Looking Ahead to 2024-25 Season

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Lipoli390

Looking Ahead to 2024-25 Season

Post by Lipoli390 »

I thought I’d start a thread devoted entirely to what needs to happen for the Wolves to remain a title contender and take the next step to the NBA finals next season.

We’ve discussed in other threads whether management should trade any of our core players (KAT, Rudy, Naz) this offseason or bring the same team back. We’ve also discussed that, because of the 2nd apron, bringing the team back would mean very little transactional latitude for free agent acquisitions or trades to significantly improve the team’s personnel. These issues are all fair game for continued discussion in this thread. However, one thing is certain: taking the next step will require improvement from current core players who will undoubtedly return next season. Here’s an interesting article about the need for Ant to improve his conditioning:

https://enewspaper.twincities.com/infin ... share=true

Here’s a list of potential sources of improvement next season:

1. Improvement from core young players who are at points in their careers where improvement is likely: Edwards, McDaniels and Naz Reid.

2. Signing a vet minimum free agent who could significantly improve our bench offensively without any net decline in our bench defense. This seems highly unlikely, but I suppose it’s theoretically possible.

3. Drafting at 27 or 37 a player who can have a significant positive impact by the end of the season. While there have been lots of really good players drafted at 27 and below, they rarely provide significant net positive value in their rookie seasons. However, there have been some, including Kyle Kuzma, Josh Hart, Desmond Bane, Malcolm Brogdon, and Bogdanovic Bogdanovic. I’m sure there have been some others too.
Q-is-here

Re: Looking Ahead to 2024-25 Season

Post by Q-is-here »

Good stuff Lip. I will reinforce and add to what you said above:

1. Ant maturing into a player that has the discipline and focus to be in peak physical condition, as already mentioned.

2. Get more out of the KAT/Ant two-man game. It's insane to me that we have to rely so much on the Conley/Gobert two-man game to settle us down in crunch time. While I think it's nice that we can sprinkle in some pick and roll with those two throughout the game, they should not be Finch's fallback option late in close games. What other elite team in the league can't rely on their two best offensive weapons when the screws get tightened to get into the offense and avoid empty possessions???

3. To Lip's point, find a wing shooter for the second unit and move on from Kyle Anderson. I've mentioned Nic Batum before as someone that might be willing to take the vet minimum to join his national team teammate Rudy Gobert and chase a ring. While he's not a high-volume 3 shooter, he is a good all around player whose shot has to be respected.

4. Identify a backup PG that could also be a solid starter when Conley needs rest or is hurt. No way does Conley play more than 60-65 games next season. I have mentioned trading Naz for Tyus Jones in a sign-and-trade deal (where Tyus is the one signed by Washington, then traded to us for Naz). If we can't get Tyus, then may be try to re-sign Monte to a reasonable deal and hope like hell he looks better than he did last year with us!
Phenom

Post by Phenom »

One problem with letting Kyle go is he can be signed to a significant, dollar amount, contract that the Wolves can not give to any other player. With the now present cap limitations on the team, resigning Kyle has strategic advantages, if the team is willing to pay for it. He could be retained and later traded for a piece above the minimum. Same with Monte.
FNG

Post by FNG »

It's going to be interesting the see what happens in the offseason. Making it to a conference finals only increases the desire of the fans (and it appears, management) to really go for it next season.

I think Kyle Anderson is far too versatile at both ends of the court to let go, so I'm hoping we can bring him back. I also think it's clear that management has no interest in moving on from KAT.

I continue to think that Naz is the one guy who can bring back more than we would be giving up in a trade. It would be a classic sell high move. This team's identity is going to continue to be elite defense, and unfortunately Naz will never fit into that identity. His developed offensive ability brought him a well-earned 6th man of the year award, as well as notoriety around the league. But I don't think his defensive struggles are as well known. They are here though...kek has done a great job of documenting in GDT's how many consecutive times in a row opponents score when Naz replaces Rudy. When Naz has one of his (not infrequent) terrific scoring nights, we seem to play our opponents relatively even. But on a cold night, we typically get badly outscored because of his poor defense. I think his positive profile around the league and his attractive contract could bring back a very attractive 3&D guy. The fans will not like this deal, but another winning season will help us move on emotionally from a popular player. I hope TC pursues a Naz trade this summer.

