KAT trade ideas

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Q-is-here

Re: KAT trade ideas

Post by Q-is-here »

WildWolf2813 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:36 am This thread might as well close. After KAT's comments, he submarined what value he had left. Nobody heard him the last couple of days and decided to up their urgency to get him. No player heard this and thought, man he'd be such a great fit here. No GM heard this and wants to risk their job status on this guy.
No NBA front office that has deep knowledge of NBA players is going to be swayed one way or another by his comments. You really think him saying some dumb, benign stuff on an offseason podcast with PatBev is going to reduce his value?? They already knew he was somewhat of a flake and have factored that into where they peg his value.
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

Sundog wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:04 am Lip said: “Honestly, he’s the third best center in the League behind Jokic and Embiid. He could be the third best big depending on how you define a “big” in the NBA.”

There was a time, maybe a couple of years ago, I was mostly on board with this… I wasn’t completely sold then, I’m less sure now. KAT has a head problem — he’s not a head case, but he gets unfocused, too easily distracted and it costs him and the Wolves — that’s not news to any of us.

Anthony Davis, if he could stay healthy, is a more complete player — he played 56 games this year, about what what KAT missed. Sabonis is an absolute gem, averaging over 7 assists per game this season. I had Rudy and KAT at #3 and #4 after Embiid and Jokic back then… if Rudy returns to Utah form (which I expect next season), he’s in that conversation. But KAT is just entering his prime so likely edges Rudy out. Adebayo is up there, maybe Jarret Allen just behind the guys I’ve named.
Agreed. And now that he plays more PF versus Center, the importance and impact of the role is watered down a bit. I now think of KAT as more of a rich man's Michael Porter Jr. or Tobias Harris rather than guys like Embiid, Jokic, Davis, Bam and Sabonis...Those guys really anchor their teams.
WildWolf2813

Post by WildWolf2813 »

Q-is-here wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:09 am
WildWolf2813 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:36 am This thread might as well close. After KAT's comments, he submarined what value he had left. Nobody heard him the last couple of days and decided to up their urgency to get him. No player heard this and thought, man he'd be such a great fit here. No GM heard this and wants to risk their job status on this guy.
No NBA front office that has deep knowledge of NBA players is going to be swayed one way or another by his comments. You really think him saying some dumb, benign stuff on an offseason podcast with PatBev is going to reduce his value?? They already knew he was somewhat of a flake and have factored that into where they peg his value.
I think his value was already low (which has been my point along) but given how he came off, if he's gonna back up his words, everyone else will just dare him to prove it where he is now, which he's failed to do. Him reminding everyone of what he's about a week before the draft would make anyone who was kinda thinking about getting him change his mind.
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

WildWolf2813 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:05 am
I think his value was already low (which has been my point along) but given how he came off, if he's gonna back up his words, everyone else will just dare him to prove it where he is now, which he's failed to do. Him reminding everyone of what he's about a week before the draft would make anyone who was kinda thinking about getting him change his mind.
We'll agree to disagree that a meaningless podcast where KAT acted like KAT will affect his trade value in the eyes of grizzled front office execs.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

Q-is-here wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:50 pm

We'll agree to disagree that a meaningless podcast where KAT acted like KAT will affect his trade value in the eyes of grizzled front office execs.
Correct, nothing Kat said affects his trade value. There has been no reports outside of Jimmy around and league of people disliking Kat the teammate. Kat value could be effected by the new CBA because can’t needs to be a top 2 guy on a team and can’t be number 3 anymore. The Bradley Beal rumored value (Herro, Lowry and a 2028 protected 1st) scares me a lot more about Kats value than what Kat said did
WildWolf2813

Post by WildWolf2813 »

kekgeek wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 1:23 pm
Q-is-here wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:50 pm
Correct, nothing Kat said affects his trade value. There has been no reports outside of Jimmy around and league of people disliking Kat the teammate. Kat value could be effected by the new CBA because can’t needs to be a top 2 guy on a team and can’t be number 3 anymore. The Bradley Beal rumored value (Herro, Lowry and a 2028 protected 1st) scares me a lot more about Kats value than what Kat said did
Kat's value is where Beal's is and has been, but that's probably where it was before he said anything. But KAT saying this now reminds everyone why they don't wanna go over the top to acquire him if they even want to.
Porckchop

Post by Porckchop »

Kats self awareness is on the same level as his court awareness. I’ve been wanting to trade him for two years now, his value is at an alltime low and the more he talks and the more he plays we will watch that value vanish into thin air.
Wolvesfan21

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

KAT's been spewing self propaganda since day 1, it's just gotten more delusional. I think many athletes are probably egomaniacal and nutty though. I don't think it effects his trade value.

