Wolves traded Kat

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Lipoli390

Re: Wolves traded Kat

Post by Lipoli390 »

kekgeek wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2024 4:51 pm The Knicks-TWolves-Hornets trade involving Julius Randle, Karl Anthony Towns and Donte DiVincenzo is still on track, but not completed yet. The expectation is early this week, sources tell ESPN, which means the players involved will not be at media day as camps start to open Monday.
Thanks for the update, kek. Sort of a bummer.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Lipoli390 wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2024 5:30 pm
kekgeek wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2024 4:51 pm The Knicks-TWolves-Hornets trade involving Julius Randle, Karl Anthony Towns and Donte DiVincenzo is still on track, but not completed yet. The expectation is early this week, sources tell ESPN, which means the players involved will not be at media day as camps start to open Monday.
Thanks for the update, kek. Sort of a bummer.
It also leaves room for a possible 4th team to jump in if they want Randle. I'm not expecting that but it wouldn't be a surprise either.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

More of the process of the deal came out today. Knicks offered Randle and Robinson on draft day and the wolves said no. They added Donte a couple of weeks ago and they still said no. They added the first on Friday that got the deal done
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

kekgeek wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2024 1:58 pm More of the process of the deal came out today. Knicks offered Randle and Robinson on draft day and the wolves said no. They added Donte a couple of weeks ago and they still said no. They added the first on Friday that got the deal done
TC is ruthless!
Monster

Post by Monster »

60WinTim wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2024 2:17 pm
kekgeek wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2024 1:58 pm More of the process of the deal came out today. Knicks offered Randle and Robinson on draft day and the wolves said no. They added Donte a couple of weeks ago and they still said no. They added the first on Friday that got the deal done
TC is ruthless!
I think I remember a report around the draft that they offered Robinson and Randle. With Towns gone it would be nice to have another center but he would be kinda expensive as a backup C and as a trade asset the problem with him is I don't have much faith in him staying healthy. Regardless they needed more than that and DDV is more valuable than a backup C and then the draft pick is a nice asset to help the Wolves make another move later or maybe pick a guy at some point.

FWIW I could see the Pistons getting better even this year although obviously the bar is pretty low! Lol I think it's possible just a coaching change is worth a few wins. I'm a big fan of Monty Williams but something wasn't working there regardless of the injuries etc. JB isn't an elite head coach but he is a good one that probably is good for a young team and as one analyst said a couple year ago said he is a coach that won't screw things up. There is some talent in Detroit especially if they can stay healthy. They added some vet guys that can play and most of them seem like good dudes that will probably help young guys to some extent.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

Wolves also traded 2nd to the hornets
Monster

Post by Monster »

kekgeek wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2024 7:04 pm Wolves also traded 2nd to the hornets
It's the pick they got from the Kyle Anderson sign and trade.

2025 second (least favorable of Denver or Philly via Minnesota)

Keep in mind the Wolves still have Utah's 2025 2nd round pick so moving a likely lesser one to save some money works.

Let's get back to Kyle Anderson for a moment. Apparently the Timberwolves knew that the Knicks really wanted Towns and if they decided to give them enough back isn't he deal they would be acquiring Randle. Did they let Kyle Anderson go because they thought they Might get Randle? No but it makes letting Anderson go and adding a guy like Ingles instead make even more sense. Randle and Anderson on the same team would make less sense. Ultimately the Wolves moved on from Kyle because of salalry restraints plus they probably did have a good feel that Ingles or someone else worthwhile would sign with them. That was wise move plus they were able to get a pick in the sign and trade to send to the Hornets to make a deal and save some money.
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

I'm a TC fan. He is enormously important to this franchise. He's got my confidence and trust.
FNG

Post by FNG »

I just finished a 25 hour drive to Tucson during which I listened to a LOT of analysis about the deal, and I've concluded it was a good deal. TC had to move KAT eventually, and I agree that now gets him a better deal than next year. And kudos to TC for holding out long enough to get Donte and a pick. Is the deal a home run? Of course not. But knowing the difficult cap situation we are in and some of KAT's well known defects, I don't think anyone was expecting a home run. I do note that Hollinger said it added 3 wins to his projected win total, and also that our odds to win the title dropped a little. So, a couple endorsements for the deal.

KAT is a unique player and I'll miss him, but I won't miss his injuries, offensive fouls and playoff disappearances. I don't see Randle as an upgrade over KAT, but the combo of Randle and Donte may turn out to be an upgrade. I'm excited to see how it turns out.
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

FNG wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2024 10:28 pm I just finished a 25 hour drive to Tucson during which I listened to a LOT of analysis about the deal, and I've concluded it was a good deal. TC had to move KAT eventually, and I agree that now gets him a better deal than next year. And kudos to TC for holding out long enough to get Donte and a pick. Is the deal a home run? Of course not. But knowing the difficult cap situation we are in and some of KAT's well known defects, I don't think anyone was expecting a home run. I do note that Hollinger said it added 3 wins to his projected win total, and also that our odds to win the title dropped a little. So, a couple endorsements for the deal.

KAT is a unique player and I'll miss him, but I won't miss his injuries, offensive fouls and playoff disappearances. I don't see Randle as an upgrade over KAT, but the combo of Randle and Donte may turn out to be an upgrade. I'm excited to see how it turns out.
Yeah, a lot of the national NBA media talking heads seem pretty OK with this deal from a Wolves perspective even though they will spend 80% of their time talking about how it impacts the Knicks.

I was taken by surprise because I thought the window had passed for something like this to happen and just figured we would understandably run it back and give it one more shot with this iteration of the team and then reckon with everything next offseason.