Our draft target needs to be based on whether TC thinks we have a suitable big man replacement for Naz. Miller, Luka, Minott? I suspect none of these three excite the Wolves, so I would target a PG and a PF with our two picks.

Oh, and bye bye Moore Jr.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Q-is-here wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 11:46 am Good stuff Lip. I will reinforce and add to what you said above:

1. Ant maturing into a player that has the discipline and focus to be in peak physical condition, as already mentioned.

2. Get more out of the KAT/Ant two-man game. It's insane to me that we have to rely so much on the Conley/Gobert two-man game to settle us down in crunch time. While I think it's nice that we can sprinkle in some pick and roll with those two throughout the game, they should not be Finch's fallback option late in close games. What other elite team in the league can't rely on their two best offensive weapons when the screws get tightened to get into the offense and avoid empty possessions???

3. To Lip's point, find a wing shooter for the second unit and move on from Kyle Anderson. I've mentioned Nic Batum before as someone that might be willing to take the vet minimum to join his national team teammate Rudy Gobert and chase a ring. While he's not a high-volume 3 shooter, he is a good all around player whose shot has to be respected.

4. Identify a backup PG that could also be a solid starter when Conley needs rest or is hurt. No way does Conley play more than 60-65 games next season. I have mentioned trading Naz for Tyus Jones in a sign-and-trade deal (where Tyus is the one signed by Washington, then traded to us for Naz). If we can't get Tyus, then may be try to re-sign Monte to a reasonable deal and hope like hell he looks better than he did last year with us!
Interesting, I recall watching an interview of Finch just before the season in which he said the team needed to recapture the two-man chemistry between Ant and KAT from the season before Rudy arrived. That two-man action between them was a big reason the Wolves were so good offensively and won 46 games that season.

Unfortunately I think losing that two-man action between Ant and KAT is a natural byproduct of having Rudy on the team. His presence in the paint and lack of any shooting range or passing ability crowds the space needed to optimize the Ant-KAT combo. You take the bad with the good when it comes to having Rudy. Obviously the Rudy’s overall net plus for the team was very positive this past season, but I think it forecloses unlocking or optimizing other opportunities on the offensive end like Ant’s dribble drive game, KAT’s post up, and the KAT-Ant two-man game.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Phenom wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 1:20 pm One problem with letting Kyle go is he can be signed to a significant, dollar amount, contract that the Wolves can not give to any other player. With the now present cap limitations on the team, resigning Kyle has strategic advantages, if the team is willing to pay for it. He could be retained and later traded for a piece above the minimum. Same with Monte.
I agree, Phenom. As a 2nd apron team the only two cap exceptions we have to sign free agents are the vet minimum and Bird rights. There’s no way we can get a player of Kyle’s caliber for the vet minimum. And Kyle was a major contributor to our success this past season.

The 2nd apron is also why we should re-sign Monte Morris. His track record tells us he’s much better than we saw late last season when hecteturned from a long injury. The Monte Morris we know from his overall career is far better than OF we can get for the vet minimum.

Trading Naz for Tyus would be a mistake in my view for several reasons. First, our offensive struggles and lack of offensive punch off the bench are already problematic. Giving up one of our best offensive players for Tyus would make the situation worse. Second, Naz isn’t just loved by fans he’s beloved by his teammates, especially Ant, so trading Naz threatens to harm team chemistry. Third, we have to look beyond next season building around our still 22 year old Ant and 23 year old Jaden. Naz, who is just scratching the surface of his considerable abilities, fits the Ant/Jaden trajectory.
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

Lipoli390 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 5:28 pm
Phenom wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 1:20 pm One problem with letting Kyle go is he can be signed to a significant, dollar amount, contract that the Wolves can not give to any other player. With the now present cap limitations on the team, resigning Kyle has strategic advantages, if the team is willing to pay for it. He could be retained and later traded for a piece above the minimum. Same with Monte.
I agree, Phenom. As a 2nd apron team the only two cap exceptions we have to sign free agents are the vet minimum and Bird rights. There’s no way we can get a player of Kyle’s caliber for the vet minimum. And Kyle was a major contributor to our success this past season.

