Wolves Draft Thread

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Lipoli390

Wolves Draft Thread

Post by Lipoli390 »

OK. I know our only pick this year is #53. Hard to get excited about the draft when that’s all we’ve got. But we can’t just sit on the sidelines and watch, can we? Maybe we can, but I’m going to step up and start a Timberwolves draft thread for all of us to share our ideas on who the Wolves should target at #53, along with ideas on possible trades to move up and who we should target if we do.

I’m going to start by listing who I’d target at 53. Here’s my list of prospects I’d take at 53 in order of preference among those expected to be available in the late 2nd round:

1. Jazian Gortman — He’s an Overtime Elite player so was playing against professionals at 20 years old. He’s the one guy expected to be available in the late second round who excites me. He’s a super quick and athletic player with a great handle. He’s also a PG, which is a position of need for the Wolves even if TC prefers to dismiss the notion of positional need. If you haven’t watched video of Jazian, you should. He has the potential to be a dynamic NBA PG. He has terrific size for the position with a 6’10 wing span. His shooting needs work, but his 45.3% FG shooting are 33% 3-point shooting are respectable, especially wen you consider his nearly 81% free-throw shooting. He averaged 4.8 rebounds and an impressive 2.5 steals per game. I’m surprised that he’s so low in all the mock drafts. I’ve never seen him mocked higher than 53 and some mocks don’t even have him being drafted. Given his obvious talent and stats it makes me wonder whether there’s a character issue we’re not aware of. But based on what I know and what I’ve seen, I’d grab him at 53 and not look back.

2. Isaiah Wong — Wong is a 22 year old college senior, so his upside might not be a great as some other like Gortman. But he’s good PG prospect in my view. I like his quickness and handle. He has a decent 6’6.75 wingspan for a PG and a very nice vertical (32.5 no-step, 37 max). He put up nice numbers his last season with 16.2 points, 4.3 rebounds, 3.2 assists and 1.4 steals. His shooting numbers were particularly impressive - 44.5% from the field and 38.4 from behind the arc on 4.3 attempts per game. He also go to the line a pretty impressive 5 times per game and hit 84.5% of his foul shots. Interestingly, he has a broad mock draft range from 38 to 50. So I suspect he won’t be available at #53. But if he falls into the late 40s, then it shouldn’t be too hard to trade up with some cash and possibly a future 2nd.

3. Ricky Council IV — I’m not crazy about him, but at 53 beggars can’t be choosers. He’s physically gifted, but so far his gifts haven’t translated into impressive production at the college level. As a Junior he averaged 16 points, 3.6 rebounds, 2.3 assists and 1.1 steals. He hit 43.3% of his field goals and only 27% of his threes. His one impressive stat is his 6.1 trips to the line where he shot 79.4%. If Gortman and Wong are off the board, Ricky would be my third choice.

4. Julian Phillips — He’s a physically gifted college freshman. His numbers weren’t impressive but he has great length and athleticism as a wing. He has a 6’11.5 wingspan and a tremendous vertical of 36” standing and 43” max. He didn’t shoot well from the field, but he hit 82% of his free throws. He’s reputed to have a lot of dog in him.

If we can’t get one of these guys or a prospect like Sasser who unexpectedly falls, then I’d be inclined to trade pick 53 for a future 2nd and just look for good undrafted free agents.
Lipoli390

Re: Wolves Draft Thread

Post by Lipoli390 »

I’ll continue with trade-up or trade-in scenarios. I break trade-up or trade-in possibilities into five categories: (1) trading up or in for pick 2 or 3 to get Scoot; (2) trading up or into the top half of the 1st round somewhere picks 4-14; (3) trading up or into the bottom half of the 1st round - probably into the 20s; (4) trading up or into the top half of the 2nd round; and (5) trading up higher into the bottom half of the 2nd round. Each of these five scenarios would obviously involve different draft targets and different trade assets. Here’s how I see each scenario for the Wolves:

1. Trading up to #2 or 3 for Scoot. This deal is by definition predicated on getting Scoot. It also would mean trading KAT. I think we could put together a KAT package for either the #2 or #3 pick. But it would appear that TC isn’t interested, so I’m not holding my breath.

2. Trading up or into the top half of the 1st round below #3. This would make sense if targeting a special talent who grades out as equivalent or close to Scoot and Miller. I recall that the Wolves worked out Black a few weeks ago. I thought it was interesting because he appears to be the only top 10 prospect the Wolves worked out. I’m impressed and intrigued by Black’s potential. It looks like he won’t last past 10 and might not get behind 6 or 7. Again, I think trading up this far would require the Wolves to include KAT. The good news for the Wolves is that the return package for the Wolves would include more additional assets than if the Wolves were getting the #2 or 3 pick. But again, trading KAT seems highly unlikely.

