Wolves Draft Thread

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
60WinTim

Re: Wolves Draft Thread

Post by 60WinTim »

Carlos Danger wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:30 am So...is this supposed to be a deep draft? Because the last couple days I'm reading through the day 2 profiles on mock drafts and there seems to be a lot of good or at least interesting players that I wouldn't mind drafting. Even at pick #53 and beyond. After reading some mocks, I'm actually starting to get excited for this draft.
Yes, I don't recall finding as many "intriguing" 2nd round prospects as I have seen this year. TC did say this draft is deeper because of the lost COVID season that had a number of players staying in college an extra year. Which is probably one of the reasons next year's draft is considered weaker.

So in addition to our #53 pick, a number of undrafted FAs could be "intriguing" as well.
Carlos Danger

Post by Carlos Danger »

60WinTim wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:43 am
Carlos Danger wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:30 am So...is this supposed to be a deep draft? Because the last couple days I'm reading through the day 2 profiles on mock drafts and there seems to be a lot of good or at least interesting players that I wouldn't mind drafting. Even at pick #53 and beyond. After reading some mocks, I'm actually starting to get excited for this draft.
Yes, I don't recall finding as many "intriguing" 2nd round prospects as I have seen this year. TC did say this draft is deeper because of the lost COVID season that had a number of players staying in college an extra year. Which is probably one of the reasons next year's draft is considered weaker.

So in addition to our #53 pick, a number of undrafted FAs could be "intriguing" as well.
That makes sense. I see Denver traded next year's first round pick and a second round this year for #29 and #32. The rich get richer. Why didn't we do that?
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Carlos Danger wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:40 am
60WinTim wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:43 am

That makes sense. I see Denver traded next year's first round pick and a second round this year for #29 and #32. The rich get richer. Why didn't we do that?
We didn’t do that because of the Gobert deal, which precludes trading any of our three remaining future first round picks. It’s true that the rich get richer. There’s a reason for that. It’s because the rich are typically smarter, which means among other things they don’t make dumb deals like the one TC made last summer. Boston is a true championship contender, yet they have all but one of their future first round picks and they just picked up two additional first round picks - one this year and one next year. They lost Smart, but that picked up Porzingis and still have White, Brogdon and Prichard as PGs. They picked up Porzingis but still have Robert Williams and Horford. The Grizzlies won over 50 games the last two seasons with a young roster. They just acquired Marcus Smart while giving up only one rotation bench player (Tyus) and only one of their own first round picks (#25 this year). They had an extra 1st-round pick from GS that they included with this year’s #25 pick for Marcus. They still have all their future 1st-round picks. The Wolves won 42 games last season and have only three of their four future 1st round picks the rest of this decade with very little to trade for value outside their core starting 4 of KAT, Ant, Jaden and Rudy.

Imagine if the Wolves hadn’t made the Gobert deal last summer. We’d have the 16th pick or better in this year’s draft along with all our future 1st-round picks and multiple second round picks and Kessler. We wouldn’t have any concerns related to the new CBA. In other words, we’d have tremendous flexibility for a top office executive who is supposed to be really good at spotting talent. Bad management makes you poor and the poor tend to get poorer. Fortunately for Connelly, he inherited Ant, Jaden, Naz and KAT. It’s now up to Connelly to be smarter and not squander the gifts he inherited. If he makes smart decisions going forward (e.g., trading DLO, signing Slo Mo, drafting Minott), the Wolves organization can land on its feet.
Last edited by Lipoli390 on Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

The Los Angeles Lakers are acquiring the 40th pick from the Indiana Pacers for No. 47 and cash, sources tell ESPN.

This trade makes it clear that the Wolves should be able to trade well up into the 2nd round to get Amari Bailey or Marcus Sasser. My strong preference would be Bailey. If #47 and cash can get the Lakers up to #40, the Wolves should be able to get into the late 30s in exchange for #53, cash and a future 2nd (maybe throw in the rights to Spagnolo).

If it were me, I’d focus on a trade centered around Taurean Prince for Houston’s #20 pick to get Brandin Podziemski. Something like the following package for #20:

- Prince
-JMac
- Wendell Moore

Houston has the #4 pick, which they’ll probably keep. They have a ton of very young players and it’s been widely reported they want to be more competitive next season. They can get an elite prospect for the future at #4. They won’t need and probably won’t want to keep #20. The only question is whether a package like the one I suggested would be more attractive to Houston than any other offers they get.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

It’s been reported that the Wolves are discussing a trade with the Wizards that would include Prince and JMac in exchange for Tyus Jones. I really like Tyus, but there are two problems with that deal. First, it would add a net $4.3 million to our payroll, which would reduce the margin for re-signing Naz without exceeding the luxury tax threshold next season. Second, Tyus has only one year left on his deal, which means he could walk in a year and re-signing him would make it even more difficult to keep both bigs and Naz while staying under the second apron. It’s likely Tyus will close more than Prince to re-sign next summer. The Wolves payroll margin is simply too thin for the Tyus deal. Better to trade up and draft a young PG prospect who would be locked up for several years at low cost to learn under Conley.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

The Knicks are backing out of talked to acquire Paul George because of his injury history and cost. It’s clear the Knicks want to acquire an elite player this summer. In my view, the Wolves have to explore possible deals with the Knicks for KAT or Rudy.
Carlos Danger

Post by Carlos Danger »

Lipoli390 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:18 pm It’s been reported that the Wolves are discussing a trade with the Wizards that would include Prince and JMac in exchange for Tyus Jones. I really like Tyus, but there are two problems with that deal. First, it would add a net $4.3 million to our payroll, which would reduce the margin for re-signing Naz without exceeding the luxury tax threshold next season. Second, Tyus has only one year left on his deal, which means he could walk in a year and re-signing him would make it even more difficult to keep both bigs and Naz while staying under the second apron. It’s likely Tyus will close more than Prince to re-sign next summer. The Wolves payroll margin is simply too thin for the Tyus deal. Better to trade up and draft a young PG prospect who would be locked up for several years at low cost to learn under Conley.
I would LOVE a trade for Tyus assuming it's fair value (not Rudy like). We must address PG. I'd feel much better going into next year with Tyus/Conley and maybe a young PG as #3. But if we intend to compete (and that seems to be the plan), then you can't depend on a young PG much (especially where we are picking this draft).

