KAT trade ideas

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
kekgeek

Re: KAT trade ideas

Post by kekgeek »

I really confused why you guys are saying that Kat and Gobert didn’t work defensively. They were one of the best 2 man defensive combos in the NBA. For defense they were in the 98th percentile for defensive rating, 95th percentile on defense eFG%, 97th percentile in FT rate and above average 67th percentile in rebounding.

That combo was an elite defensive combo last year! The issue was they were terrible and I mean terrible offensive combo they were in the 7th percentile
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

kekgeek wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:19 am I really confused why you guys are saying that Kat and Gobert didn’t work defensively. They were one of the best 2 man defensive combos in the NBA. For defense they were in the 98th percentile for defensive rating, 95th percentile on defense eFG%, 97th percentile in FT rate and above average 67th percentile in rebounding.

That combo was an elite defensive combo last year! The issue was they were terrible and I mean terrible offensive combo they were in the 7th percentile
Thanks for the post, Kek. I still have a hard time seeing the combo work defensively over the long haul. But the numbers don’t lie so for now I stand corrected. :) The numbers actually align with my impressions from watching the Wolves last season. It was painful to watch the team on the offensive end, but I’ll admit they looked good defensively most of the time Rudy was in there with or without KAT. Abe’s point was aimed at the offensive end - i.e., how Rudy’s presence takes away what makes KAT elite offensively. I completely agree with him on that point and his point is supported by the data as you’ve clarified. How well the combo works defensively won’t matter if it doesn’t work on the other end too. I just don’t see this two-big combo working well long term with Ant and Jaden. Add the luxury tax cliff under the new CBA and I remain convinced that one of our two bigs has to go before the 2024-25 season.

By the way, I truly appreciate your posts and the data-driven perspective they provide.
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

The offensive ineptitude just seems so odd. Both these guys have been on top 10 offenses multiple times in their careers and KAT can score from almost anywhere on the floor. This comes down to coaching. Assuming we run it back, there is absolutely no reason why they should struggle so much.

I'm willing to give Finch more runway on this given the limited time together last year, but it shouldn't be that difficult. One guy is an elite rim roller (albeit with shaky hands) and the other is an elite shooter. And we haven't even talked about Ant! Just inexcusable how poorly we did on offense last year.
FNG

Post by FNG »

kekgeek wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:19 am I really confused why you guys are saying that Kat and Gobert didn’t work defensively. They were one of the best 2 man defensive combos in the NBA. For defense they were in the 98th percentile for defensive rating, 95th percentile on defense eFG%, 97th percentile in FT rate and above average 67th percentile in rebounding.

My mistake, kek...I was looking at playoff lineups on nba.com, not total season lineups. But yeah, their defensive rating for the season was a very good 105.6. And when you add either Ant or Jaden to the pair, the rating gets even better. And finally, next year's expected starting lineup that looked so good at the end of the season was elite on defense with a DRtg of 100.

The news that most of the Wolves are working out together this summer is very heartening...I expect the familiarity to lead to a quantum leap in offensive effectiveness next season.
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

The NAZ signing has me rethinking that the Wolves are going to be forced to do something before the 2024-25 season. And I can't help coming back to KAT -- he's the one with the ballooning salary. He can't be traded until July 7th. But once he can be traded, could we see the Portland scenario come to life?!?

I believe Scoot's salary is close to 10 mil. So Scoot, Nurkic and a filler or two for KAT would work. Portland keeps Simons and re-signs Grant, plus adds a few FAs. They run it back one more time to see if the Lillard-KAT tandem can do something.

It does not seem farfetched to me. It makes our 2024 second apron manageable, and gives us our Conley heir apparent. Maybe that was one more reason TC went after Miller, Scoot's teammate!

Sorry for rekindling Cool's dream! :D
KG4Ever

Post by KG4Ever »

60WinTim wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 5:29 pm The NAZ signing has me rethinking that the Wolves are going to be forced to do something before the 2024-25 season. And I can't help coming back to KAT -- he's the one with the ballooning salary. He can't be traded until July 7th. But once he can be traded, could we see the Portland scenario come to life?!?

I believe Scoot's salary is close to 10 mil. So Scoot, Nurkic and a filler or two for KAT would work. Portland keeps Simons and re-signs Grant, plus adds a few FAs. They run it back one more time to see if the Lillard-KAT tandem can do something.

It does not seem farfetched to me. It makes our 2024 second apron manageable, and gives us our Conley heir apparent. Maybe that was one more reason TC went after Miller, Scoot's teammate!

I'm on the fence on trading KAT for Scoot. One problem for me is Gobert. I don't see Scoot and Gobert on the same time line for a potential run as point guards take time to become really good. If we could line up trades for both, I'd be more inclined to do the deal. It really hurts that Walker Kessler would be perfect. Had TC not done the trade we could be looking at Kessler, Anderson/Miller/Minott, Jaden, Ant and Scoot, plus have our first and three more firsts back. If we trade KAT, I'd want both Scoot and Kris Murray and maybe a trade to Atlanta in which we give them Gobert and get Okongwu back.
KiwiMatt

Post by KiwiMatt »

60WinTim wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 5:29 pm The NAZ signing has me rethinking that the Wolves are going to be forced to do something before the 2024-25 season. And I can't help coming back to KAT -- he's the one with the ballooning salary. He can't be traded until July 7th. But once he can be traded, could we see the Portland scenario come to life?!?

I would want more than that out of Portland for KAT and would also avoid taking on Nurkic's contract if possible. I would do it if we got Shaedon Sharpe in return.

[*]KAT for Scoot, Simons and 1st RP (2025 top 10 protection)

[*]KAT for Scoot, Nurkic, Sharp and two 2nd RPs (2024 & 2028)

I think Portland would be more inclined to do first trade, as they hold Sharpe in high regard.

MIN
Conley / Scoot / McLaughlin
Edwards / Simons / Moore Jr
McDaniels / NAW / Minott
Anderson / Prince / Miller
Gobert / Reid / Knight

2way: Garza and Clark
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

More fantastic quotes from Kat. In an interview with GQ

"I'm saving this finger for a championship,” says Towns, pointing to his left ring finger. “I’ve won at every level, except college, unfortunately"
FNG

Post by FNG »

kekgeek wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:36 am More fantastic quotes from Kat. In an interview with GQ

"I'm saving this finger for a championship,” says Towns, pointing to his left ring finger. “I’ve won at every level, except college, unfortunately"
Just a bizarre statement. He should have said:

"I've won at every level except the pros, college, and FIBA".

Or he could have been more succinct and just said "My high school team won the state championship".
Crazysauce

Post by Crazysauce »

I hear the cavs are open to potential Darius Garland trades. Maybe we could get involved in a 3 way deal to deal Towns for Garland essentially. Maybe Towns to NY. Kind of suprised that Cleveland would be open to move him.