Nuggets at Wolves R2G3

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Q-is-here

Re: Nuggets at Wolves R2G3

Post by Q-is-here »

TheGrey08 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:44 pm Such a disappointing game. Some will say they just played like shit, but I think the biggest thing was ice cold shooting. Numerous higher percentage shots that just rimmed out along with laying bricks from 3. I'm not even factoring the 4th quarter as the game was pretty much over.

Beyond that there were more tough calls from this crew that had the super quick whistle in game 2 or 3 (I forget which) of the Suns series. Having that happen during a cold shooting stretch certainly didn't help. KG eluded to the refs possibly clamping down in game 3 and they absolutely did. Others pointed out it would be that crew from PHX and thus expected a some weak calls. Joker shoving and throwing himself into Rudy with a knocked backward Rudy getting the foul called on him was the officiating in a nutshell.

I'm not saying the refs cost them the game (bad shooting was by far #1) but ffs it just ruins the product. Inconsistent officiating, win or lose is maddening. How can a guy get away with full extending and shoving a defender with their off arm while on the other end a defender gets called for bodying up while moving his feet lol. Just wish we could get some consistency across the damn board.
I'm with you Grey. This was a "shooting luck" game, with Denver making a bunch of shots, some of which were very well contested and Minnesota missing a bunch of open shots (JMac, NAW, Conley, and McDaniels went a combined 1-13!).

As Abe always says, it's a make or miss league. Yes, Denver beat us on the margins in TO differential and rebounding, but you know you are in trouble when Aaron Gordon makes three 3's in four minutes of action to open the second half.

I think they know Ant will be attacking the paint more in Game 4, so I expect Denver to sell out and keep giving guys open 3's, especially the likes of Jaden. Him and the others are going to need to knock down those shots for us to have a chance.
rapsuperstar31

Post by rapsuperstar31 »

Apparently Malone used the media attention against us as well to light a fire under Denver's butt. The team watched film of Steven A and other media saying the Wolves were going to sweep them and Malone called out the media for it.
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

I like what Lip is saying about the lack of intensity in such a huge game. What exactly did we see last night? Denver was certainly the much better team, but the lack of professionalism on our part was alarming. I still say 3 questionable foul calls on Jaden in 8 minutes supersedes the importance of the final foul count. I was worried about something like that happening, I could see it coming, and it came to fruition. Again, not the reason we lost but in a closer game it could be.

Game 4 sets up as the biggest game in the association so far this year. I read on X last night an opinion that the winner of tomorrow night's game will win the championship. I can see that, it's that big of a game. I don't know if we can flip a switch like the Nuggets did. Everyone needs to be much better, and now the pressure switches to us. I can't say I feel good about our chances.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

NBA champions last 10 years

Nuggets: didn’t get blown out
Warriors: lost by 39
Bucks: lost by 29
Lakers lost by 15
Raptors lost by 25
Warriors lost by 19
Warriors: lost by 21
Cavs: lost by 33 and 15
Warriors: no blow out
Spurs: lost by 21

Michael Jordan lost by 17 in the 2nd round to the Knicks on the way to his first title.

Lebron James lost by 19 in game 3 against the pacers in the 2nd round on his way to a title.

6 of the remaining 8 playoff teams were blown out this playoffs at some point

Yes champions get blown out in the playoffs a lot.
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

kekgeek wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 12:21 pm NBA champions last 10 years

Lakers lost by 15
Raptors lost by 25
Warriors lost by 19

Michael Jordan lost by 17 in the 2nd round to the Knicks on the way to his first title.

Lebron James lost by 19 in game 3 against the pacers in the 2nd round on his way to a title.

I wonder how many of those lopsided games were lost at home. I still don't understand how most of your team comes out flat AF and gets boat raced in that situation. I guess the same as Denver in game 2.
rapsuperstar31

Post by rapsuperstar31 »

Coolbreeze44 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 4:33 pm
kekgeek wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 12:21 pm NBA champions last 10 years

Lakers lost by 15
Raptors lost by 25
Warriors lost by 19

I wonder how many of those lopsided games were lost at home. I still don't understand how most of your team comes out flat AF and gets boat raced in that situation. I guess the same as Denver in game 2.
And Boston lost to Cleveland by 24 at home.
FNG

Post by FNG »

I listened to both Dane Moore's and a Nuggets podcast today. Obviously the tone was different...the Nuggets guys were positively giddy, and Dane was a little down but looking forward to the rest of the series. But the difference in Games 2 and 3 refereeing was mentioned on both podcasts, as both pointed out the number of soft fouls in 3 compared to 2. Of course they had different perspectives...Dane lamented Jaden's minutes being limited by his 4 fouls, and the Nuggets guys talking about Porter Jr. and Gordon having to hit the bench early because of soft fouls.

I found Game 3 much less watchable than Game 2, and not just because we got destroyed, The 11 additional fouls in Game 3 (even though they were all on Denver) interrupted the flow of the game and made it less fun. It got me wondering...why doesn't the NBA assign one refereeing team to each series? That way teams wouldn't have to adjust to a different refereeing style each game. I would like to see the NBA make this change in order to reduce the amount of inconsistent calls.

