Another new owner incoming

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Q-is-here

Re: Another new owner incoming

Post by Q-is-here »

FNG wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:44 am
Q-is-here wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:37 am
mjs34 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:13 am

Lip, I am thinking exactly the opposite. I find it hard to believe that the NBA doesn't have a copy of the contract between the two parties and yet they are waiting on the league approval process. What I continue to hear from Lore is that they secured funding and submitted paperwork to the NBA, but I never hear him state that they submitted documents and put the money in escrow for the purchase. If they had done that, they would have documents signed by Taylor.

You don't do a billion plus deal and rely on handshakes.

Bloomberg being anywhere near this scares the hell out of me. He has the kind of money to get almost anything he wants including a relocation.
Why do you think Bloomberg would want to move the team and where do you think he'd move it to?

He seems to pride himself on being kind of a visionary, so maybe...

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/telos ... index.html
Ha!
mjs34

Post by mjs34 »

Q-is-here wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:22 am
Q-is-here wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:37 am

Why do you think Bloomberg would want to move the team and where do you think he'd move it to?

Ha!
I am not suggesting that Bloomberg will move the team, but he certainly has the resources to make that happen.
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

mjs34 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 1:18 pm
Q-is-here wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:22 am

Ha!
I am not suggesting that Bloomberg will move the team, but he certainly has the resources to make that happen.
That doesn't make sense. Anyone that owns the team by definition has the resources to move it. And in fact they often get help by the city they are moving it to in the form of generous incentives.

As long as the Wolves keep winning and have Ant around, I don't see any move happening in the foreseeable future. Plus with expansion on the horizon, at least a couple of the more obvious relocation candidates will be getting a new franchise of their own.
Carlos Danger

Post by Carlos Danger »

Q-is-here wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 2:12 pm That doesn't make sense. Anyone that owns the team by definition has the resources to move it. And in fact they often get help by the city they are moving it to in the form of generous incentives.

As long as the Wolves keep winning and have Ant around, I don't see any move happening in the foreseeable future. Plus with expansion on the horizon, at least a couple of the more obvious relocation candidates will be getting a new franchise of their own.
I think some of us are just preparing ourselves for "the other shoe to drop". None of us know what that might be. But there always seems to be another shoe full of poo that drops eventually.

Abe laid out a good example (owners playing nice at first, then wanting a new tax payer funded arena or else). Again - not trying to fear monger or anything like that. I just have that feeling about a hidden agenda and apparently so do a couple other guys on here.

Don't forget...when this deal was first struck, I was promised JLo at Target Center for most home games. Guess what? Never happened! See what I'm talking about? :lol:
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Carlos Danger wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 3:08 pm
Q-is-here wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 2:12 pm That doesn't make sense. Anyone that owns the team by definition has the resources to move it. And in fact they often get help by the city they are moving it to in the form of generous incentives.

I think some of us are just preparing ourselves for "the other shoe to drop". None of us know what that might be. But there always seems to be another shoe full of poo that drops eventually.

Abe laid out a good example (owners playing nice at first, then wanting a new tax payer funded arena or else). Again - not trying to fear monger or anything like that. I just have that feeling about a hidden agenda and apparently so do a couple other guys on here.

Don't forget...when this deal was first struck, I was promised JLo at Target Center for most home games. Guess what? Never happened! See what I'm talking about? :lol:

Yeah. I don't mean to fearmonger... I've just been following pro sports for a few decades.

Target Center is old. The owners could make more money with a new arena. Most cities end up paying for a lot of the new arena investment... and the owners reap most of the benefits. Heck, I'd be more skeptical of this new potential ownership group if they did NOT ask for a largely publicly financed arena.

That doesn't mean the team is moving. Only that the veiled threat of the team moving is often part of getting this big deals across the finish line.

[Note: A guy who was closely connected to the pro stadium business told me a year ago that discussions about a new arena were already happening. No idea about the validity of it other than accepting him at his word... and no idea about how the sale/new owners have impacted that.]
DNatagal

Post by DNatagal »

I live in the DC area and Leonsis, owner of Caps and Wiz, announced he was moving both teams less than 30 miles to Northern VA. He didn't get a new arena, but he got $500M in improvements and other concessions from DC to stay.
mjs34

Post by mjs34 »

AbeVigodaLive wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 3:33 pm

Yeah. I don't mean to fearmonger... I've just been following pro sports for a few decades.

Target Center is old. The owners could make more money with a new arena. Most cities end up paying for a lot of the new arena investment... and the owners reap most of the benefits. Heck, I'd be more skeptical of this new potential ownership group if they did NOT ask for a largely publicly financed arena.

