Phenom

Re: Wolves traded Kat

Post by Phenom »

Tim Bontemps is reporting Charlotte is a third team
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

Yossi Gozlan tweet

The Minnesota Timberwolves stand to save $26.5 million in payroll and luxury tax penalties if they don't take on any additional salaries in this trade.

They are still set to be over the $188.9 million second apron this season. They're $14.5 million above it with 15 players.
WildWolf2813

Post by WildWolf2813 »

Jester1534 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 9:50 pm Yossi Gozlan tweet

The Minnesota Timberwolves stand to save $26.5 million in payroll and luxury tax penalties if they don't take on any additional salaries in this trade.

They are still set to be over the $188.9 million second apron this season. They're $14.5 million above it with 15 players.
They'll get under the 2nd apron by the end of the season.

Because I can see Randle going to Houston in February.
Phenom

Post by Phenom »

WildWolf2813 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 9:49 pm
Phenom wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 9:46 pm Reminds me of the KG trade. Trade with Boston after they trade their best asset to Seattle for Ray Allen. Why not do this before they trade all their picks to the Nets?
Because they don't get Bridges without those assets

Need to stay ahead of that, as Tim Connelly. One pick wouldn't have changed the outcome for Brooklyn
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

I am with Cool in that I will not lose any sleep over losing KAT. I think Donte is a really nice addition. I guess this means we will no longer have the "two-big lineup" moniker!

I don't mind the move, but it certainly puts into question what this team will look like and how we will match up with the rest of the West. I don't know! Although, we certainly seem to have a lot of potential on this roster.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

This is a terrible trade for the Wolves!! We’re getting a decent backup guard, a terrible PF with a bad attitude and 2 second round picks (no way Detroit’s pick protections won’t hold) for a perennial all-star who’s still under 30 years old and was a key to this team making the WC finals last season. Yes, we dump salary, but we remain above the second apron. Cool was right that we should have traded KAT two or three years ago. Having failed to catch that window, they needed to suck it up and keep him through next season. The deal for KAT next summer couldn’t have been worse.

I understand KAT’s weaknesses, but some fans don’t fully appreciate the attention he attracts on the court and his rebounding in addition to his highly efficient 20+ points per game scoring. Unless there’s something else coming back we haven’t heard about, this trade strikes me as a really dumb one.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

Lipoli390 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 9:58 pm This is a terrible trade for the Wolves!! We’re getting a decent backup guard, a terrible PF with a bad attitude and 2 second round picks (no way Detroit’s pick protections won’t hold) for a perennial all-star who’s still under 30 years old and was a key to this team making the WC finals last season. Yes, we dump salary, but we remain above the second apron. Cool was right that we should have traded KAT two or three years ago. Having failed to catch that window, they needed to suck it up and keep him through next season. The deal for KAT next summer couldn’t have been worse.

I understand KAT’s weaknesses, but some fans don’t fully appreciate the attention he attracts on the court and his rebounding in addition to his highly efficient 20+ points per game scoring. Unless there’s something else coming back we haven’t heard about, this trade strikes me as a really dumb one.
Completely agree with this Lip. You can’t tell me this type of trade wouldn’t be there after this year. Sometimes in basketball you just need an easy bucket and now the guy who could easily get you a bucket is gone.

Hopefully there flipping Randle for something else.
BloopOracle

Post by BloopOracle »

There better be a Naz extension by opening night before I jump off the nearest bridge
Crazysauce

Post by Crazysauce »

I will say the real value in this trade is Donte. The dude was a stud last year. He has one of the best contracts out there. Look at his numbers last year. Disappointed in the protection of the pistons pick.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Crazysauce wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 10:02 pm I will say the real value in this trade is Donte. The dude was a stud last year. He has one of the best contracts out there. Look at his numbers last year. Disappointed in the protection of the pistons pick.
Yeah he had a really nice season. The only concern with him is whether or not he stays healthy. Let's see the total trade is but it certainly still seems a little underwhelming for Towns. I could see the Wolves being able to flip both guys for something if that's the route they wanted to go.