TC to the Pistons?

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
FNG

TC to the Pistons?

Post by FNG »

That's what Chariana is reporting...or at least that the Pistons are so sold on him that they are willing to pay him $15 million a year- double what he is being paid now.

I'm thinking the money is the only reason he would do this. Detroit had the worst record in the league last season, and has notoriously bad luck in the lottery...again this year they dropped 3 places to end up with the 4th pick. But I'm guessing if they offer $15 million, he'll take it.

Silver lining: David Kahn is available.
TheGrey08

Re: TC to the Pistons?

Post by TheGrey08 »

From what I gathered he was just reporting that he's likely to opt out, but remain with the Wolves while also reporting the Pistons may try to make a run at him.

It's just unfortunate the ownership drama has to hang over head as well. I see it as his way to force an extension & raise. The team just better not screw around long enough to risk the Pistons throwing crazy money at him.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Losing TC would be a blow to this organization. I haven’t agreed with all his moves, but he’s made some really shrewd moves and I like the culture he’s building inside the organization. I just wish Glen Taylor would get out of the way. His mere presence is depressing. He’s litany of dumb decisions over the years taints this organization.
TheGrey08

Post by TheGrey08 »

Lipoli390 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 7:22 pm Losing TC would be a blow to this organization. I haven’t agreed with all his moves, but he’s made some really shrewd moves and I like the culture he’s building inside the organization. I just wish Glen Taylor would get out of the way. His mere presence is depressing. He’s litany of dumb decisions over the years taints this organization.
Yeah, as long as Lore/ARod truly have the funding to go over the 2nd apron to keep this roster together, I hope they win their case. (They reportedly provided a report to the NBA that showed a reduction in cap salary next year, but I'm hoping that was submitted way before they went on this run. The last thing we need is cheap ownership going forward.) I don't know why Glen can't just agree to be a more silent partner.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

I see a few reasons why the Pistons gig would be appealing...

- 2x the money... and probably more than what Taylor/other guys would pay even with a raise.
- Minnesota is facing the apron... and doesn't have many picks coming up. (to be fair, using Towns to restock the team might be appealing?)
- The ownership squabble probably hits Connelly more than almost anyone else in the organization. Does he love both options as owners... or does he strongly prefer one side over the other. And if so... how much is he willing to risk on a court case?
- The ownership squabble also gives him perfect cover for leaving so quickly. Nobody would blame him for it.
- The Pistons SUCK. There's no place to go but up. And the East is drastically behind the West for the next few years. Imagine being the architect of three different teams and the ticket he could write for himself.
mjs34

Post by mjs34 »

TheGrey08 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:43 pm
Lipoli390 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 7:22 pm Losing TC would be a blow to this organization. I haven’t agreed with all his moves, but he’s made some really shrewd moves and I like the culture he’s building inside the organization. I just wish Glen Taylor would get out of the way. His mere presence is depressing. He’s litany of dumb decisions over the years taints this organization.
Yeah, as long as Lore/ARod truly have the funding to go over the 2nd apron to keep this roster together, I hope they win their case. (They reportedly provided a report to the NBA that showed a reduction in cap salary next year, but I'm hoping that was submitted way before they went on this run. The last thing we need is cheap ownership going forward.) I don't know why Glen can't just agree to be a more silent partner.
I not as worried about TC possibly leaving. When he came to the wolves we already had Ant, Kat, McDaniels on the roster. His first move was Rudy, which I believe we overpaid for. Was Rudy the major difference in our defense? Clearly has something to do with it, but is he replaceable for 40 mil a year, certainly. TC's best move was getting Conley and NAW in the DLO trade. That is when the changes become noticeable for this team. His draft moves were moving down to get Kessler (traded for Rudy) Moore Jr, and Minot. Is it a culture change that he brought, possibly. Right now we look like a mess moving forward with the salary cap/luxury tax problems staring us down.

I have never understood the animus towards Taylor. He saved the team from leaving, put Mchale in charge which lead to KG, and has never been cheap when it came to payroll. His biggest flaw is being too loyal to his people.

