Nuggets podcast

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
FNG

Nuggets podcast

Post by FNG »

I've gotten into listening to the most popular podcast for our opponents this playoff season...always interesting to get the other guys' perspective.

The Nuggets' fans on the podcast are positively giddy...they remind me of how we were here after Game 2 when Barkley declared the series over and many of the national pundits were labeling the Wolves as the new favorites. And we know what happened next. I know players and fans are different, but in some ways they're not, and the giddiness of the guys on the podcast gave me a little optimism about tonight. Why? Because when two teams are as talented as these two, often the winner is decided by who is more focused and hungry. And if you're already looking ahead to the next series, that ain't you. Reportedly Malone got the Nuggets all juiced up by playing snippets of media comments about them being done. The national media have done a 180 on this series, and now are mostly calling for the Nuggets in 6. I hope Finchie uses that to give us an edge.

I'll get into some of the specifics the Nuggets guys discussed in another post, but this one is mostly about the emotional component of basketball. Do you guys think emotions played a big part in the disastrous Games 3 and 4 (especially 3), and do you think it could be to our advantage if we're the hungrier team tonight?
FNG

Re: Nuggets podcast

Post by FNG »

Most of the podcast was the Nuggets guys talking about "has X player played his best game". They got away from some of their giddiness as they got into this, and actually made some good points.

The bench: They of course don't expect the bench to perform like they have. They like Braun, but have little confidence in the rest of the bench. I think all of us here also expect their bench to revert to the mean

Gordon: Of course he's played his best game of this series, and maybe the best game of his life. They heard Finchie talk postgame about giving AG a little more attention, and they thought that was stupid. He's going to regress to the mean. I agree.

Porter: They thought we won't see anything better than what he did in Games 1 and 3. They clearly don't have the same high regard for MPJ that we do here, and they think the Wolves defense will limit him. They got ahead of themselves though (on point with my previous post) in saying that they expect Porter to play much better in the NEXT series. Let's hope the Nuggets are also looking ahead.

KCP: They were also quite negative about him. They don't think he has played well at either end of the court, and think Braun should get more of his minutes. They admitted he can't stop Ant, but they thought he was more effective than KCP. And they made a similar looking ahead comment about KCP possibly playing better in the next series.

Jamal: This surprised me, but all but one of them didn't think we would see much more from Jamal than what he has shown so far. Again, the Wolves defense has been effective on him, and they expect it to continue. One guy said he expected a few Murray Flurries as the series progresses.

Joker: Not surprisingly, they all thought we haven't seen Joker's best game yet, and I have to admit I agree. There's probably a 40 point game coming. They talked about how easy it is for Joker to score when Rudy seems more focused on stopping the lob. I agree...Rudy (either as the primary defender or the help) has to bother Joker a little more on that 6-10 footer.

So overall, guys who watch the Nuggets for a living don't see anyone other than Joker playing much better in these next games. I don't know if I agree...I still worry a lot about Porter, and even KCP can hit a few threes. But it made me a little more optimistic listening to them.
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

I think emotions/mental state had something to do with our Game 3 loss, but Game 4 was just Denver making shots and us missing shots. May be KAT was messed up in the head, but let's face it, that's been a problem that has popped up throughout his history so we shouldn't be shocked that the whiny/stray voltage version of KAT made an appearance. It was bound to happen at some point. Our defense played hard in game 4 (not perfect, but the effort and intensity was there) and Ant clearly came in more focused than Game 3.

Again, I think this is more about staying focused, sticking with whatever the game plan is, and then just hope we make more shots than they do.
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

Game 3 we simply threw away. It was a matter of one team playing desperate and the other like they had really accomplished something by being up 2-0. I credit Malone for getting them ready and making great adjustments. And then of course they went out and executed like world champions do.

