Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Monster

Re: Jaylen Clark

Post by Monster »

Q-is-here wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:44 am
Monster wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 3:12 am Ucla vs Arizona

https://youtu.be/bVu_reJlQ1k

Watched this game I’ll give more thoughts after I sleep on it. Lol
Love it Monster! Putting in the work for the midwest volleyball forum members.
Ok first of all if you like bad offense and good defense and little scoring this game is for you!!!

Clark started off hot getting 9 points in the first 10 minutes of the game. He hit a 3 during that stretch but the rest was more effort plays offensive rebounds etc. it went poorly after that. He missed the rest of his 3’s couldn’t buy a basket at the rim or with his floater shot etc. he wasn’t alone.

I didn’t watch his defense as closely but he pulled down 10 rebounds including 6 offensive. He was also in on tipping numerous other balls and fighting for rebounds with bigger players. He had 3 steals including one late in the game that could have been a play to spark a whacky comeback but UCLA couldn’t score enough.

On offense Clark has a smooth handle when not driving. If you need him to bring up the ball and be around the perimeter he can do likely that without worry. That’s not insignificant. I think when he drives it’s a little loose and he puts his head down a bit. He has a post game and when he gets to his spot whether driving or post up he tends to go into people. This is mostly a good thing he is doing it purposely t draw contact and fouls. He will likely be able to draw some fouls similar to Okogie as he has some actual craft there. Clark took 308 shots last year. He went to the FT line 96 times. That’s kinda impressive. If you are worried about him being able to score…that’s something to consider because around a fifth of his points were at the FT line. That would have been more if he was a better FT shooter.

One thing Dane Moore and Brit Robison talked about was Clark’s floater because Britt talked about Bruce Bowen having that in his game and how that’s one way some guys can offset some of their other flaws as a scorer. Dane said he thought from what he saw Clark actually did have that. I tend to agree. In 2 games he used it a number of times in the paint either on drives or off sort of post ups. In this game they didn’t go down but it looked good and he looked very comfortable shooting that shot. I don’t have synergy numbers on what he shot on floaters so maybe they are bad but from what I saw it isn’t like something he would have to completely add to his game which is good.

The other thing Clark does well is he gets the ball on the perimeter and he can move it quickly and those passes are smooth and snappy. Overall Clark seems to be an actual basketball player if that makes sense. Yes he had 4 turnovers in this game. One was on a drive where he ended up having to split 2 Gus on a drive and the others were probably more about the poor play of the entire UCLA team which was often out of sync which at that point of the season was excellent at taking care of the ball. I don’t have any visions of Clark being a PG or even a combo guard but I could see him maybe being a guy with the passing playmaking of say Taurean Prince. He certainly looks like a guy that can play in an offense that wants to move the ball around and quickly. If Clark’s D is really good there are some tools that can be useful as an offensive player so when he comes into the game he isn’t a total liability there.

I’m probably done watching games on Clark. To me his D looks pretty legit and he looks like a guy that can actually be an asset in the rebounding dept which is an issue for the Wolves. If he somehow can make 3’s at even around 33% he could be pretty valuable if the D is really good. Players like that can be really valuable. He seems like a good kid willing to do anything to win. If seen worst late 2nd round picks. Hopefully he does better than the last UCLA guard with Injury issues the Wolves picked Malcolm Lee.
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

Monster wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:50 am
Monster wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 3:12 am Ucla vs Arizona

https://youtu.be/bVu_reJlQ1k

Watched this game I’ll give more thoughts after I sleep on it. Lol
Ok first of all if you like bad offense and good defense and little scoring this game is for you!!!

Clark started off hot getting 9 points in the first 10 minutes of the game. He hit a 3 during that stretch but the rest was more effort plays offensive rebounds etc. it went poorly after that. He missed the rest of his 3’s couldn’t buy a basket at the rim or with his floater shot etc. he wasn’t alone.

I didn’t watch his defense as closely but he pulled down 10 rebounds including 6 offensive. He was also in on tipping numerous other balls and fighting for rebounds with bigger players. He had 3 steals including one late in the game that could have been a play to spark a whacky comeback but UCLA couldn’t score enough.

On offense Clark has a smooth handle when not driving. If you need him to bring up the ball and be around the perimeter he can do likely that without worry. That’s not insignificant. I think when he drives it’s a little loose and he puts his head down a bit. He has a post game and when he gets to his spot whether driving or post up he tends to go into people. This is mostly a good thing he is doing it purposely t draw contact and fouls. He will likely be able to draw some fouls similar to Okogie as he has some actual craft there. Clark took 308 shots last year. He went to the FT line 96 times. That’s kinda impressive. If you are worried about him being able to score…that’s something to consider because around a fifth of his points were at the FT line. That would have been more if he was a better FT shooter.

