Training Camp

One Stop Spot For All Vikings Related News
60WinTim

Training Camp

Post by 60WinTim »

Should I be excited?

I am absolutely intrigued with Flores and what the defense might do. It's not a high bar to be better than last year.

And are we really going to miss Dalvin?
60WinTim

Re: Training Camp

Post by 60WinTim »

Hunter back, so that would seem to help...
TAFKASP

Post by TAFKASP »

No, don't fall for it, it only leads to disappointment!
Monster

Post by Monster »

I’m excited but I don’t have some sort of high expectations. Flores I think is a reason to be excited. Like it’s already been said the bar is pretty low for the defense. I’m curious to see if Cousins can be better the 2nd year in the same system with the same OC and play caller in many years.

Dalvin is a good player but I think the way the Vikings may miss him is if the guys behind Mattison aren’t up to the task. I think it was on twitter there was an NFL analyst that said Mattison was actually better in the pass game than Cook. I can buy that actually.

Has anyone else watched Quarterback on Netflix? I think I’m in the 2nd episode.
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

Monster wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 5:06 pm I’m excited but I don’t have some sort of high expectations. Flores I think is a reason to be excited. Like it’s already been said the bar is pretty low for the defense. I’m curious to see if Cousins can be better the 2nd year in the same system with the same OC and play caller in many years.

Dalvin is a good player but I think the way the Vikings may miss him is if the guys behind Mattison aren’t up to the task. I think it was on twitter there was an NFL analyst that said Mattison was actually better in the pass game than Cook. I can buy that actually.

I haven't watched Quarterback, yet. Does it seem worthwhile watching? And do you mean you are watching the 2nd episode? Or taking snaps in the 2nd episode (or in the stand)?

We might miss Cook, but I can tell you I had a lot of frustration watching so many unproductive runs last year. Was it on the offensive line? Or was Dalvin just not his younger self? And he seemed to have a bunch of nagging injuries in recent years.

We just signed a RB. I think I saw we had a RB go down last week?

I wish I had the same enthusiasm to follow the Vikings as I do the Wolves. But alas, my Viking fandom falls more on the casual side...
Monster

Post by Monster »

60WinTim wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:53 am
Monster wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 5:06 pm I’m excited but I don’t have some sort of high expectations. Flores I think is a reason to be excited. Like it’s already been said the bar is pretty low for the defense. I’m curious to see if Cousins can be better the 2nd year in the same system with the same OC and play caller in many years.

I haven't watched Quarterback, yet. Does it seem worthwhile watching? And do you mean you are watching the 2nd episode? Or taking snaps in the 2nd episode (or in the stand)?

We might miss Cook, but I can tell you I had a lot of frustration watching so many unproductive runs last year. Was it on the offensive line? Or was Dalvin just not his younger self? And he seemed to have a bunch of nagging injuries in recent years.

We just signed a RB. I think I saw we had a RB go down last week?

I wish I had the same enthusiasm to follow the Vikings as I do the Wolves. But alas, my Viking fandom falls more on the casual side...
If you have any interest in seeing what NFL QBs go through on a day to day basis it’s interesting. I’m just watching I’m not in it at all but I did make it sound that way! Oops. Lol

In the past lots of people had advocated trading Cook for assets and rolling with Mattison. I wasn’t totally against that but thought Cook was a clear level above Mattison. Last year Cook didn’t seem like a level above Mattison. Is he faster? Sure but it also seemed like Cook made a number of poor reads at times which made him look rather average to me. Meanwhile I thought Mattison often got the absolute maximum out of nearly all his runs. People point to his lower yards per carry but I think they also used him on a much higher percentage of short yardage runs than Cook so that could be a consideration. I was somewhat advocating moving on from Cook last season so…here we are and they were able to resign Mattison to a very reasonable deal which is what I was hoping for if they moved on from Cook.

To me the thing about being a Vikings fan is…it’s always interesting and I get people want a championship but they almost never just completely suck. I probably wouldn’t follow them quite as closely but I have a longtime friend that is a Vikings fan and we have fun talking about the team.
FNG

Post by FNG »

I'm getting quite optimistic about our offense this season. The reports about Jordan Addison are that he has true superstar potential...not sure how defenses are going to stop our passing game if Kurt is given any time at all. Mattison isn't a breakaway threat like Cook was, but he's also not going to put us in as many second and 12s as Cook did. The defense is a wildcard...I think it depends on what Flores and the young secondary can provide. Let's get this season started!