Game 4 I thought we got the "good" Wolves again. But three very bad things happened. First, the Nuggets didn't forget how to shoot between games. Second, after a great start our bench let us down to the tune of a 22-4 blitz by the Nuggets. And then third, after we managed to begin crawling out of that hole the last 15 seconds of the first half happened. In combination we were unable to overcome those three factors.

I'm cautiously optimistic tonight as well. The guys got away from the distractions of being home and could focus on this business trip. The nature of basketball or pretty much all sports is that you don't have the same team from game to game. The chances of the Nuggets being as sharp as they were in Minnesota are relatively low. And the Wolves are a damn good team with something to prove. Let's see how it plays out. It would be exciting to come home with a 3-2 lead.
FNG

Post by FNG »

Q-is-here wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 3:46 pm I think emotions/mental state had something to do with our Game 3 loss, but Game 4 was just Denver making shots and us missing shots. May be KAT was messed up in the head, but let's face it, that's been a problem that has popped up throughout his history so we shouldn't be shocked that the whiny/stray voltage version of KAT made an appearance. It was bound to happen at some point. Our defense played hard in game 4 (not perfect, but the effort and intensity was there) and Ant clearly came in more focused than Game 3.

Again, I think this is more about staying focused, sticking with whatever the game plan is, and then just hope we make more shots than they do.
All very true, Q. I think a better word than emotion would be overconfidence. These are young men with big egos, and what they hear in the national media probably impacts most of them. I think it was natural for the Wolves to have a letdown in Game 3, and I think there's a good chance we see that from the Nuggets tonight.

As for emotion, the podcasters had some fun with the Wolves melting down emotionally in Games 3 and 4, although one of them at least said "Well, we were kind of guilty of that in 1 and 2 also". I think what we have learned as that we have two teams that are both hyper-competitive and somewhat immature. What that leads to is the kind of meltdowns we have seen in the first 4 games from both teams. You can't stress enough the importance of getting off to a quick start, and then not letting up. I want to see Malone with a red face and Jamal throwing objects again!
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

I don't think we're seeing any more meltdowns or overconfidence coming from Denver.

They are a championship squad. They weathered the storm and played like a championship-level team the past two games.

That being said... I think these are two of the best three teams in the league... so the Wolves can still win the series.

[Note: As for reverting to the mean... Edwards is shooting 56/44 for the playoffs and 61/44 for this series. He's probably due for a shooting clunker as the games will get more and more physical and tighter this week.]
Porckchop

Post by Porckchop »

For the Wolves the biggest concern is always if KAT brings his composure and IQ. You never know what you’re getting with this guy.
FNG

Post by FNG »

I was really looking forward to listing to the Denver podcast ("Losers' Lounge") after they were eliminated. I was annoyed when I last listened to the last one when they were prematurely celebrating after sweeping us at home. I was ready to be triumphant as I listened to their whining and crying. Instead I got a very measured, intelligent hour with a lot of respect for the Wolves. All of the 4 guys on the podcast had us beating Dallas, and 3 of the 4 had us beating Boston in the finals. Here are a couple of their takes:

Coaching: They were very unhappy with how Malone managed the minutes in Game 7. It's not only that Joker only rested 1 minute and Murray 5. It's also that the minutes they played in the first half were intense. They both worked their butts off at both ends of the court. Not giving them another 4-5 minute blow when the Nuggets were up 20 in the 3rd quarter was a disastrous decision. I agree. Both of them looked exhausted in the second half. You could say the same thing about the Wolves playing Ant 44 minutes, but even though some have questioned Ant's conditioning, he didn't look too tired to me in the second half.

Gobert: They (as well as the Dane Moore podcasters) laughed at the TNT halftime crew's suggestion that the Wolves bench Rudy to start the second half. Instead they praised Finchie's decision to force feed Rudy at the start of the third quarter (as well as some in the first half). Clumsy Rudy drew foul after foul, and getting the Wolves into the bonus so early was one of the keys to the comeback. Even though the Wolves had almost as many fouls as the Nuggets, they had 14 more attempts and 12 more makes than the Nuggets, primarily because Rudy got them to the limit so early. They also praised Rudy's interior defense, especially in the first half when he kept the game from getting totally out of hand.

