2024 NBA Draft Day One GDT

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Lipoli390

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Day One GDT

Post by Lipoli390 »

I have no idea what TC’s going to do. I didn’t see the deal for Dillingham happening. I didn’t see the Miller deal coming last year. And was completely shocked by the Gobert deal the year before. I hope the Dillingham pick turns out to be a gem. So far, TC’s judgment for draft talent as head of the Wolves basketball department has been really bad. But he’s due. :)
KG4Ever

Post by KG4Ever »

Lipoli390 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:34 pm Four picks left before 27. Schiereman and Shannon are still available.
So is Kolek!
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Love to see AJ Johnson get drafted in the first round. He came to the draft even though he wasn’t invited to the green room. I love it!
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

KG4Ever wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:37 pm
Lipoli390 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:34 pm Four picks left before 27. Schiereman and Shannon are still available.
So is Kolek!
I just don’t see the point of drafting Kolek or any PG right now after trading up for Dillingham.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Lipoli390 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:32 pm
Q-is-here wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:26 pm
Phenom wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:09 pm

There were many instances last year where Ant needed someone to take the ball and take the attention of the defense.
Agreed Phenom. While we have scoring bigs in KAT and Naz, it just isn't the same as a perimeter player that can break down a defense off the dribble and create for himself or others. The "take turns" Tatum/Brown and Doncic/Irving pairings seemed to work pretty well!

That being said, Dillingham truly does have to get better defensively and fill out more. That is a legit concern. Without that, his ceiling might be 6th man bench scorer (which is still an important role).
Some physical comparisons:

Dillingham: 6’1, 165, 6’3 wingspan
Mike Conley: 5’11, 175, 6’5.75 wingspan
Steph Curry: 6’2, 181, 6’3.25 wingspan
Trae Young: 6’1, 178, 6’3 wingspan

It would seem his length is fine given his elite skills and apparent quickness. But that weight seems problematic. Conley was only 10 pounds heavier coming out of college, but he was 10 pounds heavier. :). And Conley has a significantly bigger wingspan that Dillingham. So we’ll see. I still really like the move and the pick. But I still would have preferred Devin Carter or Carlton Carrington.
I'm not all in on the pick but again I will point out none of those guys shot almost 45% from 3 in any college season. Remember another UK guard Maxey was a sub 30% 3 point shooter in college.
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

Phenom wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:09 pm

There were many instances last year where Ant needed someone to take the ball and take the attention of the defense.
Agreed Phenom. While we have scoring bigs in KAT and Naz, it just isn't the same as a perimeter player that can break down a defense off the dribble and create for himself or others. The "take turns" Tatum/Brown and Doncic/Irving pairings seemed to work pretty well!

That being said, Dillingham truly does have to get better defensively and fill out more. That is a legit concern. Without that, his ceiling might be 6th man bench scorer (which is still an important role).

It would seem his length is fine given his elite skills and apparent quickness. But that weight seems problematic. Conley was only 10 pounds heavier coming out of college, but he was 10 pounds heavier. :). And Conley has a significantly bigger wingspan that Dillingham. So we’ll see. I still really like the move and the pick. But I still would have preferred Devin Carter or Carlton Carrington.
...and Conley and Trae Young have struggled to get even to a Conference Finals, so it's not like their size doesn't eventually catch up to them in the playoffs. When our standards were "for the love of God can we just make the playoffs!?" Billingham would be a home run. When the standards are trying to win a title, small-ish guards are kind of a problem late in the playoffs. He absolutely needs to add weight.
WildWolf2813

Post by WildWolf2813 »

Scheierman is so close…
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

WildWolf2813 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:41 pm Scheierman is so close…
Fingers crossed - The dream is still alive!
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Q-is-here wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:39 pm

...and Conley and Trae Young have struggled to get even to a Conference Finals, so it's not like their size doesn't eventually catch up to them in the playoffs. When our standards were "for the love of God can we just make the playoffs!?" Billingham would be a home run. When the standards are trying to win a title, small-ish guards are kind of a problem late in the playoffs. He absolutely needs to add weight.
Yes, and that’s my concern, Q. Trading up to #8 we could have drafted Devin Carter, Nikola Topic or Carlton Carrington. All three have terrific offensive skills but also have the size to compete defensively in the NBA. The more I reflect on this the more troubled I am by pick.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Q-is-here wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:39 pm

Was those guys size the reason they didn't advance or the teams they were on?

One thing interesting about this trade up for Dillingham is that the Wolves have at times seemingly been more interested in size and positional versatility with size. So for them to trade up and take a guard like this is a little bit surprising but also a positive as they aren't against taking a player they think is good regardless of a guy being smaller.