last roster spots (most of these players will be sent to Iowa)

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Monster

last roster spots (most of these players will be sent to Iowa)

Post by Monster »

the Wolves currently have 17 players signed with an open roster spot. Teams can have a total of 21 players signed to their roster in the offseason.

Unless something surprising happens the roster at this point is likely set but the Wolves could still sign a player or 2 that could figure into their roster this season.

Jesse Edwards is the 2-way guy I could see someone beating out for a spot. The Wolves with Connelly have shown they are willing to shuffle that spot even if a guy seemed locked in. First year it was a seasoned vet that lost their job to Luka Garza. Last year Matt Ryan lost his 2-way spot to Nix. I don't know who they would bring in that would take a spt from Edwards as a true big but I feel certain their are plenty of guys that could do it and I do like Jesse Edwards to some extent.

I dont think Dozier is gonna be cut but could someone else impress enough for the Wolves to sign them to an NBA deal and let Dozier go at the first date his guarantees end? Doubtful but maybe. You never know.

Meanwhile there are guys that will sign exhibit 10 contracts to get 50,000 guaranteed and eventually be waived and assigned to Iowa. Some or one of those guys will be at least mildly interesting in maybe making the roster in one way or another.

Anywho is there anyone you are dying to have on the Iowa Wolves this year? Another fringe guy or fringe vet you would like to see the Wolves give a non guaranteed deal too?

I'll throw out a couple names for fun.

Moses Brown is only a few months older than Jesse Edwards. He would need to be signed to an NBA roster spot to stick.

Usman Garuba is undersized and doesn't do much on offense but still is 22 and has shown some signs in the g-league last year of being able to hit a 3. For the people who like VORP he was a positive both years he was on the rockets when they were winning 20 games a year. He puts up some pretty good do shit stats. He might be eligible for a 2 way deal.
Last edited by Monster on Sun Aug 18, 2024 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KG4Ever

Re: last roster spots (most of these players will be sent to Iowa)

Post by KG4Ever »

I'm not excited about empty spot, Dozier or Edwards (the big) and so wouldn't mind signing Dennis Smith, Markelle Fultz, Cedi Osman, Nerlens Noel or Bruno Caboclo
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

Realistically I think the NBA roster is done adding. They will keep that 15th roster spot open, and will more then likely sign nix (can’t be on a 2-way next year) or Clark (because he deserves a long term contract) near the end of the year to make the player playoff eligible.

Hard to add a vet when they are not going to be in rotation and hard to convince Glen to add a guy when he is going you me taxed heavily on the player being a 2nd apron team when the guy won’t be in the rotation to start the year. (What I don’t blame Glen on)
Monster

Post by Monster »

KG4Ever wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 2:04 am I'm not excited about empty spot, Dozier or Edwards (the big) and so wouldn't mind signing Dennis Smith, Markelle Fultz, Cedi Osman, Nerlens Noel or Bruno Caboclo
Dennis Smith Jr would be a guy I think if he actually decided he would take the vet min to sign here the Wolves would be willing to sign him despite the lux penalties.

Caboclo is a guy that's intrigued me for a while. He would be more of a guy signed on a non-guaranteed deal trying to make the roster. I saw a headline the Cavs were interested but I don't know if that's actually true.
Monster

Post by Monster »

kekgeek wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 12:03 pm Realistically I think the NBA roster is done adding. They will keep that 15th roster spot open, and will more then likely sign nix (can’t be on a 2-way next year) or Clark (because he deserves a long term contract) near the end of the year to make the player playoff eligible.

Hard to add a vet when they are not going to be in rotation and hard to convince Glen to add a guy when he is going you me taxed heavily on the player being a 2nd apron team when the guy won’t be in the rotation to start the year. (What I don’t blame Glen on)
Like I said the last 2 seasons someone the Wolves brought on not too long before training camp ended up sticking on the roster via 2-way slots and guys that had inside tracks on those 2-way spots lost them. Those guys Garza and Nix are on the roster right now. If I'm a fringe NBA player that's still able to make it as a 2-way guy there are worse places to get a chance than the Wolves. We may not see any of the exhibit 10 guys signed for a few weeks. All those guys last year didn't sign till mid to late September.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

The Minnesota Timberwolves have agreed to deals with Skylar Mays and Eugene Omoruyi, sources told @hoopshype. Mays appeared in 38 combined games for the Portland Trail Blazers and Los Angeles Lakers last season. Omoruyi appeared in 43 games for the Washington Wizards last season.
Monster

Post by Monster »

kekgeek wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 5:17 pm The Minnesota Timberwolves have agreed to deals with Skylar Mays and Eugene Omoruyi, sources told @hoopshype. Mays appeared in 38 combined games for the Portland Trail Blazers and Los Angeles Lakers last season. Omoruyi appeared in 43 games for the Washington Wizards last season.
Neither of these guys are thrilling but Omoruyi has some NBA experience and still is able to be signed as a 2 way guy. He has some sort of chance to beat one of those guys out for a spot.

I remember Mays with the Blazers but what was the most interesting when I looked at his NBA stats are his assist numbers and the his TOs which were low. If you like VORP he has never been a negative there which might be impressive considering some teams he has played on. Could he be sort of a J-Mac type impact guy? Mays has not shoot many corner 3's and statistically has not shot those well. He would be an interesting player to have available down in Iowa if they had injuries to the PG spot. Last year in a few games in the G-league he was very efficient. He was more up and down the previous G-league season playing on 2 different teams.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Monster wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 6:18 pm
kekgeek wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 5:17 pm The Minnesota Timberwolves have agreed to deals with Skylar Mays and Eugene Omoruyi, sources told @hoopshype. Mays appeared in 38 combined games for the Portland Trail Blazers and Los Angeles Lakers last season. Omoruyi appeared in 43 games for the Washington Wizards last season.
Neither of these guys are thrilling but Omoruyi has some NBA experience and still is able to be signed as a 2 way guy. He has some sort of chance to beat one of those guys out for a spot.

I remember Mays with the Blazers but what was the most interesting when I looked at his NBA stats are his assist numbers and the his TOs which were low. If you like VORP he has never been a negative there which might be impressive considering some teams he has played on. Could he be sort of a J-Mac type impact guy? Mays has not shoot many corner 3's and statistically has not shot those well. He would be an interesting player to have available down in Iowa if they had injuries to the PG spot. Last year in a few games in the G-league he was very efficient. He was more up and down the previous G-league season playing on 2 different teams.
Wolves acquired Mays returning player rights in a G-League trade yesterday which shows they are planning on him being in Iowa. Interestingly it included trading returning player rights to the Knicks of Vit Krejčí who ended up with the Hawks last year and played well enough to earn a multi year deal this off-season in Atlanta with the first year guaranteed and the next season partially guaranteed.
WildWolf2813

Post by WildWolf2813 »

leave the last spot open and see if Clark defends enough to earn it by season's end.
KG4Ever

Post by KG4Ever »

Wolves sign Jaedon Ledee to Exhibit 10 deal.