Time to talk offseason.

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Phenom

Re: Time to talk offseason.

Post by Phenom »

Running it back won't sound sexy to anyone BUT this same team with hitting the next benchmark for ANT, Jaden and maybe NAZ is something I can buy.
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

Phenom wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 9:50 pm Running it back won't sound sexy to anyone BUT this same team with hitting the next benchmark for ANT, Jaden and maybe NAZ is something I can buy.
If you're not getting better, you're falling behind. Changes have to and will be made.
Phenom

Post by Phenom »

Coolbreeze44 wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 10:06 pm
Phenom wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 9:50 pm Running it back won't sound sexy to anyone BUT this same team with hitting the next benchmark for ANT, Jaden and maybe NAZ is something I can buy.
If you're not getting better, you're falling behind. Changes have to and will be made.
If ANT and Jaden don't get better then it's already over.
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

Phenom wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 10:08 pm
I'm sure they will. But we can't come back with the three headed monster at center. The key is which one to move.
Phenom

Post by Phenom »

Coolbreeze44 wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 10:10 pm
Phenom wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 10:08 pm

I'm sure they will. But we can't come back with the three headed monster at center. The key is which one to move.
I think if you move KAT it has to be a sure fire scorer, think Trae, Dejounte or Ingram. With Gobert there is more optionality but surely less upside, think Capela plus DeAndre Hunter or something like that. Naz would I guess bring back a useful point guard like Caruso? Reaves? One of the Magic guards? Tyus?
BloopOracle

Post by BloopOracle »

I love Naz but we all see his warts. The majority of the league doesn't though they think he is the bee's knees, if we have to move one of the three bigs this off season I'm hoping it's him.
FNG

Post by FNG »

BloopOracle wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 7:48 am I love Naz but we all see his warts. The majority of the league doesn't though they think he is the bee's knees, if we have to move one of the three bigs this off season I'm hoping it's him.
I don't know that we have to move one of our bigs, but if we do, I agree Naz is the right choice. He's coming off of a season where he won a big award, and his reputation is very high around the league. When I listen to national media, they only talk about his offensive prowess- which is admittedly very good. I hear very little talk about his inability to be an effective defender and facilitator. I'm confident there are teams out there who crave a guy like Naz, and we could get a decent return for him. Make a good pick, trade Naz, and run this winning roster back next year.
Carlos Danger

Post by Carlos Danger »

FNG wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 8:12 am
BloopOracle wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 7:48 am I love Naz but we all see his warts. The majority of the league doesn't though they think he is the bee's knees, if we have to move one of the three bigs this off season I'm hoping it's him.
I don't know that we have to move one of our bigs, but if we do, I agree Naz is the right choice. He's coming off of a season where he won a big award, and his reputation is very high around the league. When I listen to national media, they only talk about his offensive prowess- which is admittedly very good. I hear very little talk about his inability to be an effective defender and facilitator. I'm confident there are teams out there who crave a guy like Naz, and we could get a decent return for him. Make a good pick, trade Naz, and run this winning roster back next year.
Ahhh. This old debate again. I've always been in the move Towns camp. For starters, he will bring way more in return. He's also older and probably not going to get better. Naz is still only 24 - and he's gotten better every year. I'd bet on him over Towns long term. Naz is most likely going to give you more games for the $. Since he came into the NBA, Naz has played 326 games (5 seasons). Towns played 250 over that same period. That's almost a full season difference over 5 years - something to consider.

And to be clear, Towns is obviously the better player right now. But he's also way more expensive, injury prone and probably not going to get better. Naz on the other hand is younger, improving and healthy. I keep Naz and trade Towns for something very good i.e. a starter and some draft capital.
TheGrey08

Post by TheGrey08 »

Carlos Danger wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 8:25 am
FNG wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 8:12 am
Ahhh. This old debate again. I've always been in the move Towns camp. For starters, he will bring way more in return. He's also older and probably not going to get better. Naz is still only 24 - and he's gotten better every year. I'd bet on him over Towns long term. Naz is most likely going to give you more games for the $. Since he came into the NBA, Naz has played 326 games (5 seasons). Towns played 250 over that same period. That's almost a full season difference over 5 years - something to consider.

And to be clear, Towns is obviously the better player right now. But he's also way more expensive, injury prone and probably not going to get better. Naz on the other hand is younger, improving and healthy. I keep Naz and trade Towns for something very good i.e. a starter and some draft capital.
Seems like people are not realizing just how much better he was this year than previous, especially on the defensive end. He was the key to slowing down Joker. I don't completely disagree with the idea of trading him if necessary, but it's a bit silly to think he can't get better when he literally just had a season in which he improved more than anyone thought he could defensively (this team is not the #1 defense if he doesn't improve significantly), while he adjusted quite well to playing the 4.

He's still reaching too much on D and needs to adjust his offensive game even more by reducing his out of control drives and instead mix in some mid range shots, especially in the 8-12 foot range. Teams know what he's going to do most times. He's gotta mix it up.
Carlos Danger

Post by Carlos Danger »

TheGrey08 wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 8:55 am
Seems like people are not realizing just how much better he was this year than previous, especially on the defensive end. He was the key to slowing down Joker. I don't completely disagree with the idea of trading him if necessary, but it's a bit silly to think he can't get better when he literally just had a season in which he improved more than anyone thought he could defensively (this team is not the #1 defense if he doesn't improve significantly), while he adjusted quite well to playing the 4.

He's still reaching too much on D and needs to adjust his offensive game even more by reducing his out of control drives and instead mix in some mid range shots, especially in the 8-12 foot range. Teams know what he's going to do most times. He's gotta mix it up.
There are many on here who will agree with you that Towns improved his defense. My position is that it is debatable. Defense is not an easy thing to measure, so metrics can probably be pulled on both sides to "prove" who is right. Eye test is also debatable as we all have biases (those who think he's improving will naturally watch for "good plays" and those who don't think he improved will point out "bad plays"). Nobody is ever going to change each other's minds on this, so I will just agree to disagree on Towns being better. My own biases will never allow me to think of Towns as a good defender based on the times I've watched him. But he is an All Star and that's worth a healthy return if you are looking to bring back a haul.