Years ago someone here pounded the table for Isaiah Harkenstein

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
BloopOracle

Years ago someone here pounded the table for Isaiah Harkenstein

Post by BloopOracle »

At the time they were not even on a team and that person couldn't understand why, if you're still here you need to take a bow
Coolbreeze44

Re: Years ago someone here pounded the table for Isaiah Harkenstein

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

It wasn't me but I remember at least one if not 2 or 3 pushing for him.
Sundog

Post by Sundog »

I know Lip was one!
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Sundog wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 10:49 pm I know Lip was one!
Yes, I was one. :). Like Cool, I recall there were a couple others who shared my strong desire to sign Hartenstein. I’m not going to get into a retrospective on the Gobert deal. I’ll just say that I still believe their were more sound ways to build on this team’s 46-win season two years ago and develop a championship contender around what was at the time our 19 year old potential superstar and his 20 year old cohort, Mr. McDaniels. We’ll never know what might have been if the Wolves had made moves like signing Hartenstein and used the Gobert trade assets differently. The good news is that we made the Western Conference finals this year and I think we’re positioned to take another run at a championship with the current team, including both Rudy and KAT - even without Hartenstein. :)
Monster

Post by Monster »

Tim Connelly signed him to the Nuggets on a multi year deal. :)

I was interested in him that season and definitely the following offseason when the cavs cut him loose and he signed for cheap with the clippers after playing reasonably well especially for the Cavs.

I was a little cooler on him when he signed his last deal because I wasn’t sure how much he would get. I might feel even more that way depending on how much he receives this offseason. He is an example of how every roster spot matters and there can be value in signing guys to those cheap multi year deals.
KG4Ever

Post by KG4Ever »

I was another who pushed constantly for Hartenstein when he was a free agent.

Wolves need to resign Kyle A on the cheap and resign Monte or alternatively or additionally either Killian Hayes or Marquelle Fultz. Hayes is my favorite reclamation project as he was highly rated (no. 1 by TheRinger) coming into draft. He still flashed decent passing and ball handling numbers (5.2 assists to 2.0 turnovers) and was considered a decent defender and he has good length for the position. He just didn't shoot well enough, but pre-draft his shot was ok and he shot over 40% for the first time in his NBA career last year, so he's trending up. He probably was thrown into the fire too quickly in Detroit and put in a bad organization. With better coaching, Conley's mentorship and much less pressure, I think he's worth a shot as a reclamation project on a minimal deal as he's only 22. Also, he wouldn't be asked to shoot a lot here. Point guard is a position that takes more time to develop and there are examples of good point guards that were given up on earlier in their career like Billups and Lowry. I think he has more upside than several of our back end of the roster guys.

I'm also intrigued by Fultz. Tyus would also be great except I don't think he'd come here for what we could pay him.
Last edited by KG4Ever on Tue Jun 25, 2024 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

KG4Ever wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 6:45 pm I was another who pushed constantly for Hartenstein when he was a free agent.

Wolves need to resign Kyle A on the cheap and resign Monte or alternatively or additionally either Killian Hayes or Marquelle Fultz. Hayes is my favorite reclamation project as he was highly rated (no. 1 by TheRinger) coming into draft. He still flashed decent passing and ball handling numbers (5.2 assists to 2.0 turnovers) and was considered a decent defender and he has good length for the position. He just didn't shoot well enough, but pre-draft his shot was ok and he shot over 40% for the first time in his NBA career last year, so he's trending up. He probably was thrown into the fire too quickly in Detroit and put in a bad organization. With better coaching, Conley's mentorship and much less pressure, I think he's worth a shot as a reclamation project on a minimal deal as he's only 22. Also, he wouldn't be asked to shoot a lot here. Point guard is a position that takes more time to develop and there are examples of good point guards that were given up on earlier in their career like Billups and Lowry. I think he has more upside than several of our back end of the roster guys.

I'm also intrigued by Fultz. Tyus would also be great except I don't think he'd come here for what we could pay him.
Keep in mind that we can’t play any free agent more than the vet minimum. That means Fultz and Tyus aren’t viable free agent signings for the Wolves. Killian Hayes will end up signing somewhere for the vet minimum and he wouldn’t be a bad addition to the Wolves; however, we’re better off re-signing Morris and keeping JMac than using a roster spot on Hayes. I’ll note that we only have two open roster spots. Assuming we sign one of our two draft picks to a regular NBA contract, we’ll only have one roster spot for a free agent signing.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Lipoli390 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 8:24 pm
KG4Ever wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 6:45 pm I was another who pushed constantly for Hartenstein when he was a free agent.

Keep in mind that we can’t play any free agent more than the vet minimum. That means Fultz and Tyus aren’t viable free agent signings for the Wolves. Killian Hayes will end up signing somewhere for the vet minimum and he wouldn’t be a bad addition to the Wolves; however, we’re better off re-signing Morris and keeping JMac than using a roster spot on Hayes. I’ll note that we only have two open roster spots. Assuming we sign one of our two draft picks to a regular NBA contract, we’ll only have one roster spot for a free agent signing.
I was gonna wholeheartedly agree on Hayes then I looked at the stats and I was like…um maybe not. He took a lower number of 3’s last season and still didn’t hit 30% of them. His scoring rate is McLaughlin-sesque. Strangely he shot FTs poorly last season. The reason he shot over 40% from the field was he took fewer 3’s. He improved his turnover rate so that’s a positive. I’m not sure if he is a much better prospect at this point than Nix. Hayes is still young but he turns 23 in a few weeks. For the vet min sure but idk if he is a guy I’m excited about. KG if you have watched him play and have more to convince me I’m listening! =)