The 2nd apron is also why we should re-sign Monte Morris. His track record tells us he’s much better than we saw late last season when hecteturned from a long injury. The Monte Morris we know from his overall career is far better than OF we can get for the vet minimum.

Trading Naz for Tyus would be a mistake in my view for several reasons. First, our offensive struggles and lack of offensive punch off the bench are already problematic. Giving up one of our best offensive players for Tyus would make the situation worse. Second, Naz isn’t just loved by fans he’s beloved by his teammates, especially Ant, so trading Naz threatens to harm team chemistry. Third, we have to look beyond next season building around our still 22 year old Ant and 23 year old Jaden. Naz, who is just scratching the surface of his considerable abilities, fits the Ant/Jaden trajectory.
I don't want any non-shooters in the rotation unless his name is Rudy Gobert. We are wasting Ant's biggest gift by constantly having him out there with players that allow the other team to plant a big in the paint. Rudy is one of those guys, but he does so many other things well that we need to keep him. But Kyle needs to go. He was great for a team trying to go from mediocre to really good. He becomes a problem when it comes to trying to win a title.
mjs34

Post by mjs34 »

Q-is-here wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:39 am

I don't want any non-shooters in the rotation unless his name is Rudy Gobert. We are wasting Ant's biggest gift by constantly having him out there with players that allow the other team to plant a big in the paint. Rudy is one of those guys, but he does so many other things well that we need to keep him. But Kyle needs to go. He was great for a team trying to go from mediocre to really good. He becomes a problem when it comes to trying to win a title.
I like the Tyus for Naz trade mainly because Tyus is one of those calming type players similar to Conley. He may not wow you with his box score, but he knows how to run a team. I think Kyle Anderson gives us the same and I like having intelligent guys on the floor. I would hope we could re-sign Kyle at a lower deal 12-15/2yr would seem reasonable.

Dallas doesn't have a problem creating space for Doncic with Lively on the floor, so maybe the problem is with Ant/Rudy combo. Finch needs to figure that out.
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

mjs34 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 12:58 pm

I like the Tyus for Naz trade mainly because Tyus is one of those calming type players similar to Conley. He may not wow you with his box score, but he knows how to run a team. I think Kyle Anderson gives us the same and I like having intelligent guys on the floor. I would hope we could re-sign Kyle at a lower deal 12-15/2yr would seem reasonable.

Dallas doesn't have a problem creating space for Doncic with Lively on the floor, so maybe the problem is with Ant/Rudy combo. Finch needs to figure that out.
That's because Doncic is a PhD in high and pick and roll basketball and can make any shot and any pass that the defense gives him in that action. Ant is like a freshman undergrad comparatively. Add to that Rudy's bad hands and awkwardness anywhere beyond 2 feet from the rim and there is only so much Finch can do with that pairing.
mjs34

Post by mjs34 »

Q-is-here wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 2:09 pm
mjs34 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 12:58 pm

That's because Doncic is a PhD in high and pick and roll basketball and can make any shot and any pass that the defense gives him in that action. Ant is like a freshman undergrad comparatively. Add to that Rudy's bad hands and awkwardness anywhere beyond 2 feet from the rim and there is only so much Finch can do with that pairing.
If that is the case, than maybe we need to move Rudy. Is this why others have said Rudy was played off the floor in the PO's? I don't see how we become a title contender if we can't make it work between two of our three highest paid players. I am mindful of the Rudy numbers you posted a few days back, but do his limitations limit the lineups we can put on the floor?

Is Finch handcuffed in what he can do offensively? I am not a huge fan of Finch's game-day/sideline coaching, but I don't know what he is like in practices and game planning. We seemed to really struggle making adjustments during the games.