2024 Wolves Draft thread

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Wolvesfan21

Re: 2024 Wolves Draft thread

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

Q-is-here wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 2:21 pm
Wolvesfan21 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 2:09 pm Don't forget we got Jaylen Clark (stud defender from UCLA) coming up who was out last year because of an achilles injury. We could get some production from him if everything goes good. Finch said he reminds him of Jaden. Jaylen is 6-4 but a 6-9 wingspan.
I have no doubt he could be a great, if not elite, NBA defender. It all comes down to his ability to make open 3s. He is totally useless if he can't, as we already have the #1 defense and a mediocre offense without him. What good is an elite defender that can't shoot at this point?
No doubt his offense is the key factor if he can get minutes. We'll see. We might need a replacement in a year for NAW (he seems more NAW replacement like) and also Kyle may leave this offseason too. So minutes will be available in the 8-10 range depth wise for sure. NAW I think just has one year left on his deal. He'll get a bigger raise if he plays well.
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

Wolvesfan21 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 5:00 pm
Q-is-here wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 2:21 pm
Wolvesfan21 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 2:09 pm Don't forget we got Jaylen Clark (stud defender from UCLA) coming up who was out last year because of an achilles injury. We could get some production from him if everything goes good. Finch said he reminds him of Jaden. Jaylen is 6-4 but a 6-9 wingspan.
I have no doubt he could be a great, if not elite, NBA defender. It all comes down to his ability to make open 3s. He is totally useless if he can't, as we already have the #1 defense and a mediocre offense without him. What good is an elite defender that can't shoot at this point?
No doubt his offense is the key factor if he can get minutes. We'll see. We might need a replacement in a year for NAW (he seems more NAW replacement like) and also Kyle may leave this offseason too. So minutes will be available in the 8-10 range depth wise for sure. NAW I think just has one year left on his deal. He'll get a bigger raise if he plays well.
Totally agree that he is a potential NAW replacement, but NAW has some offensive chops both in terms of shooting and creation (not great, but adequate I'd say) that Clark never demonstrated at the college level, so I'm a bit skeptical of him reaching that level. Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to seeing him in summer league play.
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

I expect Clark to get a ton of G league minutes next year. I don't see him as a threat for the rotation.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

I have absolutely no confidence in getting anything meaningful from Jaylen Clark next season or anytime thereafter. After watching him laughing it up with Moore on the bench game after game, I’m ready to send him and his Achilles on to another team for a future 2nd round pick.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Phenom wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 11:56 am I saw that Juan Nunez says he worked out for Wolves and Bucks. Spanish point guard who is competing for a spot on Spain's national team with Wolves legends Ricky Rubio and Lorenzo Brown.
Please - No more European PGs!
Wolvesfan21

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

Lipoli390 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:55 pm
I have absolutely no confidence in getting anything meaningful from Jaylen Clark next season or anytime thereafter. After watching him laughing it up with Moore on the bench game after game, I’m ready to send him and his Achilles on to another team for a future 2nd round pick.
We'll see how he does in summer and G league. I'd send Moore packing and see if JC straightens up his act. Moore looks like a lost cause at this point anyways. Add another rookie PG to replace Moore.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

If drafting is like throwing darts at a dartboard then why on earth to NBA teams pay multiple millions on Presidents of Basketball Operations, GMs, Assistant GMs and scouts. NBA owners could simply put up dart boards with names of all the prospects and starting tossing their darts. Or if they wanted to be more analytical, perhaps they could look at the multiple draft boards on line and make them picks based on those.

I’m not willing to let TC or any other NBA front office off the hook based on the view that drafting is largely a game of chance. Sure, it’s not an exact science. But there are good front office organizations and bad ones; some front office execs better than others. The Wolves have had a lot of bad front office regimes. The Rosas regime proved to be a step up from past regimes. Yes, he made some mistakes - Culver, Juancho, the DLO deal. But he made some terrific moves drafting Edwards and Jalen as well as signing Naz and JMac. So far TC is a mixed bag but generally a pleasant upgrade from our long history of front office duds. Sadly, I have to include Flip on the list of bad presidents of basketball ops.
Sundog

Post by Sundog »

I think you’re all missing the fact that this season will be the season that Wendell Moore breaks out of the chains Finch has wrapped him in, to capture a regular spot in the rotation, providing meaningful production at the point, or the 2 … oh hell, I don’t know what position he plays because he has sucked so bad.

But not this year! “Dell-y! Dell-y! Dell-y!” Can’t you just hear the crowds chanting his name?
Sundog

Post by Sundog »

But seriously… look at the players that were drafted after Moore and ask yourselves how confident you are in Tim Connelly re: the draft…

27. Heat draft Nikola Jovic (Mega Mozzart)
28. Warriors draft Patrick Baldwin Jr. (Milwaukee)
29. Grizzlies draft TyTy Washington Jr. (Kentucky) — Traded to HOU
30. Thunder draft Peyton Watson (UCLA) — Traded to DEN

2ND ROUND:
31. Pacers draft Andrew Nembhard (Gonzaga)
32. Magic draft Caleb Houstan (Michigan)
33. Raptors draft Christian Koloko (Arizona)
34. Thunder draft Jaylin Williams (Arkansas)
35. Lakers draft Max Christie (Michigan State)
36. Blazers draft Gabriele Procida (Fortitudo Bologna) — Traded to DET
37. Kings draft Jaden Hardy (G League Ignite) — Traded to DAL
Wolvesfan21

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

The thing with luck (throwing darts blindfolded) is getting good luck too. We're the Bucks pretty much just lucky to hit on Giannis at 15 or whatever? Possibly. They also needed 14 other teams to pass on him (lucky). Just like GSW was lucky "we" were idiots passing on Curry. I for sure know their is some skill in drafting and developing players. Had we drafted Curry just think how that changes NBA history. One move is that important. I think that is why these guys get paid well.

Was Tim lucky drafting Jokic. Again it's possible. It's really hard to know without being in that room. We're they super happy he was there? We're they split between two guys? IDK???

So maybe some front offices do just get lucky. It's hard with small sample sizes. You can't just judge a guy on one or two picks late in the first or second round. But maybe at the top of the draft, you really better be on your A game. You don't have excuses at that point as you have the pick of anyone. Not relying on 15 or 25 teams passing on a guy.