2024 Wolves Draft thread

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Lipoli390

Re: 2024 Wolves Draft thread

Post by Lipoli390 »

Reed Sheppard is my favorite player in the draft. His FG and 3-point shooting percentages (53.6%, 52.1%) are incredible with plenty of volume behind them. He’s also an elite ball thief averaging 2.5 steals per game. Add to that his 4.5 assists and 4.1 rebounds and you have a statistical phenom as a college player - especially unbelievable for a freshman. He’s small, but a tremendous athlete with a 40.5” max vertical. He should be the top pick in the draft in my view and the two or three teams that pass on him will regret it.

At the same time, it’s hard not to be almost as impressed by Devin Carter. He has excellent shooting numbers but he takes it to another level with his 8.7 rebounds per game as a PG. Wow!

Both of these guys are trading up for even though it would mean giving up Rudy or KAT along with our two picks. I don’t think the Hawks are anxious to rebuild. Therefore, I think they’d love the idea of acquiring KAT and adding him to their line up with Murray, Trae Young and Hunter. I can envision dealing our two pick plus KAT for their #1 pick, Capela and Bogdanovic.
Wolvesfan21

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

Q-is-here wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 6:40 pm
Wolvesfan21 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 5:58 pm
WildWolf2813 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 12:44 pm

Always one eye on today and one eye on tomorrow.

Yes, we need plug and play guys. We also need guys who we can envision being here for a long time, regardless of whether Gobert is around for it. This franchise won't have the means to go out a get really promising young talent. Can we find someone to help us today? Sure. Would it be very beneficial to have someone who can eventually succeed Mike Conley? Absolutely, because at a certain point, they'll run out of options and just pretend Ant can be our Luka Doncic and he's not.
The issue is still the playmaking with Ant (compared to Luka, prime LeBron, etc...). I really don't think he'll ever come close to their skillful passing and playmaking. Though he took a nice step this year. I doubt for instance he can avg 10 assists PG over a season and still get his 25+. I'd be super happy with 30/8/8 or so as a peak season. I think that is possible.

The other thing to remember is that Ant plays great defense. Luka rests WAY more on defense (is trash pretty much) so he can avg those 34/9/10 numbers. I think it's hard to simply have the energy and stamina to be that great on defense and the best on offense too. I've been watching LeBron for 7-8 years take naps on defense for instance. But he has been in his 30's / late 30's also.

Giannis maybe has been a guy who has taken a huge load on both sides. I can't think of many guys who are elite defenders and elite on offense also. Say top 10 in the NBA on both sides. Embiid maybe also, when he has been healthy. Jokic is not. Solid on defense, for sure not top 10.
Kawhi Leonard over his last few years in San Antonio was probably pretty damn close to top 10 on both sides of the ball. You have to go back a ways to Jordan and Kobe to find two-way wings that were elite at both ends. Most guys today have to sacrifice a little on one end.

Back to Ant and our draft needs....there is definitely a case to be made that getting another dynamic lead guard type that can put pressure on the defense without having to be set-up would be very helpful and share the load with Ant. I'm just not sure there is anyone in this draft that can actually grow into that type of player which is why "settling" for a guy like Kolek may be more prudent.
Kawhi for sure was one in his day. Nice catch! You're probably right that you have to go back to MJ and Kobe. I was thinking of them and struggling to find recent wings who would be considered elite on both ends, maybe Paul George at one time, as a PG Chris Paul. Gary Payton maybe? Not sure he was good enough on offense though.

I think that it is super tough to be elite on both. Which is why many guys like Luka or Harden are or have been terrific on offense, but basically rest on defense. I love that Ant is great on both sides. I actually would say his defense is better then his offense right now. Just maybe that caused him to run out of steam when facing the Mavs. Trying to guard Kyrie and then score on the other end too.
rapsuperstar31

Post by rapsuperstar31 »

From Jake Fisher of Yahoo sports.

The Nets have been active in attempts to try to trade into this week’s draft, according to league sources, as Brooklyn does not currently own a selection. The Nets have called front offices with selections as early as the 20s, sources said, as many teams appear to be open for business to move out of the first entirely, down a flew slots or into the second round.

Phoenix at No. 22, New York at No. 25, Minnesota at No. 27, Utah at No. 29, and Boston with No. 30 are weighing various trade scenarios, sources said, in both directions along the draft board.