One thing Dane Moore and Brit Robison talked about was Clark’s floater because Britt talked about Bruce Bowen having that in his game and how that’s one way some guys can offset some of their other flaws as a scorer. Dane said he thought from what he saw Clark actually did have that. I tend to agree. In 2 games he used it a number of times in the paint either on drives or off sort of post ups. In this game they didn’t go down but it looked good and he looked very comfortable shooting that shot. I don’t have synergy numbers on what he shot on floaters so maybe they are bad but from what I saw it isn’t like something he would have to completely add to his game which is good.

The other thing Clark does well is he gets the ball on the perimeter and he can move it quickly and those passes are smooth and snappy. Overall Clark seems to be an actual basketball player if that makes sense. Yes he had 4 turnovers in this game. One was on a drive where he ended up having to split 2 Gus on a drive and the others were probably more about the poor play of the entire UCLA team which was often out of sync which at that point of the season was excellent at taking care of the ball. I don’t have any visions of Clark being a PG or even a combo guard but I could see him maybe being a guy with the passing playmaking of say Taurean Prince. He certainly looks like a guy that can play in an offense that wants to move the ball around and quickly. If Clark’s D is really good there are some tools that can be useful as an offensive player so when he comes into the game he isn’t a total liability there.

I’m probably done watching games on Clark. To me his D looks pretty legit and he looks like a guy that can actually be an asset in the rebounding dept which is an issue for the Wolves. If he somehow can make 3’s at even around 33% he could be pretty valuable if the D is really good. Players like that can be really valuable. He seems like a good kid willing to do anything to win. If seen worst late 2nd round picks. Hopefully he does better than the last UCLA guard with Injury issues the Wolves picked Malcolm Lee.
Good stuff Monster....Yup, it's all about the 3-point shot as it so often is with these elite perimeter defenders. Unfortunately our franchise doesn't have a good track record developing mediocre shooters into adequate shooters. May be he'll be the exception.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Q-is-here wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:32 pm
Monster wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:50 am

Good stuff Monster....Yup, it's all about the 3-point shot as it so often is with these elite perimeter defenders. Unfortunately our franchise doesn't have a good track record developing mediocre shooters into adequate shooters. May be he'll be the exception.
I’ll say this though if at 53 they JUST found the next Josh Okogie…I’d take that even if one year of the cheap contract was him recovering from injury.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Looks like Clark is doing a YouTube channel there is some interesting stuff in here about how things go for an NBA lifestyle like their per dime etc. he said he is most likely going to be on a 2-way and he explains a bit about how that works for players.

https://youtu.be/nN2x3GjbUM4
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

Jaylen Clark is participating in 5 on 5 scrimmages in practice. That’s a good sign
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

kekgeek wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:44 pm Jaylen Clark is participating in 5 on 5 scrimmages in practice. That’s a good sign
Yes! I won't recognize him with a uniform on. He and Daishen Nix are always the guys the camera pans to whenever they show the bench celebrating a great T-Wolves play. Unfortunately, Daishen was sent to purgatory, er, I mean Iowa, so Clark has been without his wingman!

What's scary is that Clark may be the 2nd best perimeter defender on the team. Probably won't see him play this year though.
Carlos Danger

Post by Carlos Danger »

kekgeek wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:44 pm Jaylen Clark is participating in 5 on 5 scrimmages in practice. That’s a good sign
This is great news! Thanks for posting. Do you have a source? Nothing new pops up via my Google search.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

Carlos Danger wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:38 am
This is great news! Thanks for posting. Do you have a source? Nothing new pops up via my Google search.
His Instagram stories. I don’t have Instagram but saw some Twolves fan twitters posted it
Carlos Danger

Post by Carlos Danger »

kekgeek wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:04 am
His Instagram stories. I don’t have Instagram but saw some Twolves fan twitters posted it
Hmmm. Ok - thanks for responding. You'd think that would be something they'd announce officially but I can't find anything. Anyway - hope it's true. I believe Iowa ends it's season at end of this month, so too bad he couldn't get into any games this year. But at least he'll have a full off season. I consider him essentially another 1st round draft pick for next year as we have him as a lotto ticket.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

Carlos Danger wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:15 am
kekgeek wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:04 am

Hmmm. Ok - thanks for responding. You'd think that would be something they'd announce officially but I can't find anything. Anyway - hope it's true. I believe Iowa ends it's season at end of this month, so too bad he couldn't get into any games this year. But at least he'll have a full off season. I consider him essentially another 1st round draft pick for next year as we have him as a lotto ticket.
Here is the video I saw. Him driving the lane. Now AI is good now a days but I think it’s legit

https://x.com/hoodienaz_/status/1773095 ... _u6IL2a9cQ