3-point shooting: Neither team shot the 3 well, but the Denver podcasters lamented all the 3-point shots the Nuggets took and missed in the second half. They said this was mostly a product of them being so tired...it's a lot easier to launch a 3-pointer instead of going to the bucket when you're gassed. They also credited Rudy setting the stage early with his interior defense as a reason Denver stuck with threes in the second half.

One incredibly bad take they had though had to do with Porter Jr. They ripped how he played the entire series, and credited the Wolves decision to just let him shoot. Nope. We did that with Gordon, but the game plan on MPJ was to have Jaden turn him into a missing person on a milk carton by being on him like a cheap suit. Jaden took the game away from Porter.

I haven't finished the pod, so I may have a few more things to add. I also plan on listening to the most popular Mavs pod before Wednesday.
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

FNG wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 3:57 pm I was really looking forward to listing to the Denver podcast ("Losers' Lounge") after they were eliminated. I was annoyed when I last listened to the last one when they were prematurely celebrating after sweeping us at home. I was ready to be triumphant as I listened to their whining and crying. Instead I got a very measured, intelligent hour with a lot of respect for the Wolves. All of the 4 guys on the podcast had us beating Dallas, and 3 of the 4 had us beating Boston in the finals. Here are a couple of their takes:

Coaching: They were very unhappy with how Malone managed the minutes in Game 7. It's not only that Joker only rested 1 minute and Murray 5. It's also that the minutes they played in the first half were intense. They both worked their butts off at both ends of the court. Not giving them another 4-5 minute blow when the Nuggets were up 20 in the 3rd quarter was a disastrous decision. I agree. Both of them looked exhausted in the second half. You could say the same thing about the Wolves playing Ant 44 minutes, but even though some have questioned Ant's conditioning, he didn't look too tired to me in the second half.

Gobert: They (as well as the Dane Moore podcasters) laughed at the TNT halftime crew's suggestion that the Wolves bench Rudy to start the second half. Instead they praised Finchie's decision to force feed Rudy at the start of the third quarter (as well as some in the first half). Clumsy Rudy drew foul after foul, and getting the Wolves into the bonus so early was one of the keys to the comeback. Even though the Wolves had almost as many fouls as the Nuggets, they had 14 more attempts and 12 more makes than the Nuggets, primarily because Rudy got them to the limit so early. They also praised Rudy's interior defense, especially in the first half when he kept the game from getting totally out of hand.

3-point shooting: Neither team shot the 3 well, but the Denver podcasters lamented all the 3-point shots the Nuggets took and missed in the second half. They said this was mostly a product of them being so tired...it's a lot easier to launch a 3-pointer instead of going to the bucket when you're gassed. They also credited Rudy setting the stage early with his interior defense as a reason Denver stuck with threes in the second half.

One incredibly bad take they had though had to do with Porter Jr. They ripped how he played the entire series, and credited the Wolves decision to just let him shoot. Nope. We did that with Gordon, but the game plan on MPJ was to have Jaden turn him into a missing person on a milk carton by being on him like a cheap suit. Jaden took the game away from Porter.

I haven't finished the pod, so I may have a few more things to add. I also plan on listening to the most popular Mavs pod before Wednesday.
Thanks for the recap FNG. It's always interesting hearing the perspective of the other team's followers. I agree with your take on MPJ. Yes, he did miss a few good looks throughout the series, but more often than not he was covered and had a guy in his face (mostly Jaden).

The book on MPJ is that he can't beat you off the dribble, so just stay attached to him and you'll be fine as he has nothing in his bag except a face-up catch-and-shoot game with may be an escape dribble or two thrown in sometimes. It's when you double off him or get lost in off ball relocation that he will torch you (e.g. Lakers).