3. Trading up or into the bottom half of the 1st round (pick in the 20s) — This is where a potential trade into the 1st round starts to become realistic. Trading Gobert could easily get up a pick in the 20s, but again, trading Rudy seems as unlikely as trading KAT based on what we’ve heard from Conley. Nevertheless, I think the Wolves could put together a package centered around Prince that would get the Wolves a pick in the 20s. If I were in TC’s shoes, this is the scenario that I’d explore most aggressively. My goal would be getting a pick that would land Bandin Podziemski. I think he’s going to become an allstar caliber player. Not surprisingly, he’s been skyrocking up draft boards. After starting out as a mid-first rounder in most mocks, he’s not appearing routinely in the 15-25 range. I could envision a trade with Houston for the #20 pick, which should be good enough to get Brandin. Houston is well below the cap, so salary match wouldn’t be an issue. Houston has way too many young players and it’s been widely reported that the Rockets front office wants to take a big step forward and become more competitive next season. They can use their #4 pick to get another elite prospect and then use their #20 pick to add a quality rotation veteran. Offering Rudy would get the deal done. I think offering Kyle Anderson would too. The question is whether the Wolves could make it happen with a package centered around Prince. I’d offer Prince, #53, the rights to Spagnolo and a future 2nd round pick. If I knew I’d get Brandin, I’d also be willing to include Wendell Moore.

4. Trading up to the top half of the 2nd round (30s or low 40s) — This is probably the most realistic and likely scenario among the trade-up/in possibilities. Prince and #53 should move the Wolves well up into the 2nd round. This is a move you make if you really want a guy like Sasser or Amari Bailey - two guys I really like.

5. Trading up a few a slots in the 2nd round — This is a move you make if your close to getting the guy you want (maybe Gortman or Wong) but you’re afraid he won’t drop quite far enough. The Wolves would probably make this happen by offering 53 plus cash and, depending on how high, maybe offering a future 2nd-round pick swap.

There you have it. Those are my general thoughts on potential draft day or pre-draft moves the Wolves could make. I’ll follow up later with some specific trade suggestions.
Carlos Danger

Post by Carlos Danger »

I just glanced over a mock draft. Two guys who caught my eye:

Sidy Cissoko. 19 years old. 6-8". Projected at pick #42 per Sporting News mock.
"Sidy is a big, sturdy 6-7 player who can play on or off the ball and has really nice passing instincts for a big-bodied wing. He has a very solid frame and natural strength plus a solid 6-9+ wingspan. Has big ability and upside on the defensive end and is able to guard 1-3, possibly even guarding the 4."
https://nbadraftroom.com/sidy-cissoko/# ... 20wingspan.

Amari Bailey. 19 years old. 6-5". Projected at pick #39 per Sporting News mock.
"Bailey is an athletic combo guard with high level physical tools. He already has the size, body and athleticism of an older player. Though he is relatively lean, he has some wiry strength and could easily pass for somebody who has been on a college campus for at least a year."
https://247sports.com/player/amari-bailey-46078935/

I doubt either guy will be there by the time we roll in at pick #53 - but you never know. Anyway - my hope is they look for guys who have size and are willing to play defense. Because drafting that late, I don't want some chucker that slides down the board.
Carlos Danger

Post by Carlos Danger »

Julian Phillips also caught my eye. He's projected at #39 per NBA.com. Lip mentions him in his OP. But here's a link:
https://nbadraftroom.com/julian-phillips/

Again - I'm approaching this pick from a standpoint of prioritizing the following traits:

1.) Young guy (I don't like drafting older guys because I feel there is less upside)
2.) Good size for their position
3.) Willing defenders (I'm sick of all the one way chuckers)

I have no idea if TC has similar priorities. These opinions are strictly my own!
Carlos Danger

Post by Carlos Danger »

One more guy I like:

Mouhamed Gueye (projected at #45 per NBA.com)
POSITION: PF FROM: Washington State
(Senegal) HT: 6-11 WT: 195
A quick, fluid and immensely talented PF who is raw but has big upside. Has a smooth release on his shot and is developing into a multi-dimensional scorer.
https://nbadraftroom.com/mouhamed-gueye/

Sounds like a young Gorgui Dieng!
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

Here's a guy that did a run down on 10 sleepers. If you are looking for potential picks at #53, there are a few listed here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD3Pj6vS3dI
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

I'm confident I will be happy with whoever the Wolves pick at #53. But a guy that has caught my eye is Craig Porter Jr -- a do-shit guy at the PG spot.
Monster

Post by Monster »

I’m pretty much going into this draft blind. Unless I watched the guy in the tourney I don’t really know anything. Might be fun that way idk. Lol
WildWolf2813

Post by WildWolf2813 »

If I had a top 10 for #53, I'd say

1. Jalen Pickett, G, Penn State
2. Justin Powell, G, Washington State
3. Oscar Tshiebwe, C, Kentucy
4. Jake Stephens, C, Chattanooga
5. Mike Miles, Jr., G, TCU
6.Julian Phillips, F, Tennessee
7. Jaylen Clark, G, UCLA
8. Nikola Durisic, F, Serbia
9. Mouhamed Gueye, F, Washington State
10. Emoni Bates, F, Eastern Michigan
Carlos Danger

Post by Carlos Danger »

So...is this supposed to be a deep draft? Because the last couple days I'm reading through the day 2 profiles on mock drafts and there seems to be a lot of good or at least interesting players that I wouldn't mind drafting. Even at pick #53 and beyond. After reading some mocks, I'm actually starting to get excited for this draft.