ARod couldn't come up with his share of the payment last year according to rumors so it isn't crazy to believe that was happening again, and may have contributed to the lower salary budget submitted to the NBA. Having owners that are cash poor would likely lead to Ant leaving, and a possible relocation.
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

mjs34 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:54 am
I not as worried about TC possibly leaving. When he came to the wolves we already had Ant, Kat, McDaniels on the roster. His first move was Rudy, which I believe we overpaid for. Was Rudy the major difference in our defense? Clearly has something to do with it, but is he replaceable for 40 mil a year, certainly. TC's best move was getting Conley and NAW in the DLO trade. That is when the changes become noticeable for this team. His draft moves were moving down to get Kessler (traded for Rudy) Moore Jr, and Minot. Is it a culture change that he brought, possibly. Right now we look like a mess moving forward with the salary cap/luxury tax problems staring us down.

I have never understood the animus towards Taylor. He saved the team from leaving, put Mchale in charge which lead to KG, and has never been cheap when it came to payroll. His biggest flaw is being too loyal to his people.

ARod couldn't come up with his share of the payment last year according to rumors so it isn't crazy to believe that was happening again, and may have contributed to the lower salary budget submitted to the NBA. Having owners that are cash poor would likely lead to Ant leaving, and a possible relocation.
"never understood the animus toward Taylor".....He's the most losing professional sports owner in modern history.

"According to rumors"....Mmmmm, I wonder who may have put those rumors out there?

I will agree that TC's magic drafting touch has not impressed me so far. None of the guys he drafted in the last two years were even close to touching the top 10 man rotation. That's definitely going to be a problem if he chooses to run it back with a bloated payroll and the need to backfill some free agents (like SloMo) with cheaper talent.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

Q-is-here wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:14 am

"never understood the animus toward Taylor".....He's the most losing professional sports owner in modern history.

"According to rumors"....Mmmmm, I wonder who may have put those rumors out there?

I will agree that TC's magic drafting touch has not impressed me so far. None of the guys he drafted in the last two years were even close to touching the top 10 man rotation. That's definitely going to be a problem if he chooses to run it back with a bloated payroll and the need to backfill some free agents (like SloMo) with cheaper talent.
Also to those “rumors” there has been a couple of reports that during mediation Taylor admitted that Lore/Arod have not missed a payment during the agreement and have the money, however Taylor said they are not acting in “commercial reasonable efforts”
mjs34

Post by mjs34 »

kekgeek wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:57 am
Q-is-here wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:14 am

Also to those “rumors” there has been a couple of reports that during mediation Taylor admitted that Lore/Arod have not missed a payment during the agreement and have the money, however Taylor said they are not acting in “commercial reasonable efforts”
Unless I see video, all we can go by is the credibility of who reported it, as well as responses. ARod has countered some of the claims that they had the money, but not specifically himself.

What the hell does "commercial reasonable efforts" mean :lol:
TheGrey08

Post by TheGrey08 »

TheGrey08 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:43 pm Yeah, as long as Lore/ARod truly have the funding to go over the 2nd apron to keep this roster together, I hope they win their case. (They reportedly provided a report to the NBA that showed a reduction in cap salary next year, but I'm hoping that was submitted way before they went on this run. The last thing we need is cheap ownership going forward.) I don't know why Glen can't just agree to be a more silent partner.

I'm not worried about TC leaving either, but the ownership drama does cloud that just a tad. I just hope they have it together to get TC extended as soon as possible after the playoffs. To me the cap situation isn't that big of a deal as long as that Lore/ARod report is from before their run started. Taylor has already made it known he's willing to go over that apron with this roster. Now I just want to hear that Lore/ARod are fully capable and committed to doing the same.

Regarding Taylor in general, my only issues with him is older way of thinking. EX: him reacting to Lore/ARod wanting to go after TC by basically saying why are you bothering, he'll never come here. New/fresh ownership is what the team did and does need. Without them TC never comes here and the Rudy/Conley trades may not happen either.

I heard the ARod rumors as well, but they've both publicly stated they had the money for each payment and the 36% stake they have now is funded by nearly all their own money, the one exception is a friend of theirs who invested a little. They also said they have/had all funding ready to go well before the date that Taylor pulled the plug on. They were all supposed to be waiting for the league to sign off on the final deal.