Nuggets at Wolves R2G3

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
60WinTim

Nuggets at Wolves R2G3

Post by 60WinTim »

Alrighty! Gettin' this one going early. We have an 8:30 tip off tonight. I imagine Target Center will be going nuts, especially with the opportunity for some pre-game drinking!

While our defense was spectacular last game, there were a few contributing factors to what became a blowout, not the least of which was the absence of Rudy Gobert. So much of Denver's adjustments would have been based on a game with Rudy. That was all thrown out the window and Denver never knew what hit them with our no-Rudy adjustments. Tonight should show what Denver had originally planned for the last game.

So I have a hard time seeing another blowout. The game will likely come down to how well/efficient ANT and KAT are playing.

Go Wolves!
WildWolf2813

Re: Nuggets at Wolves R2G3

Post by WildWolf2813 »

I'll pay attention to the fouls. Refs are gonna give Denver every opportunity to extend this series.
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

Tim, you are on a roll! What the hell are we going to do if the Wolves lose tonight? Do we shake it off and have you start the next game thread or do we need to go wake up Carlos?

As for tonight, the formula is the same as all the other playoff games so far for the Wolves. Assuming Denver comes out dialed in, we just need to keep it close in the first half then really turn the screws on in the second half defensively. On offense, limit bad shots and turnovers.

The story of the season is our defense. But the story of the playoffs is the growth and maturity we've seen on offense from Ant and KAT. That is a new development that has propelled us into a legit contender. Let's hope they both keep their head on straight tonight and continue to avoid dumb mistakes.

P.S. Dear Monte Morris, it would be nice IF YOU COULD MAKE A DAMN SHOT FOR ONCE!!!! Thank you.
TheGrey08

Post by TheGrey08 »

WildWolf2813 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:43 am I'll pay attention to the fouls. Refs are gonna give Denver every opportunity to extend this series.
That's definitely been a theme so far, especially during the Suns series. Felt like a thumb was on the scale the entire series. Some games worse than others, but man there's been a lot of nonsense no calls, bad calls, etc the first 6 games. Just hope it's somewhat even and consistent tonight.
rapsuperstar31

Post by rapsuperstar31 »

WildWolf2813 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:43 am I'll pay attention to the fouls. Refs are gonna give Denver every opportunity to extend this series.
The ref is Tony Brothers, same ref we had game 3 against Phoenix when Mike, Jaden and NAW had 5 fouls and Rudy had 2 fouls in the first few minutes. He also reffed game 1 of OKC/Dallas where SGA got 11 ft attempts in the first half. I don't think Brother is inconsistent or favoring a team, but he does call it tighter than we had in game 2. Both teams should shoot more ft tonight.
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

Our defense will overwhelm Denver if the refs allow us to play it. A tightly called game will surely get us in foul trouble and level the playing field somewhat. But we just have more than Denver does right now. I'd be shocked if we lose tonight.
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

Coolbreeze44 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 12:23 pm Our defense will overwhelm Denver if the refs allow us to play it. A tightly called game will surely get us in foul trouble and level the playing field somewhat. But we just have more than Denver does right now. I'd be shocked if we lose tonight.
I must not be as opTIMistic as you, Cool! :) It would surprise me if Denver plays a whale of a game tonight and we are not able to keep pace offensively. But I would be surprised if we don't win one of these two home games, setting up three chances at closing them out.
SameOldNudityDrew

Post by SameOldNudityDrew »

This article from Lowe is badly titled, and he mistakenly says Naz started in the last game, but his breakdown of how Towns has been big for us is really good.

https://www.espn.co.uk/nba/insider/stor ... hony-towns

I think KAT is really the key. If he plays under control on both ends, we are a much better team because he really is so talented. He gets into trouble when he gets overly aggressive and tries to make a spectacular play, often turning the ball over or drawing the charge on offense or overcommitting on defense and drawing the foul. He's so talented on offense, and so big on defense, as long as he just slows down and plays carefully on offense, and plays hard but conservatively on defense, he'll be such a huge boost for us.

No idea what to expect tonight, but regardless, if we keep playing the right way, we'll have a good chance to put this series out of reach.
  • Defend with pride, intensity, and communication.
  • Don't get cute on offense. Just make the simple play.
  • Ignore the refs. Ignore their bullshit. Ignore any deficit. Just. Stay. Locked. In. With a 2-0 lead, a lot of it is a mental game at this point. We are capable of outscoring them by 15 or more in one quarter. If we get into foul trouble or fall behind, we need to keep up intense, methodical, relentless pressure and show them we can't be rattled and won't crack, even if we end up losing. If they win, so be it. But let's make sure they feel relieved to have escaped with a win and daunted by how perfectly they'll need to play for 48 minutes at least 3 more times to win the series. We've shown we can get into their heads by stomping them. If we need to, let's get into their heads by showing them that no lead they build is completely safe and that we will never lose our cool or stop fighting. Likewise, if we build a big lead, respond in the same fucking way. Do. Not. Let. Up. Crush them without mercy or celebration until we've won the series.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Jokic goes for 56 tonight. But that doesn't necessarily mean the Timberwolves lose.

Oh, and I'm back on the DVR schedule, at least for tonight. Another AAU game... so I'll be going with the super loud talking while looking at my feet to avoid spoilers thing again when passing by that area.

[Note: Drew... might need to copy and paste the Zach Lowe article. I'm guessing quite a few of us do not have ESPN Insider.]
FNG

Post by FNG »

Really looking forward to this one tonight...curious about whether the Wolves can bring the same kind of defensive intensity they did in Game 2.

I think this is a huge game for the legacies of both Joker and Rudy. Joker is getting ripped on some Denver podcasts I have listened to for playing passively...the theme is a team will follow their leader, and Joker's passivity carried over to his teammates. He's a first ballot hall of famer for sure, but another couple games like Game 2 would be damaging to his reputation I think. As for Rudy, he just won the DPOY award. And yet ironically his team played their best defensive game of the season (and some say it rivaled the best defensive game ever) on a night he wasn't there. A poor defensive effort by the Wolves tonight would not reflect well on Rudy.

For the above reasons, I expect very good games from both centers tonight. This should be a good one.