him because other teams and fans see what we see. We see a talented guy who is now grossly overpaid and has a firm rep as a softie. Teams aren't gonna give up great value for that. Because of the Rudy Gobert situation, teams in the immediate aftermath are gonna very cautious about giving up the sun, moon and stars for non needle movers, and a team like Brooklyn who just got off their own rollercoaster isn't trying to re-accumulate assets just to cash them in for Towns. For a KD, teams will try it. For KAT, they won't. Fact is, we gave KAT a supermax extension and for that we're paying for the right to see his career resurrect or die in a Wolves jersey. The way the new CBA is set up, it's forced this team to have to see it all the way through because no one is gonna pay full freight to risk seeing it on their watch.
Phenom

Post by Phenom »

I think if Portland wants to flip Scoot for Towns, it would be a great play for the Wolves. It frees up the upcoming cap constraints and aligns the cap well through the last few years of Goberts deal. It brings in another high level, on the ball guard, to pair with Ant and Jaden for the long term. It creates an opportunity to create a serious role for Naz which the team reportedly wants. It will also put the timeline squarely back on Ant, which the fans and front office (now) wants. I'll be shocked if this conversation doesn't happen considering the reports about Lillard urging the team to look for veteran help.

And if it also nets the team Simons and Nurk, I would rather flip them somewhere else. Maybe Simons can get the team a first in 25.

I get some people might expect a huge haul for Towns but I think it is hard to argue that Towns is at peak value and may very well not get there with his pending jump in salary. Then again, Scoot may be that good.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Phenom wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 12:28 am I think if Portland wants to flip Scoot for Towns, it would be a great play for the Wolves. It frees up the upcoming cap constraints and aligns the cap well through the last few years of Goberts deal. It brings in another high level, on the ball guard, to pair with Ant and Jaden for the long term. It creates an opportunity to create a serious role for Naz which the team reportedly wants. It will also put the timeline squarely back on Ant, which the fans and front office (now) wants. I'll be shocked if this conversation doesn't happen considering the reports about Lillard urging the team to look for veteran help.

And if it also nets the team Simons and Nurk, I would rather flip them somewhere else. Maybe Simons can get the team a first in 25.

I get some people might expect a huge haul for Towns but I think it is hard to argue that Towns is at peak value and may very well not get there with his pending jump in salary. Then again, Scoot may be that good.
I agree that KAT’s value is not at its peak and that’s one reason why trading him this summer would be a bad idea. I still think KAT’s value is very high because front office executives aren’t fixated like some local fans on KAT’s annoying qualities. Moreover, KAT’s value will go up significantly if he simply stays healthy, in which case he’ll at least replicate the production we saw from him the previous season. And he’ll still be in his prime at age 28 next summer. If we’re going to trade him, next summer is the time to do it.

I’ll admit that I get kind of excited at the prospect of trading KAT in exchange for the opportunity to draft one of this year’s top a top three players, but other than Wemby, it’s hard to know what you’re getting in this year’s pool. As you noted, we don’t know how good Scooter will be. He doesn’t hit threes and his G-League stat weren’t all that impressive. I’d prefer Black over Scooter, but who knows.

Further, if we’re going to trade KAT this summer, Portland just isn’t a good trade partner without a third team involved because I don’t see any players on their roster who would make sense for the Wolves. So we’d probably need a third team involved.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

Just out of curiosity would you do Kat and Prince for Hayward and Lamelo.

Hayward and Prince are there for matching purposes. Hornets might consider because Scoot and Kat make more sense then Lamelo and Scoot. And Lamelo long term future with the hornets (might have similar issues with the wolves)

Not saying I would do it was just curious
WildWolf2813

Post by WildWolf2813 »

kekgeek wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 2:36 pm Just out of curiosity would you do Kat and Prince for Hayward and Lamelo.

Hayward and Prince are there for matching purposes. Hornets might consider because Scoot and Kat make more sense then Lamelo and Scoot. And Lamelo long term future with the hornets (might have similar issues with the wolves)

Not saying I would do it was just curious
Even with the knowledge that signing Ball might have its obstacles, gotta do it. You have your PG set, even on a max deal for him, it's cheaper than the super max and you're a Josh Minott developmental arc away from not having to worry about your starting lineup at all going forward.

Gobert /either a re-signed Naz or Connelly is gonna have to unearth a solid low cost signing
Anderson /Minott
McDaniels /Hayward
Edwards /NAW
Ball /Conley