Both podcasts stressed another point that I don't know we have brought up here...the Wolves lack of interest in driving to the basket. Denver is not a good rim protecting team, and yet the Wolves took 33 threes rather than trying to score in the paint. I agree with this take. It might have had a lot to do with the Wolves' lack of energy in this game...it's easier to jack up threes than it is to go into the paint. I hope the coaching staff will emphasize getting to the basket in practice/film today. Challenging the Nuggets' interior defense would help kickstart our offense.
TheGrey08

Post by TheGrey08 »

Q-is-here wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 10:32 am
TheGrey08 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:44 pm Such a disappointing game. Some will say they just played like shit, but I think the biggest thing was ice cold shooting. Numerous higher percentage shots that just rimmed out along with laying bricks from 3. I'm not even factoring the 4th quarter as the game was pretty much over.

Beyond that there were more tough calls from this crew that had the super quick whistle in game 2 or 3 (I forget which) of the Suns series. Having that happen during a cold shooting stretch certainly didn't help. KG eluded to the refs possibly clamping down in game 3 and they absolutely did. Others pointed out it would be that crew from PHX and thus expected a some weak calls. Joker shoving and throwing himself into Rudy with a knocked backward Rudy getting the foul called on him was the officiating in a nutshell.

I'm not saying the refs cost them the game (bad shooting was by far #1) but ffs it just ruins the product. Inconsistent officiating, win or lose is maddening. How can a guy get away with full extending and shoving a defender with their off arm while on the other end a defender gets called for bodying up while moving his feet lol. Just wish we could get some consistency across the damn board.
I'm with you Grey. This was a "shooting luck" game, with Denver making a bunch of shots, some of which were very well contested and Minnesota missing a bunch of open shots (JMac, NAW, Conley, and McDaniels went a combined 1-13!).

As Abe always says, it's a make or miss league. Yes, Denver beat us on the margins in TO differential and rebounding, but you know you are in trouble when Aaron Gordon makes three 3's in four minutes of action to open the second half.

I think they know Ant will be attacking the paint more in Game 4, so I expect Denver to sell out and keep giving guys open 3's, especially the likes of Jaden. Him and the others are going to need to knock down those shots for us to have a chance.
Agreed. To me game 2 was a much more dominant win than game 3 was. We can point to multiple different things, intensity, defense, shot selection, etc but shooting was the difference. In addition to the missed open shots, they had a lot of bunnies/contested layups failing to drop and overall quite a few shots that just rimmed out. A perfect storm of sorts.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

The Nuggets were winning that game with or without a soft whistle... but FNG... Idon't know how relevant is to just count up fouls in a 27 point game.

Denver's dominance on the line early was part of its success. And the Wolves settling for threes and not driving hard to the hoop didn't help.

I just don't think we should put too much stock in the Timberwolves shooting 16 of their 25 free throws in the 4th quarter... especially since most of them came after the benches cleared.
TheGrey08

Post by TheGrey08 »

FNG wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 5:10 pm I listened to both Dane Moore's and a Nuggets podcast today. Obviously the tone was different...the Nuggets guys were positively giddy, and Dane was a little down but looking forward to the rest of the series. But the difference in Games 2 and 3 refereeing was mentioned on both podcasts, as both pointed out the number of soft fouls in 3 compared to 2. Of course they had different perspectives...Dane lamented Jaden's minutes being limited by his 4 fouls, and the Nuggets guys talking about Porter Jr. and Gordon having to hit the bench early because of soft fouls.

I found Game 3 much less watchable than Game 2, and not just because we got destroyed, The 11 additional fouls in Game 3 (even though they were all on Denver) interrupted the flow of the game and made it less fun. It got me wondering...why doesn't the NBA assign one refereeing team to each series? That way teams wouldn't have to adjust to a different refereeing style each game. I would like to see the NBA make this change in order to reduce the amount of inconsistent calls.

Both podcasts stressed another point that I don't know we have brought up here...the Wolves lack of interest in driving to the basket. Denver is not a good rim protecting team, and yet the Wolves took 33 threes rather than trying to score in the paint. I agree with this take. It might have had a lot to do with the Wolves' lack of energy in this game...it's easier to jack up threes than it is to go into the paint. I hope the coaching staff will emphasize getting to the basket in practice/film today. Challenging the Nuggets' interior defense would help kickstart our offense.
Foul splits for Denver 3/7/5/10 vs the Wolves 6/5/6/3
Denver had the edge when it mattered (4th was garbage time) and I believe Denver has gotten away with a bit more in the series so far. Joker commits multiple offensive fouls a game that go uncalled. Full extension push offs, throwing his arm/shoulder heavily into guys, moving screens (almost wiped out NAW), etc. Seeing Joker push and slam into Gobert enough to stagger him backwards and then see Gobert called for the foul said everything to me. How do officials ignore that and then call weak crap elsewhere? It's so baffling.

A single officiating crew per series sounds good until you get a bad crew. At least they currently only affect 1 or 2 games a series. It's just annoying they can't be consistent. The Brothers crew officiated game 3 vs the Suns and it was a similarly subpar officiated game. On the other hand, the Suns series officiating was frustrating all 4 games (I lost track of how many moving/illegal screens they had every single game) so who knows lol.

I was surprised they didn't start attacking the paint more as well. I don't see that happening again in game 4.