[Sidery] The Suns and Jazz have had discussions around a draft pick trade centered around No. 22 overall for Nos. 29 and 32. Phoenix would ideally like to add two cost-controlled prospects on cheap contracts that might impact their rotation immediately
WildWolf2813

Post by WildWolf2813 »

Not sure there's anyone worth trading up for, but we have to see how the draft shakes out.
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

Another little tidbit on Scheirman....He played football all through High School and threw for 59 TDs and 300 yards per game his senior year on his way to a Class C state football title in Nebraska.

I will always give bonus points to a prospect that played multiple sports in middle school/high school, as I think it helps them become a more well rounded b-ball player and overall competitor. It shouldn't surprise us that he was a good passer and rebounder at Creighton in addition to being a great shooter.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Coolbreeze44 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 8:02 pm
Lipoli390 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 7:20 pm
FNG wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 2:42 pm Great thread guys...best draft thread I've seen in this forum. In other years it seemed like one or two posters would get focused on just one guy, and the thread would turn into a sales pitch for that guy (and often that guy turned out to be a disaster!). This year's thread is much more balanced and informational, and I appreciate that having not watched that much college basketball this season.

I continue to promote not drafting a PG (unless somehow we could move way up and get Reed Shephard, and I don't think that is feasible). Conley is getting old, but I still think we are as set at PG as any team with two competent game manager type guys behind him. Plus, I don't think you'll find "the PG of the future" late in the first round). Some of the names I've seen in mocks going to the Wolves don't seem like an upgrade over the two backups we have now. Kolek for instance had a nice senior year at Marquette, but looks like JMac with a shorter wingspan to me.

So I guess you guys have convinced me that Scheierman is the guy at 27 if he's still there. Sure he's older than most in the draft, but he's a guy that could easily be a rotation player in his rookie year. Great shooter, rebounder and facilitator, and although he doesn't project to be a terrific on-ball defender, he reportedly is an excellent team defender. He would be my choice.

If we bring everyone back, I don't know that we have room for anyone we pick at 37. I'd be looking to trade it for a pick in a future year, or maybe look for a European with some upside that we can stash.
As I see it this team has three needs: (1) a knock-down 3-point shooter off the bench; (2) another player who can share some of Ant’s shot-creation responsibilities; and (3) a long term replacement for Conley who can also potentially back him up next season.

Reed Sheppard and Devin Carter are the two players who would fill all three needs, but both will be top 10 pick. I think we could trade up for either if we’re willing to package KAT with both our picks. I’d do it for either of those two because I think they could help next season and be stars down road forming phenomenal core with Ant, Jaden and Naz.

As I see it, Scheierman only fills one of our three needs - namely scoring/shooting off the bench. He’s not a PG obviously and I don’t see him as a shot creator, although I do see a little Luka in him when watching his highlights so who knows. And I love his rebounding. So I like him a lot. But Kolek looks like he offers what Scheierman provides while also potentially becoming a backup and future starting PG. He’s the best playmaker in the draft and seems to play bigger than he is averaging 5 rebounds per game. His position as a playmaking PG gives him the edge over Scheierman in my view. Carrington and Terrence Shannon excite me more than Scheierman or Kolek because of their athleticism and upside and I think either could help us off the bench by the second half of next season. But neither one has shown the ability yet to consistently hit from behind the college arc.

I think we’ll probably have to trade up at least a few slots to get Kolek or Scheierman and a few more slots to get Carrington or Terrence Shannon, especially the former. In my view, TC can’t let this draft pass without ending up with at least one of these four, which will probably mean packaging 27 and 37 at a minimum and perhaps including Moore, Minott or Miller. Ideally, Scheierman will fall to us at 27 and KJ Simpson will be available eat 37.

Again, if it were up to me, I’d trade KAT or Rudy in a bold move to get Reed or Devin, but TC’s not going to consider doing that. So I’m focusing in on Kolek, Scheierman, Carrington and Shannon while also being intrigued by KJ.
Lip, I think you're missing one thing on your list that could negate the need for your #3. That is maximizing our chances of winning the championship NEXT YEAR. I don't feel a long term replacement for Conley is a big need today. We are a contender and I want us to focus on making next years team as loaded as possible. We only have so many bullets in the chamber, we have to make the most of them. It's the same line of thinking I have on trading KAT or Rudy for a development guy. Why? This is not a good draft to begin with, you might be overthinking this.
Good points, Cool. I’m probably overthinking this a bit as you noted.