As far as making room for him on the payroll, there are obviously going to be several pins to drop between now and finalization of the roster. You mention re-signing Naz. But we don't know if that's the real plan or if they simply want to sign/trade Naz. I know they've publicly stated they want to re-sign him. But they'd be foolish to say anything else.

I sort of wanted to take a nap until about 9 when I think the Wolves will be drafting. But I'm starting to feel a little buzz in the air that maybe there will be some excitement early. We shall see!
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

The Wolves have surely budgeted $s for a backup PG. So the extra 4.3 mil for Tyus is nothing...

And they will deal with the financial repercussions next offseason when they can decided you to keep and you should go.
FNG

Post by FNG »

Carlos Danger wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:49 pm
Lipoli390 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:18 pm It’s been reported that the Wolves are discussing a trade with the Wizards that would include Prince and JMac in exchange for Tyus Jones. I really like Tyus, but there are two problems with that deal. First, it would add a net $4.3 million to our payroll, which would reduce the margin for re-signing Naz without exceeding the luxury tax threshold next season. Second, Tyus has only one year left on his deal, which means he could walk in a year and re-signing him would make it even more difficult to keep both bigs and Naz while staying under the second apron. It’s likely Tyus will close more than Prince to re-sign next summer. The Wolves payroll margin is simply too thin for the Tyus deal. Better to trade up and draft a young PG prospect who would be locked up for several years at low cost to learn under Conley.
I would LOVE a trade for Tyus assuming it's fair value (not Rudy like). We must address PG. I'd feel much better going into next year with Tyus/Conley and maybe a young PG as #3. But if we intend to compete (and that seems to be the plan), then you can't depend on a young PG much (especially where we are picking this draft).

As far as making room for him on the payroll, there are obviously going to be several pins to drop between now and finalization of the roster. You mention re-signing Naz. But we don't know if that's the real plan or if they simply want to sign/trade Naz. I know they've publicly stated they want to re-sign him. But they'd be foolish to say anything else.

I sort of wanted to take a nap until about 9 when I think the Wolves will be drafting. But I'm starting to feel a little buzz in the air that maybe there will be some excitement early. We shall see!
I'm in a different place from you and Lip, Carlos. First of all, I may be the only one here who hasn't written off JMac as a suitable backup PG. I think we are focusing t0o much on how ineffective he was late last season after returning from his injury, and ignoring his effectiveness prior to that. I would have no problem starting out next season with JMac backing up Conley. That said, I'm a big fan of Tyus, and I would jump on a Prince/JMac for Tyus deal. I'm not concerned about not signing Naz. and as I've said in other threads, think it actually might be addition by subtraction. I also think Tyus would really embrace this deal. He and his wife both have a lot of family in the western suburbs they are very close to, and I'm sure he would relish the chance to succeed Conley as starter in a couple years.

Lip, where did you here reports of this potential deal, and do you think they are credible? I can't find anything.
Monster

Post by Monster »

60WinTim wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:06 pm The Wolves have surely budgeted $s for a backup PG. So the extra 4.3 mil for Tyus is nothing...

And they will deal with the financial repercussions next offseason when they can decided you to keep and you should go.
I agree Tim. The Wolves biggest need on the roster currently is guard play. Getting Tyus for Prince would be a terrific move. It would also open up a roster spot to add a wing or combo forward to fill in with Prince being dealt.

Lip you seem so scared of the luxury tax you aren’t willing to make what is basically a no brainer move. Adding Tyus doesn’t mean they can’t add some other young player at PG. To some extent it would actually pave the way for the Wolves to do just that. It removes McLaughlin from the roster and shores up the PG position so they can take a swing at a young guy to fill out the roster and the PG depth spot. Honestly I just don’t see a young PG with enough experience to be a backup PG in FA that’s cheap that I feel like has much of a reasonable chance of being a future starter. Plus regardless of his salary demands beyond this season there is some chance Tyus who turned 27 a few weeks ago is the guy they need at the position long term. Why not just go get him? Would Tyus cost more money than Prince? Yeah of course. Quite frankly he is a better player and that’s what we should want. Maybe Tyus gives the Wolves a bit of a hometown discount after this season. If he walks for nothing it’s not like the Wolves lost out on anything. Idk how long Prince was gonna be around for past this season anyway. I might value Prince about as much as anyone but that’s also why I’ve been interested in dealing him if the Wolves can get value for him. Basically turning him into Tyus Jones?! Yeah pull the trigger and figure the rest out later.

Why would the Wizards do this? Prince has value and is a smaller contract so he would be easier to move. They also save money this season. If Kuzma doesn’t resign are they already under the cap? How far can they get and then be able to absorb salaries and get paid in assets for doing so? If McLaughlin stayed healthy and returned to being a worthwhile depth backup he could be a guy some team trades a random 2nd round pick for. Or the Wizards have a Pg in McLaughlin that any young players they have will like to play with and he can help them along while not being too good to help too much and keep them being bad in terms of wins and loses. Lol

If the Wolves could pull this off it would be shades of the Rosas move for Pat Beverly. I’ll admit I’m actually getting my hopes up a bit that getting Tyus might happen.