Will the Vikings ever draft and develop a quarterback?

One Stop Spot For All Vikings Related News
Wolvesfan21

Re: Will the Vikings ever draft and develop a quarterback?

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

Wolvesfan21 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:52 pm
thedoper wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:28 pm
60WinTim wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:49 am

A year and a half later and I think your gonna get your wish! :D
I might actually start watching the games again. I checked out in the Cousins years, Id like to just get back to a rough and tumble D and some homegrown talent on the offensive side. Mark me back on the wagon.
I was checked out pretty much last year also. I just didn't care because really, they had no real chance to win it all.

From what I've seen and I've watched a bit of most the QB's getting drafted. I really like JJ Mccarthy and Daniels. It sucks because others caught on too and it seems like both are top picks (could go top 3). I don't really like Drake, just seeing him make so many poor decisions like against the Gophers. I think he had 3 picks. He probably needs a year to study and develop. He has talent and skill though. Not the mental make up yet. He will likely get shredded if asked to play right away.

I watched a lot of Nix and never thought he was NFL caliber. Probably 6-7 games I've seen. IDK he doesn't do anything really well. Seems destined to probably end up as a backup type. I honestly never thought, man that dude has skills. Never once thought I wanted him as a Vike. Reminds my of the Mond pick I didn't like. Could be wrong sure. Second rounder at best.

Pennix has the arm but man. His offense was stacked last season. Top offensive line and great WR's. Reminds me of Mac Jones who had everything perfect for him at Bama and I was super sketch if he could play when things are not great. Hard to say if he can be a good pro. I wouldn't mind him in the second round if they like him. He has upside but well see.
Vikings had there best first round draft ever since Randy Moss which I loved.

Finally a QB I like (wasn't a fan of Ponder, hated the pick, trading for Bradford, hated the trade, Teddy pick was good (didn't work out). JJ is younger and more upside then Nix and Pennix, has shown plenty of skill, athleticism, arm strength and accuracy. Won on the highest level he's been on. Helped to turn Michigans program around really to win a Natty. I really love him. We comin!

Dallas is a freakin monster athlete, he runs 4.4 as a 250 pounder, another potential superstar pick. He has the highest ceiling for all DE's. Could be a top 5 DE in the league possibly. How 9 teams passed on JJ and 15 others passed on DT is astoudning.

Great job Vikes.
Monster

Re: Will the Vikings ever draft and develop a quarterback?

Post by Monster »

When I reviewed QBs I didn't have McCarthy that high but I liked him more than Pennix and Nix although I actually liked Nix and would have been fine if we had landed him instead of giving up a bunch of stuff to move up. I get Maye has talent but he just looked sort of all over the place with his footwork and looked really raw to me. The way things landed getting McCarthy without giving up any significant assets was awesome and then they went up and got a significant pass rushee which was a big need. They added some other intriguing talent as well plus because they didn't use as many draft picks likely had room for other guys.

What seems to be underrated about McCarthy is his physical gifts. I think Darnold having success is a bit underrated as well. He actually did some good things in Carolina and is mobile which the Vikings clearly value and he is gonna be better at sneaks etc on 4th down. I'm not saying he is gonna have a 2023 Baker Mayfield season but I would not be shocked if he does reasonably well and then the Vikings would be in line for another high comp pick although that may not happen since they have a bunch of cap space next off-season.

As for 3 wr imo Powell was simply better than KJ last year. Nailer has looked promising but can't stay healthy. It seems like they must like one other young guys of the like 40 WRs they have on their roster. Meanwhile they are loaded with guys at TE. I'd like to see them bring back Cam Akers but he may be able to go somewhere else with a better path than being behind 2 guys. There will be vet WR options available if they really decide they need one. A couple guys signed for pretty decent money so some of those WR might be holding out for a decent 1 year pay day or for a good opportunity where they get a chance to shine.