I think deep in side he is actually jealous of Jokic and the Nuggets. How he downplayed them and their team, their Chip. He could be Jokic right now and he's the same basic player he was 5-6 years ago. Jokic keeps getting better. KAT just talks.

It's like being a sore loser. It's easier to downplay the loss (playoff loss to them) then accept the pain and get to work.
WildWolf2813

Post by WildWolf2813 »

Wolvesfan21 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:05 pm KAT's been spewing self propaganda since day 1, it's just gotten more delusional. I think many athletes are probably egomaniacal and nutty though. I don't think it effects his trade value.

I think deep in side he is actually jealous of Jokic and the Nuggets. How he downplayed them and their team, their Chip. He could be Jokic right now and he's the same basic player he was 5-6 years ago. Jokic keeps getting better. KAT just talks.

It's like being a sore loser. It's easier to downplay the loss (playoff loss to them) then accept the pain and get to work.
I think it affects his value because what players look at this and say, "get me KAT?" Dame Lillard wants to win and win now. Does he really look at KAT and think he's ready to do that? Jimmy Butler is proof that you can be an egomaniac and it doesn't affect your perception but that's because he backs up his words. KAT doesn't and it makes everyone on the outside very opposed to risking their prime and their career and with GM's, their jobs on him. KAT's a Jersey guy and any fan of a NY team will be furious if he's a Knick or Net.

If Ant said half the stuff KAT says only to underachieve, we'd be shopping him too. KAT has to take a major look in the mirror and realize that he won't be viewed any differently than Kelly Tripucka when it's all said and done if he keeps this up.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

WildWolf2813 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:11 pm
Wolvesfan21 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:05 pm KAT's been spewing self propaganda since day 1, it's just gotten more delusional. I think many athletes are probably egomaniacal and nutty though. I don't think it effects his trade value.

I think it affects his value because what players look at this and say, "get me KAT?" Dame Lillard wants to win and win now. Does he really look at KAT and think he's ready to do that? Jimmy Butler is proof that you can be an egomaniac and it doesn't affect your perception but that's because he backs up his words. KAT doesn't and it makes everyone on the outside very opposed to risking their prime and their career and with GM's, their jobs on him. KAT's a Jersey guy and any fan of a NY team will be furious if he's a Knick or Net.

If Ant said half the stuff KAT says only to underachieve, we'd be shopping him too. KAT has to take a major look in the mirror and realize that he won't be viewed any differently than Kelly Tripucka when it's all said and done if he keeps this up.
KAT seems to lack self-awareness and he says dumb stuff — not offensive, nasty, hateful stuff — just dumb stuff that hurts no one other than himself. I agree KAT needs to take a long look in the mirror, recognize his shortcomings and find some humility. But so much of the negative narratives about KAT are ridiculous. Jon K appropriately called out Kendrick Perkins for going too far in his reaction. But Kendrick’s comment about KAT not existing weren’t nearly as ignorant as many of the fan comments posted in response. One comment said that “all KAT can do well is shooting three-point shots.” How dumb is that?! He’s a tremendous low-post scorer and has a terrific dribble drive game. He’s a good rebounding. He’s also a good and improving passer. And while I know it doesn’t fit the popular narrative, KAT has improved his defense. Moreover, the only two times he’s had decent talent around him - two seasons ago and back when Jimmy was here — the team made the playoffs. And two seasons ago he didn’t have any all-star caliber players on the roster with him. Winning 46 games that season was mainly because of KAT.

So yes, KAT says stupid things and continues to do needlessly dumb things, including too much whining on the court. But he’s an all-star player in his prime who is a highly productive, versatile and efficient scorer even as he consistently draws double teams. Will his dumb comments diminish his trade value? I doubt it. Most NBA executives are smart enough to know that his comments are irrelevant to his value as a teammate. The tangential characteristics basketball executives worry about are drug issues, not caring (e.g., Darko), not staying in shape (Zion), and truly bad behavior (e.g. Ja Morant). We have to hope that TC is smart enough not to put KAT on the trade block in a panic over any of the stuff KAT says. While I have my concerns about TC, I’m confident he’s smart enough not to do that. I do think KAT should be traded this summer if Gobert isn’t. But my view has nothing to do with KAT’s awkward and silly comments. It’s a function of the impending luxury tax cliff and the fact that KAT is one of only three players on our roster (along with Ant and Jaden) who would likely bring back a huge return. Only Ant would bring back a bigger return.