Olympic basketball thread

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
60WinTim

Re: Olympic basketball thread

Post by 60WinTim »

Q-is-here wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 3:07 pm
kekgeek wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 2:33 pm Ant playing elite defense today
What a great experience for Ant. Him having to come off the bench as a key role player for Team USA with a bunch of more established stars ahead of him seems like the perfect thing for him at this stage in his superstar maturation process.

Although I do find it funny how Kerr is having to twist himself into a pretzel to placate Tatum, whereas the youngest player on the squad (Ant) has a set role and could probably start over Booker if Kerr wasn't also trying to placate him!
Watching "point ANT" has been really great, too.

Curry has been pretty bad, especially on the defensive end. I assume that is the Kerr favoritism coming through that keeps him in the starting lineup. Actually, if LeBron wasn't carry that starting lineup, they would be pretty bad!
BloopOracle

Post by BloopOracle »

Down goes France! Gobert is a complete zero on the court offensively when he doesn't have a capable guard teammate.
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

BloopOracle wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 5:26 pm Down goes France! Gobert is a complete zero on the court offensively when he doesn't have a capable guard teammate.
I think France still makes it out of the group phase, but yeah, Rudy and NAW have been mostly non-factors offensively from what I can tell (I haven't been watching the games).

The Wolves' front office did the right thing trying to pivot toward more offense this offseason!
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

Q-is-here wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 6:04 pm
BloopOracle wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 5:26 pm Down goes France! Gobert is a complete zero on the court offensively when he doesn't have a capable guard teammate.
I think France still makes it out of the group phase, but yeah, Rudy and NAW have been mostly non-factors offensively from what I can tell (I haven't been watching the games).

The Wolves' front office did the right thing trying to pivot toward more offense this offseason!
USA, France, Germany, Canada, Australia, the winner of Serbia/South Sudan have advanced

Brazil has locked up a wild card

Greece/South Sudan/Serbia can be the second wild card

Serbia is in if they win or don’t lose by 25 or more
South Sudan is in if they win or don’t lose by 2 or more
Greece is in if the team that loses the game above lose by the points what I have mentioned above.

For France. Rudy and Wemby just are so awkward offensively. Wemby can’t space like Kat can. Also the France guards have been so terrible. Not even kidding them not adding Fifi for off the bench scoring might end up being a killer.

Naw played great defense today especially in the 3rd but man his offense has been non existent all tournament
Monster

Post by Monster »

kekgeek wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 8:51 pm
Q-is-here wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 6:04 pm

USA, France, Germany, Canada, Australia, the winner of Serbia/South Sudan have advanced

Brazil has locked up a wild card

Greece/South Sudan/Serbia can be the second wild card

Serbia is in if they win or don’t lose by 25 or more
South Sudan is in if they win or don’t lose by 2 or more
Greece is in if the team that loses the game above lose by the points what I have mentioned above.

For France. Rudy and Wemby just are so awkward offensively. Wemby can’t space like Kat can. Also the France guards have been so terrible. Not even kidding them not adding Fifi for off the bench scoring might end up being a killer.

Naw played great defense today especially in the 3rd but man his offense has been non existent all tournament
A few days ago I was thinking about France and while I often don't want to discount how good some guys can be that don't play in the NBA if Fournier is washed as some have suggested then France may just have 3 NBA players and none of them are guards and certainly none of them are dynamic guards. Germany has some NBA players and Schroeder is no stranger to lighting it up in international play. That also makes me think how it made sense to add another legit perimeter scorer to the Wolves roster this off-season.
BloopOracle

Post by BloopOracle »

Anthony Edwards, best player on the court today plain and simple.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

BloopOracle wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2024 11:43 am Anthony Edwards, best player on the court today plain and simple.
He’s been special
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

kekgeek wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2024 11:48 am
BloopOracle wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2024 11:43 am Anthony Edwards, best player on the court today plain and simple.
He’s been special
This is the first Olympic b-ball game I have actually watched this cycle and he indeed looked great. Most of what he did was in the flow of the offense, but he eventually took one too many heat checks as Ant is wont to do when hot and Kerr pulled him from the game (it should be noted that the game was well in hand at that point).
KG4Ever

Post by KG4Ever »

Honestly, I don't like all the hype Ant's getting. And so what if he was leading scorer against Puerto Rico, who doesn't even have a starting NBA player among its roster. Its like Ant cooking against G Leaguers. I'd like to see more assists and rebounds out of Ant. I prefer that Ant stays grounded. A big headed Ant may leave Minnesota and those Dillingham picks will be gold for Spurs. Well, at least that's my fear.
WildWolf2813

Post by WildWolf2813 »

KG4Ever wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2024 3:01 pm Honestly, I don't like all the hype Ant's getting. And so what if he was leading scorer against Puerto Rico, who doesn't even have a starting NBA player among its roster. Its like Ant cooking against G Leaguers. I'd like to see more assists and rebounds out of Ant. I prefer that Ant stays grounded. A big headed Ant may leave Minnesota and those Dillingham picks will be gold for Spurs. Well, at least that's my fear.
This is like choosing to marry an ugly woman because she won't get catcalled and realize she has options.

If anything, hope Rob is good enough to join Ant in 4 years.

Prior to this last decade, the Wolves only had 3 players stick around this franchise longer than 7 years: West, Garnett, Mitchell.

Now we can add Rubio, Towns, and we've built a situation that allows us to add Edwards, McDaniels, and potentially Reid to that list.