I think my interest in trading up for Reed or Devin comes from my view that it’s unlikely this team can advance further next season or even go as far as last season.

OKC has already improved and they have picks and flexibility they can use to improve even more this summer. Denver will be back - likely with a renewed vigor. The Clippers remain dangerous if Leonard and Paul George can stay healthy. Dallas will begin next season as the team they were at the end of this season. Houston could make a breakthrough with their picks and young talent. And the Celtics will remain a juggernaut. I think this team’s current core hit its ceiling this past season and the 2nd apron prevents us from measurably improving the team around its current core. Hence, my view that we should consider making a bold move that re-tools around Ant, Jaden and Naz to set us up for a series of sustained title runs starting in a couple years. That’s why I’d be interested in trading KAT or Rudy to get high enough in the draft to snag Reed or Devin.

We’re in a position where we can re-tool for the near and long-term future without taking a huge step backwards. If we trade KAT or Rudy, we’ll still have the one we don’t trade along with Ant, Jaden and Naz. If we make the right trade, like the one I suggested with Atlanta, we’ll get two very good players in Capela and Bogdanovic for next season AND get below the second apron before next season, which would give us more room to maneuver. I don’t feel strongly about doing this, but that’s where I’m coming from.

More realistically, I see us running it back and that means relying on pretty much exactly the same personnel we had last season. If we can get Scheierman at #27 or by combining our two picks to move up a few slots, then that’s probably the more sound route to take if we want to take full advantage of the core we currently have for another run at making the NBA finals and winning a championship next season. I think Scheierman could help us next season as a rookie, at least by the second half of the season, with his shooting, rebounding and high basketball IQ.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Q-is-here wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 10:09 pm Another little tidbit on Scheirman....He played football all through High School and threw for 59 TDs and 300 yards per game his senior year on his way to a Class C state football title in Nebraska.

I will always give bonus points to a prospect that played multiple sports in middle school/high school, as I think it helps them become a more well rounded b-ball player and overall competitor. It shouldn't surprise us that he was a good passer and rebounder at Creighton in addition to being a great shooter.
Interesting info, Q. Thanks for sharing. I also give bonus points to multi-sport prospects. And I give extra bonus points to a basketball prospect who played football. It tells me the player has some toughness and that’s another thing the Wolves need. So I’m getting more and more set on drafting Scheierman if we have the chance.

I’ll note that Scheierman has decent length, especially for a SG, with an 8’6.5 overhead reach and 6’8.25 wingspan. He’s not much of a leaper with a 32.0” max vertical, but he appears to have terrific lateral quickness as evidenced by his excellent 10.89 time in the combine agility drill. He had an exceptional 2.94 time in the shuttle drill and a superb sprint time of 3.09. Those are all elite numbers both historically and compared to others in this draft class. In other words, Scheierman has exceptional quickness both straight ahead and laterally. He becomes a very exciting prospect when you view those outstanding physical athletic attributes with his obvious shooting skill, rebounding knack and reputed high basketball IQ.
FNG

Post by FNG »

Lipoli390 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 11:43 pm
Q-is-here wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 10:09 pm Another little tidbit on Scheirman....He played football all through High School and threw for 59 TDs and 300 yards per game his senior year on his way to a Class C state football title in Nebraska.

Interesting info, Q. Thanks for sharing. I also give bonus points to multi-sport prospects. And I give extra bonus points to a basketball prospect who played football. It tells me the player has some toughness and that’s another thing the Wolves need. So I’m getting more and more set on drafting Scheierman if we have the chance.

I’ll note that Scheierman has decent length, especially for a SG, with an 8’6.5 overhead reach and 6’8.25 wingspan. He’s not much of a leaper with a 32.0” max vertical, but he appears to have terrific lateral quickness as evidenced by his excellent 10.89 time in the combine agility drill. He had an exceptional 2.94 time in the shuttle drill and a superb sprint time of 3.09. Those are all elite numbers both historically and compared to others in this draft class. In other words, Scheierman has exceptional quickness both straight ahead and laterally. He becomes a very exciting prospect when you view those outstanding physical athletic attributes with his obvious shooting skill, rebounding knack and reputed high basketball IQ.
I watched an interview with him yesterday during which he talked about his high school career as a baseball and football player in addition to basketball. He said his team was so good, he was usually on the bench by halftime because they were so far ahead...even in the state championship game. He said his stats would have been much better if he had been allowed to play more in the second half! He's certainly a confident guy...almost bordering on cocky, but not quite. That's a trait I like in a guy you want taking that corner three in a close game.
Sundog