That doesn't mean the team is moving. Only that the veiled threat of the team moving is often part of getting this big deals across the finish line.

[Note: A guy who was closely connected to the pro stadium business told me a year ago that discussions about a new arena were already happening. No idea about the validity of it other than accepting him at his word... and no idea about how the sale/new owners have impacted that.]
During a recent Dane Moore podcast Jon K stated that Arod/Lore have mentioned a privately financed arena in the near future.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

mjs34 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 6:03 pm

During a recent Dane Moore podcast Jon K stated that Arod/Lore have mentioned a privately financed arena in the near future.

Yeah. I just heard about that from a couple of buddies last night. They also said that they already have the location picked out... but when the owner of that land was asked... he said he hasn't been contacted.

I don't know. But I should probably learn more about what's going on.

My buddies also wondered whether that statement was more of a PR move to get local support from fans. We'll see when it comes down to it whether any new arena would be publicly financed. I'd be SHOCKED if the people in charge don't at least try to get public money first.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

AbeVigodaLive wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 6:08 am
mjs34 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 6:03 pm

Yeah. I just heard about that from a couple of buddies last night. They also said that they already have the location picked out... but when the owner of that land was asked... he said he hasn't been contacted.

I don't know. But I should probably learn more about what's going on.

My buddies also wondered whether that statement was more of a PR move to get local support from fans. We'll see when it comes down to it whether any new arena would be publicly financed. I'd be SHOCKED if the people in charge don't at least try to get public money first.
Where is the location?
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

A couple things from all the reading and podcasts I have listened to on the situation. (Lip has actually covered a lot of this)

- Adding Bloomberg means nothing when it comes to arbitration with Glen. The A Rod/Lore camp now having more money does not effect the situation at all when it comes to arbitatiration. It comes down to did A Rod/Lore break the contract in any way and that is what will be decided on.

- Even if A Rod/Lore win Arbitration it does not mean they will own the team for sure. The owners have to vote. Now Bloomberg money might help that situation because the new owner should have more financial backing but we have to remember Glen has been friends with these people for a long time, Glen does not want to sell the team, will Glen owner friends actually agree to make A Rod/Lore the new owners. I personally think this is the biggest hurdle.

- Sure there is always a risk of the team moving but I will say the NBA does not want that and they are going to expand to Seattle and Vegas and with that each owner will get 300 million in expansion fees. They do not want the Wolves moving to Seattle or Vegas they want an expansion to Vegas.

- Main reason Bloomberg is involved is to buy out Glen if they win ownership. Sounds like whoever wins between Glen and A Rod side the other side is going to be bought out (For the better).

- I know there is going to be concerns of moving if Arod/Lore win. However it was mentioned that Bloomberg is a New Yorker and that is scary. I will say the Vikings Owner in the Wilfs are also New Yorkers and they have had great success building the Vikings organization in Minnesota.

- Based on podcasts and reports from Jon K. It sounds like A Rod group is operating like they own the team. They have had discussions about a new Target Center and for it to be privately funded. I know the rumor of the new arena would be Eagan and they want to create a Timberwolves village, and it is very unlikely that the twin cities would still have the Wolves going forward. A Rod group has also had discussions to get rid of Balleys and he wants to create it own "YES" network for Minnesota sports. Once again if they are able to privately fund the arena and get a TV Network done, that is a lot of long term financial potential for the new owners. So yes they might move the team, however they are doing a great job of hiding it with having conversations of plans in Minnesota

- Tim Connelly did not get a raise to 15 million he got about a 1.5 million dollar raise and his opt out is pretty much a Glen Taylor clause. If Glen retains the team Tim will opt out next year. Glen and Connelly just have a ok relationship at best.

- Bloomberg being added helps a ton for being able to pay the Lux tax however, there is still a lot of roster construction issues when in the 2nd apron. So yes one hurdle is solved in the financial aspect of the tax however roster construction is really hard. I will say I am expecting Slow Mo to be back on a 1 year deal bigger than expect because of that and they will use his contract to trade for multiple players next year (Just a prediction from me).

- At the end of the day I want Arod and Lore to run this team, I know Glen sucks. I like what Arod and Lore have done for this organization. If they fuck us I will be super sad but I can't do the Glen era again. Also I think moving the team is such a small possibility from everything I said above.

- Carlos mentioned the "No Moving Clause" Glen wanted with A Rod/Lore and that is not legally possible to put in. It was verbally agreed on but that is just like Glen looking Wiggins in the eye asking if he would try hard. It means nothing