Post by Sundog »

As we look ahead to the draft this week, I realize I’m overlooking one of last year’s picks, Jaylen Clark. I know Lip is down on the guy because he seems to goof off sometimes on the bench, a la Delly Moore. But this guy was an absolute dog in college and his offensive game was developing. Here’s one pre-draft snippet (from NBA.com):

“Clark earned Naismith Defensive Player of the Year honors in addition to his second consecutive Pac-12 All-Defensive Team nod. Clark averaged 13.0 points, 6.0 rebounds, 1.9 assists and 2.6 steals per game while shooting 48.1% from the field and 32.9% from deep. His defensive acumen helped guide UCLA to the second-best adjusted defensive efficiency in the country. Despite getting surgery in early March, Clark opted to keep his name in the NBA draft pool.

Analysis

Clark measured 6-foot-4 with a 6-foot-9 wingspan at the NBA Combine. His athleticism, technique, and turnover-forcing skills on defense are rare. Clark is strong with impressive agility. He also graded as one of the better pick-and-roll ballhandlers in the country this season. Clark is a righty who is comfortable finishing everywhere around the basket. He shot 67.4% at the rim in 2022-23, fueled by good off-ball activity and a handle that allows him to knife inside fluidly.”

And Finch compared him to McDaniels earlier this month:

“How good can Clark be if he has a role next season and who does his style of play compare to best? According to Timberwolves head coach Chris Finch, the best comparison for Clark's game is Timberwolves forward Jaden McDaniels.

"Jaylen is not really in the point guard mode, he's more in the wing defender mode. His shot is improving," Finch said on FM 100.3 KFAN on Thursday. "He's more Jaden McDaniels than he is anyone else. That's probably the most direct comp.”
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

Sundog wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 6:46 am As we look ahead to the draft this week, I realize I’m overlooking one of last year’s picks, Jaylen Clark. I know Lip is down on the guy because he seems to goof off sometimes on the bench, a la Delly Moore. But this guy was an absolute dog in college and his offensive game was developing. Here’s one pre-draft snippet (from NBA.com):

“Clark earned Naismith Defensive Player of the Year honors in addition to his second consecutive Pac-12 All-Defensive Team nod. Clark averaged 13.0 points, 6.0 rebounds, 1.9 assists and 2.6 steals per game while shooting 48.1% from the field and 32.9% from deep. His defensive acumen helped guide UCLA to the second-best adjusted defensive efficiency in the country. Despite getting surgery in early March, Clark opted to keep his name in the NBA draft pool.

Analysis

Clark measured 6-foot-4 with a 6-foot-9 wingspan at the NBA Combine. His athleticism, technique, and turnover-forcing skills on defense are rare. Clark is strong with impressive agility. He also graded as one of the better pick-and-roll ballhandlers in the country this season. Clark is a righty who is comfortable finishing everywhere around the basket. He shot 67.4% at the rim in 2022-23, fueled by good off-ball activity and a handle that allows him to knife inside fluidly.”

And Finch compared him to McDaniels earlier this month:

“How good can Clark be if he has a role next season and who does his style of play compare to best? According to Timberwolves head coach Chris Finch, the best comparison for Clark's game is Timberwolves forward Jaden McDaniels.

"Jaylen is not really in the point guard mode, he's more in the wing defender mode. His shot is improving," Finch said on FM 100.3 KFAN on Thursday. "He's more Jaden McDaniels than he is anyone else. That's probably the most direct comp.”
Good find Sundog. For all the picks we traded away in the Rudy deal, we still find ourselves with almost a glut of young players that likely won't see much playing time next season if we keep both our picks this year: Moore Jr., Minott, Miller, Clark, this year's 1st rounder, this year's 2nd rounder. That's a 5-man squad + a 6th man!

I really think we either trade our 2nd rounder for a future 2nd rounder or bundle it with the 1st to move up in the draft.

Back to Clark....He's either going to be Josh Okogie or some version of NAW/Jaden. It 100% depends on his ability to make the open 3, as there is no doubt he's a dog defensively.